On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Re: Things that make you smile

Awww, that is wonderful! I'm somehow always struck by stories about people who keep contact with their friends. It does take some effort (and guts) sometimes...

(But seriously, is UK food as bad as people say it is? *recalls a documentary including stir-fried chocolate bars*)
      Tannya is really special to me. I owe a lot of my confidence with Japanese conversation to her. Before she took me under her wing I was really shy to speak. She gave me the kick up the ass I needed to start just trying my best. Before I knew it, my best started getting better and better. I literally couldn't have done that without her. When she finally left I felt such a feeling of loss. I often joked at the time that had I been single, we'd have probably hooked up (she's bisexual too, so it would have been possible, although I'm probably a bit too old for her). We used to sit up through the night on my nights off, just chatting about anything and everything in Japanese. I have a really fond memory of the time there was a storm raging outside while we chatted. Now she's in Indonesia, her skype connection isn't good enough, so I never get to hear her voice any more. It makes her seem all the more far away.

As for the food, I manage to avoid the very worst of British food because I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat the fish and chips, kebabs and takeaways that are the main vices of the diet over here. It's not so much that our food is bad, in fact traditional home cooking is very balanced and flavourful, but that our eating habits are. Like, I obviously have a fair few friends from East Asia. Over there they don't generally avoid carbs or think white rice is evil. They eat rice with almost every meal. They enjoy sweet treats (if you can call 'an' which is some kind of strange red bean paste stuff, sweet), they go crazy for cakes, especially spongecake with cream, and almost every Japanese friend I have can be bought with chocolate. They eat large meals too. Yet they don't have our weight problems. It's partly genetics, but it's also the way they eat that lets them have their cake and eat it too! Once Tannya went home and started eating Indonesian style meals, the weight just dropped off. Lots of my friends complain they gained weight after moving here. I have a friend who has lived here for 8 years, but recently went back to Japan to do a year-long assignment out there. She had grown quite round while here, yet within months of returning to Japan, she was thinner than I've ever seen her.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

the veggie orchestra...
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

One of my second cousins came out as trans on Facebook today. I already knew about it, because her oma told the rest of the family at her 70th birthday party and my mom passed on the info afterwards, but I'm glad to see she is ready to publicly be herself. I'm super proud of her, and I'm really proud of my whole family, who have all been really supportive of her. There are two choices people have when someone comes out: be a bigot, or accept the person for who they are. They chose the latter.

Comment

It's raining, and I have the day off so I can sit inside in my pj's and watch it. Perfect relaxing/reading day.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! the fabled PJ day....a taste of nirvana...
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I have to admit, not a lot these days, but today...

It's 20C out. It's sunny and warm. And the dog, myself, and four of my good friends are hiking in to a lake this evening, and camping under the midnight sun.

yay camping!

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  I have to admit, not a lot these days, but today...

It's 20C out. It's sunny and warm. And the dog, myself, and four of my good friends are hiking in to a lake this evening, and camping under the midnight sun.

yay camping!
                  20C??? I'm so jealous!!!
                  Enjoy the camping!
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

One more night of sleeping cuddled up with the hubby!
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

The 37 year drought is over!! All hail Amerian Pharoah, Triple Crown winner!
                      Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 06 Jun 2015, 18:42.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Mint Juleps all around!
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! the fabled PJ day....a taste of nirvana...
                          Yep, it's my neutral state.

Thunderstorm outside right now makes me happy. For some reason there's also a spider trying to get up on my lap for the past 15 minutes, which is a little odd. I'm chalking that up to the lightning though.

Comment

Ok, one more.

659833.jpg

Comment

VACATION! Just submitted my last exam paper this term
                              Dobby is a free elf! ... sorry. I had to.
                              You remind me of the babe
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                                VACATION! Just submitted my last exam paper this term
                                Dobby is a free elf! ... sorry. I had to.
                                Can I have my sock back, then?
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X