X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

The Korean War by Max Hastings.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I just picked up Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut. It's a collection of short stories, I read it years ago and just picked up the ebook version for $1.99 on amazon. Can't wait to read it again. If your a fan it's on sale till the end of the month, under either monthly deals or holiday deals section of the kindle store.

Comment

I have read all of his books...great author,great reading.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by pillar View Post
          I just picked up Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut. It's a collection of short stories, I read it years ago and just picked up the ebook version for $1.99 on amazon. Can't wait to read it again. If your a fan it's on sale till the end of the month, under either monthly deals or holiday deals section of the kindle store.
          I still have my paperback version from a college English class in 1976. (The price on the book is $1.95.) Harrison Bergeron remains one of my favorite stories.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Blood Meridian. What have you done to me? I had to do a chapter by chapter summery when I finished the audiobook.

And damn you McCarthy! Give us a proper ending! Not some weird cryptic stuff. Still, I felt I was transported to the old west..the vile, gritty, blunt and bloody old west.

Bleak. Just like The Road. Only I didn't cry as much as just accept quietly all the killing.

Now to a short Stephen King story called The Jaunt. Travel.

And then following up back to my comfy zone.

Immune. about zombies,duh.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              Blood Meridian. What have you done to me? I had to do a chapter by chapter summery when I finished the audiobook.

And damn you McCarthy! Give us a proper ending! Not some weird cryptic stuff. Still, I felt I was transported to the old west..the vile, gritty, blunt and bloody old west.

Bleak. Just like The Road. Only I didn't cry as much as just accept quietly all the killing.

Now to a short Stephen King story called The Jaunt. Travel.

And then following up back to my comfy zone.

Immune. about zombies,duh.
              McCarthy will ruin your life. I went through a phase where I read The Road, No Country for Old Men, Suttree, and Blood Meridian back to back. I had to read fluff for a few months afterwards.

He messes a person up inside.

Mostly art.

Comment

I watched the movie version of "The road" and was depressed for a week..bleek only covers a small part of it...
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  McCarthy will ruin your life. I went through a phase where I read The Road, No Country for Old Men, Suttree, and Blood Meridian back to back. I had to read fluff for a few months afterwards.

He messes a person up inside.
                  I can't handle McCarthy. Lack of punctuation and capitalization raises my blood pressure.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    I can't handle McCarthy. Lack of punctuation and capitalization raises my blood pressure.
                    Funny you mention that. I read allot of reviews on goodreads before deciding which audiobook I'm going to listen to. I've listened to a few that had bad reviews on the grammar etc. And I'm like nope, didn't even notice!

Yes McCarthy has effed me up. But I can't stay away. I'm an emotionally numb body. The only way I can feel is to feel vicariously through the author's character. And beside a few other authors, no one has gotten to me like he does.

I read The Road, watched The Road and listened to The Road. Telling myself each time I would never return to it. But there was something so...sadly familiar with the bleak hopelessness and numbness of that story, I craved it to just...feel.

Comment

Funny you mention that. I read allot of reviews on goodreads before deciding which audiobook I'm going to listen to. I've listened to a few that had bad reviews on the grammar etc. And I'm like nope, didn't even notice!
                      Yup - and I can tell you that English teachers love his writing. It's not a problem with his writing, it's a problem with me... I just don't get it.

Doesn't maen there's a problem with it, just means I miss something.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yes McCarthy has effed me up. But I can't stay away. I'm an emotionally numb body. The only way I can feel is to feel vicariously through the author's character. And beside a few other authors, no one has gotten to me like he does.

I read The Road, watched The Road and listened to The Road. Telling myself each time I would never return to it. But there was something so...sadly familiar with the bleak hopelessness and numbness of that story, I craved it to just...feel.
                        I feel the same way. I feel like McCarthy ruins me as a person for weeks after I read it - but I can't help myself. That's why I've read so many of them. And then I thought watching the film adaptations to The Road and No Country for Old Men would be different. But nope.

Mostly art.

Comment

Omg, I totally lucked out on this audiobook called Immune. The entire thing is one narrator doing not only voices, but there is also background foley sounds. It's like an old radio serial. It's awesome. Especially when they do all the zombie noises. It's pretty creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            Yup - and I can tell you that English teachers love his writing.
                            Well, yeah! Grammar and spelling are easily tossed out the window in actual literature, where both are used for effect--to portray dialects (to make written words more like spoken words in general), to emphasize ideas, to add texture and context to the words on the page. When I took creative writing, our teacher said something along the lines of, "You have to know the rules to break them properly." Some of the best writers do it, and they do it on purpose. Some terrible writers do it, and they don't do it on purpose.

It's not a problem with his writing, it's a problem with me... I just don't get it.

Doesn't mean there's a problem with it, just means I miss something.
                            Faulkner.

I despise Faulkner.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

McCarthy is an incredible writer. But he leaves me on the verge of suicidal for a long time afterwards. I stay away in the interest of my own mental health.

Faulkner takes a lot of patience. Also, I think changes in culture in the last forty to fifty years make it difficult to appreciate in the same way it was appreciated earlier on. Lots of work.

Currently, I am very excited about finally finding a copy of American Gods at the library. I'm really enjoying it so far.

edited for spelling
                              Last edited by Prickly Pear; 04 Jan 2017, 11:13.

Comment

Dead Things by Matt Darst.

My second audiobook of the month! I'm on track with my goal!

Oh yeah. About zombies.

Comment

Working...
                                X