This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I kind of envision a time where your TV, will be much more..In a sense you will become connected to many things,and choose from a menu your media.

Say today you want to read or listen to a book,go to the lib section and stream a book,or audio book,or stream a movie,or read or listen to the book,then watch the movie.
    then check out the sound track..etc
    and most likely a fee for access to everything..so your internet provider becomes more like a very comprehensive "Cable",even your phone would be through the system.

I might guess sooner or later this would be all Google,as they seem to be moving in that direction.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      I kind of envision a time where your TV, will be much more..In a sense you will become connected to many things,and choose from a menu your media.

Say today you want to read or listen to a book,go to the lib section and stream a book,or audio book,or stream a movie,or read or listen to the book,then watch the movie.
      then check out the sound track..etc
      and most likely a fee for access to everything..so your internet provider becomes more like a very comprehensive "Cable",even your phone would be through the system.

I might guess sooner or later this would be all Google,as they seem to be moving in that direction.
      I'm writing a futuristic sort of science fiction parable in which there is, in the near future, a global revolution. No more money. Money is done away with and science and technology provides everything needed by every man, woman and child. The infrastructure is pretty much done away with. There are no telephone lines, no cable TV, no power lines, very few roads above the surface. I'm trying to envision how all communications might be used under those circumstances. Similar to what you are describing. Maybe ordering groceries and products online and they are delivered to your supplies, perhaps saving on having to package many things like laundry soap, etc.

The music and entertainment "business" would be gone (no money) and entertainment would be offered by anyone who wanted to provide it. like on You Tube. No radio towers, or cell phone towers.

Comment

There is a theory about money..as it is now,money exists ONLY in electronic form(we still have cash,but it is becoming less and less the norm) the Theory is that if the "Money" stops being moved around(buying and selling,even things that have no actual physical existence,like futures of things)if the "Money" stops moving,the economy of the planet will crash.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Right now I'm reading a couple, Shadowmarch by Tad Williams, which is turning out to be a wicked awesome fantasy novel (almost finished), and Four Queens by Nancy Goldstone, a history of four sisters from the historical fief Provence that all married kings of different nations in the thirteenth century.

Comment

Finished Hugh Howey's Shift. Now to the final book Dust! I'm so excited!
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              People have a hard time understanding how you could read two books at once,but my son used to read 5 at the same time,me at most could do 2 like yourself...its just a thing,and more like if you are a reading fiend,and devour books
              It's a thing I got from my Mom. I usually don't read two books at the same time, but one of them looked so interesting that I just had to start it.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I'm reading Frankenstein and Dracula at the same time, and I'm hoping to get my hands on The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I love old horrors.
                Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

The older books seem at least to me so much better written..Not sure why,but they pull you right into the story..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
                    I'm reading Frankenstein and Dracula at the same time, and I'm hoping to get my hands on The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I love old horrors.
                    Dracula was one of the best books I've ever read, I was really surprised by how well written it is, despite how cheesey pop culture tends to portray him.

If you like those kinds of books, you might enjoy The Italian by Ann Radcliffe. She's one of the forerunners of the Gothic and horror genres.

Comment

I too do double duty. I like to have a good fiction and non fiction going on at the same time. Usually a zombie story with a break of some sort of plague break out.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Lovecraft's explanation on horror in literature.

Comment

I've just finished Aradia, or the Gospel of the Witches, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm actually looking into more books on the subject of Aradia and Diana between the 14th century and modern day.
                          Circe

Comment

It is interesting that "the gospel of the Witches" was supposedly written from a visit by Charles Godfrey Leland to a member of the Stregheria. There is some dispute about Leland and just how he got the Witch to reveal the essence La Vecchia Religione.

I leave it to others to determine the path this written work produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stregheria

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I've just started reading Dan Abnett's "Eisenhorn" trilogy. I've read it before, but it's been such a long time I figure it would be time to do it again. I hadn't realized that he's been one of the story idea guys behind Marvel for a while, as well as an author!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                                I've just finished Aradia, or the Gospel of the Witches, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm actually looking into more books on the subject of Aradia and Diana between the 14th century and modern day.
                                I was constantly being hounded by wiccan friends to read this when I was in my early twenties and never got around to it. Maybe one day...

At the moment I'm reading 'The Pow Burn North Shields: Once an Important Tributary to the River Tyne' by Mike N. Coates. I finally got my hands on this, and another book by the same author that covers a wider area than just the Pow Burn. I'm already a bit clearer on how I can work with this buried river, and I can feel a ritual coming on..
                                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                                X