This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Today, I finished reading "Heroes, Gods, and Monsters of the Greek Myths" by Bernard Evslin. It was part of required reading assigned over the summer.

Comment

i keep telling myself that I'll pick up my book again resume reading through Lovecraft. Only this time without crying like a girl.

Comment

I'm reading Don Quixote

Comment

Just finished "Go Set A Watchman" and "How East New York Became A Ghetto".
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

So,how was "Go set a watchman" in comparison to "To kill a mockingbird"?
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              So,how was "Go set a watchman" in comparison to "To kill a mockingbird"?
              It takes place later, when Scout is in her mid-20's. The writing style is the same, and I liked it a great deal. It's very thought-provoking.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                It takes place later, when Scout is in her mid-20's. The writing style is the same, and I liked it a great deal. It's very thought-provoking.
                I need this in audiobook!
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  I was constantly being hounded by wiccan friends to read this when I was in my early twenties and never got around to it. Maybe one day...

At the moment I'm reading 'The Pow Burn North Shields: Once an Important Tributary to the River Tyne' by Mike N. Coates. I finally got my hands on this, and another book by the same author that covers a wider area than just the Pow Burn. I'm already a bit clearer on how I can work with this buried river, and I can feel a ritual coming on..
                  It's pretty good. I dunno if I would really consider it a wiccan book per say but it does play up goddess worship with Diana as the queen of heaven, queen of the faeries, and makes an implication of her involvement in creation. Despite some obvious Christianized elements, there's quite a bit preserved from traditional elements of witchcraft. I don't take it all as fact, but I affirm there is merit in reading it.
                  Circe

Comment

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I can't believe I've never read it before. I'm from KS for crying out loud!
                    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Ever get into a trilogy and you just don't get the last book? I'm so not into Dust. It's all pedestrian now that I know about the future world and the silos. I haven't picked it up for like 2 weeks. Meh. It's not like I have to listen to it.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Seax_Blade View Post
                        I'm reading Don Quixote
                        Have you been watching the Newsroom? ;p

I'm reading Dune. Apparently it's the best sci-fi ever written and influenced Star Wars. What's your opinion on this MO?

Comment

That it's the best sci-fi ever? Hell no. The first Dune (the series got worse after, so only the first is relevant) was good, don't get me wrong but it wasn't that good.

That it influenced Star Wars? Err, maybe... I'd have to see the argument for that but it's possible I guess.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            That it's the best sci-fi ever? Hell no. The first Dune (the series got worse after, so only the first is relevant) was good, don't get me wrong but it wasn't that good.

That it influenced Star Wars? Err, maybe... I'd have to see the argument for that but it's possible I guess.
                            The first Dune was fantastic... Best? Well, I love it, but best in in the eye of the beholder... As far as influencing Star Wars...

... well, obviously. In the same way that the Foundation trilogy, many, many pulps, Star Trek, etc., etc., ad infinitum did. By imagining a Galactic Empire and writing space opera about it.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Myself loved "Stranger in a strange land"...was one of my favs after "Foundation"(Asamov was my first SF read)
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Alright, finished yesterday the Throne of Fire and now starting The Serpent's Shadow. Mmmm.. The third book is a bit harder to understand for me. Without any connection to the language, whether it's Hebrew or English. It's written in a bit confusing way. I get different pictures of what's happening in both languages. Welp, whatever.. I want to enjoy the book.
                                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X