This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

On the very last chunk of The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest, it's AH-MAZING
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I'm currently working through the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey. I've heard it mentioned a few times on here and decided to check it out and I'm in love. I've read it a little out of order. I started with Imriel's books and am now on the second of Phedre's, which I kind of regret because I have an idea about what's coming up in Phedre's books but it hasn't completely ruined the surprises so that's a good thing. I just didn't realize there were multiple series when I started so... oh well.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Just finished Let's Pretend This Never Happened, by Jenny Lawson, who blogs under the name The Bloggess.

It both hit awfully close to home and made me feel surprisingly normal. Maybe someday I'll have the gift of being able to joke about my family that way.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I'm generally a nostalgic reader these days, rereading old things that incite a feeling that nothing else can.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I'm reading "so you want to be a wizard", by Diane Duane. It's the first book in a series by her. This book was recommended to me by a friend and it's seems like a good book, so far. I checked it out from the library, (it's an ebook).

Comment

Today I have been mostly reading The Cauldron of Poesy by Liam Breathnach, P. L. Henry and comparing it with a neopagan version done in the 90s thats online everywhere. It looks to me like the neopagan version was trying to codify neopagan religious belief by mixing the two translations while removing all the christian, historical and mythological context and replacing it with neopaganism. A neopagan bible is probably out there some where.

The first verse
              Mine is the proper Cauldron of 'Goriath',
              warmly God has given it to me out of the mysteries of the elements;
              a noble privilege which ennobles the breast
              is the fine speech which pours forth from it.
              My fine cauldron of dutiful maintenance
              which God has given to me from out of the mysterious elements,
              noble decision that magnifies the womb
              which pours forth the noble language of poetry.
              3.Neopagan.
              My true Cauldron of Incubation
              It has been taken by the Gods from the mysteries of the elemental abyss
              A fitting decision that ennobles one from one's center
              that pours forth a terrifying stream of speech from the mouth
              Going by the poetic licence there if there is a bible it wont be exactly gospel but itd be an interesting thing to read.

Comment

Im still reading Gede Parma's "Spirited". I really enjoy this book- it's a lot of things I already know but his voice and approach are refreshing.
                Then i'm planning to read Gender Outlaws though I don't really want to. The person I've been dating gave it to me as my "summer reading assignment". :P

selume proferre

Comment

A Dictionary of Urglaawe Terminology by Robert L. Schreiwer, Ammerili Eckhart and the second book to Fifty Shades of Grey.

Comment

City of lost souls by cassandra clare but the next book in the series doesn't come out until 2014

Comment

Text removed by staff. Forgery is not accepted here at PF.

Comment

I just finished reading Beautiful Creatures (don't tell anyone I'm reading YA... it was free, I couldn't help it!) but now I'm re-reading the Animorphs series after a painful experience: water got into my storage building and ruined my entire Animorphs series, so I am reading the ebooks to heal from the loss of my childhood collection. I don't know if I'll read them all, but I wanted to read the first ones again at least. From there, I have a new book on Dionysos I need to get started on.

Comment

Animorphs was a good series. Not enthused with the last two books but all in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
                            -Confucius

Blog

Comment

Picked up a used copy of "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE to Paganism" at the Mid west Witch's Bazaar last week which is a free part of the Witch's Ball open to all (if anybody lives near metro Detroit they should stop by this event, you could meet Mr. Corbin there.)and stop laughing as it has given me some insight on some of the Pagan paths I didn't know about other than their names. I'm liking it because it is well written by a one of us and not one sided. Besides that it was only five bucks and in very good shape.
                              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

I am reading America Again: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't, Stephen Colbert. It reads much like he speaks on his show, It is funny though.
                                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                                X