X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Oh good. I'm not the only one. I heard this was one of the darkest books to read. It was actually on a top 25 best horror books simply for the brutal nature of the book. But yeah, could not get into it to save my life. It's one of those I have to put away till I can be in the frame of mind for it.
    Yeah, you'll be reading, and Kid is just walking along, and then BOOM SOMEONE GETS SCALPED.

Mostly art.

Comment

Sacred Depths of Nature by Ursula Goodenough (its a feracking great book about religious naturalism by a biologist), The Solitary Druid by Skip Ellison, Diary of a Citizen Scientist by Sharman Apt Russell, and Some like it Witchy by Heather Blake (its a fluff mystery)
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

The celtic twilight by w.b. yeats
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I'm reading 'The Boys of '67.' It's a great book about Vietnam so far.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I lied! I ditched What dreams may come. I'm back with Apocalypse!

Maureen F McHugh After the apocalypse. It's not zombies though. It's more a short story collection of events after certain catastrophes like crazy flu etc. Can't wait!

(puts on hazmat suit and sprays down with Lysol)
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Finals....finals....finals... wait-is this an essay question discussion board, or is this true/false?

Comment

Sacred Sage

Weather Wisdom

Cop Book

The Herb Book

Comment

I finished The End is Nigh. And now I'm on to the second of the Trptych called The End is Now! It's the continuation of short stories from the first. So each author picks up their first one about the end of the world scenarios. So good.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm reading The Coldest Winter. It's a book about the Korean War.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

The Complete Works of HP Lovecraft, alternated between Peter Pan. Cats of Ulthar is my new favorite.

Comment

Started Orpheus and the Roots of Platonism today, slender but chewy. Seems like I always end up posting something that makes me sound like the dullest person on earth. Perhaps I am.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                          Started Orpheus and the Roots of Platonism today, slender but chewy. Seems like I always end up posting something that makes me sound like the dullest person on earth. Perhaps I am.
                          I could give you a run for your money - that sounds like something I'd read (I find the Platonists and their influence interesting)
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Laurell K Hamilton Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. There is 22 in the series, it started back in 93 which is fun for me. In 93 I was 7 so hearing about pagers and clothing is entertaining. I cannot wait to see how it progresses into the future. I am on book 7 now. Has anyone else read the series?
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Hamilton gets increasingly fond of long sex scenes after a certain point and she ends up grafting a psychotic number of super-powers on to Blake but the story stays relatively entertaining regardless and she pays a lot of attention to the background setting which will undergo changes on a national level as the timeline progresses. I don't remember the point you're at well enough to comment on what changes to expect in the background.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Book 7 is Burnt Offerings. Book 6 is about a contract being put on Anita. I don't want to give to much away in case someone decides to read it. At the start of 7 there has only been one sex scene and that was close to the end of 6. I did hear that as she progressed it did become more sexual but hopefully it doesn't detract from the stories themselves. I have liked what I have read so far.
                                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                                X