X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
    Based on that list (especially the first two)... Let me recommend a book that changed my web-design life: O'Reilly Publisher's CSS: The Missing Manual

I HIGHLY recommend it
    Added to the list, thank you!

Comment

I just finished 'Han Fei Tzu: Basic Writings' Translated by Burton Watson

Its a group of political writings from the Legalist writer Han Fei Tzu (280 BC - 236 BC). Like most political writings, despite being over 2200 years old, it is still largely applicable to modern politics and government. I find some aspects of Legalism to be quite refreshing. ^v^

Next on the list, 'The Book of Lord Shang'. Another Legalist text which pre-dates Han Fei Tzu, and written by Shang Yang (390 BC – 338 BC) who was a major and early influence in Legalist ideology.

The only problem is that not many of the Legalist works are known in the West, and certainly not to the point that there are a plentiful number of translated copies readily available. The book I've been reading, for example, was from 1964, and most other translations are even older. Such as the 'Completed Works of Han Fei Tzu', which was published in 1921. 3:

Comment

I'm reading Stalingrad.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Finally finished Bred to kill. OMG. Kooky not sure if real or too unreal to not be real science who dun it by that french writer Thilliez. Amazing! And it sets up for a third book.

And while we wait...let's go back to an oldie but a goodie. Zombies!
          Part 3 of Joe McKinney's zombie series called Flesh Eaters.
          Yummy
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald
            "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

CSS: The Missing Manual (as recommended by ThorsSon ^^)

Also, this: http://www.underwatertimes.com/sharks/sharks.php
              One of my guilty little pleasures, seeing as how I'm addicted to all things sharks.

Comment

Four Seasons of Mojo: An Herbal Guide to Natural Living by Stephanie Rose Bird

Comment

The Book of Lord Shang, as translated by Dr. J.J.L. Duyvendak

I must say that while I enjoy this text as well, it is not the same level of enjoyment that I got out of reading Han Fei Tzu's works. Lord Shang seems to really like his farming though. :P

Comment

It's weird, but - for the first time since I learned to read - I've found myself doing almost no casual reading. I was getting a little worried, in fact, but then I realized what was happening. I'm now editing a series of nine novels, which is a project with a total of about 675,000 words. I spend so much time editing lately that this has become my reading fix. And, by now, I am actually looking forward to reading someone else's work in a few months' time when this project is all but complete. So I am (very slowly and lightly) reading my copy of The Age of Fable from Bulfinch's Mythology as I edit my novels and considering the vast array of possibilities for when I get to read something by someone else for a change.
                    OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                    The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                    Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

So, still reading kids stories from my textbooks... I hate to admit it, but they keep igniting pretty powerful emotions in me. The one I just read, was about a woodpecker who had a little shop where he'd sell sounds that other animals could enjoy listening to. It started to rain, and the woodpacker told the baby mice to be very quiet and close their eyes. They started to hear all the sounds around them.. the rain bouncing off the leaves, the sound as it falls against the earth.. even distant echoes from the outer edges of the birch woodland. I think because I have had so many moving experiences of using 'mindfulness' exercises the story made me a little bit sentimental. I'm not sure I should be finding children's stories so spiritually enriching...

... Just imagine what I'll be like when I'm able to read books for adults.. it's gonna blow my mind..
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Have only browsed over a couple of pages so far but I received Hippocrates' Woman: Reading the Female Body in Ancient Greece, 1998, Routledge ISBN-13: 9780415138956, in the mail today by Helen King.

Hippocrates' Woman demonstrates the role of Hippocratic ideas about the female body in the subsequent history of western gynaecology. It examines these ideas not only in the social and cultural context in which they were first produced, but also the ways in which writers up to the Victorian period have appealed to the material in support of their own theories
                        http://www.amazon.com/Hippocrates-Wo.../dp/0415138957
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The Toilers of the Sea.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Finally finished Dead World Flesh Eaters (book 3). Now onto Mutated by the same author. I'm so excited. Past characters from the previous books appear here. I'm so into the zombie times. Good times.
                            Oh you can read my review here

Comment

I'm trying to make my way through Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy. I read and enjoyed The Road, and then No Country for Old Men, but man...Blood Meridian is HARD. I never know what's going on. He'll spend a page describing a guy smoking a cigarello, but only half a sentence for an entire massacre. My brain is having trouble with this one.

I also started reading The Romance of Lust, a victorian erotic novel written in 1873. And the first 1/3 of the book was entertaining, but I'm coming to realize the entire book is actually just a teenager having sex over and over again. It's becoming dull - I may not finish.*

*Much like real life.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                                I'm trying to make my way through Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy. I read and enjoyed The Road, and then No Country for Old Men, but man...Blood Meridian is HARD. I never know what's going on. He'll spend a page describing a guy smoking a cigarello, but only half a sentence for an entire massacre. My brain is having trouble with this one.

*Much like real life.
                                Oh good. I'm not the only one. I heard this was one of the darkest books to read. It was actually on a top 25 best horror books simply for the brutal nature of the book. But yeah, could not get into it to save my life. It's one of those I have to put away till I can be in the frame of mind for it.

So I finished my 4 book saga of Joe McKinney's Dead World series. The last being Mutated. Pretty much went from zombie outbreak due to a hurricane in Houston. Lead to zombies swimming in the floods. And ended with zombie levels 1 through 3. They mutate to come right back around to cognitive thinking (if they last long enough and not get shot in the brainz). I feel I've left a family of characters I adored and invested in. Always a good sign for a writer.

Now something of a lighter fair? Oh who am I kidding? Not zombies. Let's break a bit again. Going to What Dreams may come by Matheson.

Oh yeah. I'm ready for the complete and utter breakdown of all my feelz. Gonna get the feels envelope ready for the mailman to pick up. I have three days off.

Let's do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X