X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that make you smile

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    I'm messing with growing oysters (normally, I use sterile culture techniques, but I'm playing with less technical methods for my "amateur scientist" blog). If I can get a viable culture going, I'll send you a sack of oyster mycelium to grow on coffee grounds...

Chanterelles! I can't grow those - complex relationship between fungus and environment... I 'll be looking for Death Trumpets (a type of chanterelle) next. They are unbelievable tasty! I can't even describe how utterly exquisite they are!
    That would be amazing!!!! I will see if we can get Death trumpets in. If they are in season, I bet we can bring some in. We like playing with different things. Feature tonight was Opah. Big nice "meaty" pieces. Kinda like a swordfish but I'm gonna go ahead and say better. Pan seared and then we crusted it.

- - - Updated - - -

opah raw.jpgopah.jpg

Before I seared it and the finished plate.

- - - Updated - - -

opah raw.jpgopah.jpg

"If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
      That would be amazing!!!! I will see if we can get Death trumpets in. If they are in season, I bet we can bring some in. We like playing with different things. Feature tonight was Opah. Big nice "meaty" pieces. Kinda like a swordfish but I'm gonna go ahead and say better. Pan seared and then we crusted it.

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4028[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4029[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4028[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4029[/ATTACH]

The finished plate looks tasty! What does swordfish taste like? I've never had it because I live smack dab in the middle of fricking South Dakota.
      "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

The back room in my house that I'm re-doing makes me smile. Back when my grandparents owned the house, that room was a dark, dim den that they used to watch tv in, with barely enough room for a rickety tv stand, a small coffee table, and a beat up old sofa. And everything in the room, from the carpet to the furniture to the walls was some shade of brown. Even the curtains, which were almost always drawn, were dingy. Over the past two weeks, I've been ripping up carpeting, giving the walls a thick white prime coat of paint, and removing all of the old stuff that has been cluttering it ever since I bought the house 8 years ago.

So far, I've gotten all the junk out of the room, given it a coat of paint called diamond mine, installed a brand new three bulb overhead light with fan, replaced the air vents with new snazzy covers, and fixed the screens in all the windows (it's only a 10'x10' space, but has six big windows) so they can be opened. Once everything is all done, it is going to become my new computer room. I've also taken my grandparents' old dining table that I don't use and am turning it into two corner desks. I've finished one so far sans painting. It's not only been wicked satisfying doing all of this stuff myself, but it's also made my dad extremely happy to finally see the house he grew up in getting some extra love.

Here, you can kind of see the paint color, and what the desk looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post

Are those 9X9 tiles?
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Are those 9X9 tiles?
            Yes, in fact they are. Rather hideous, actually. That's what was under the carpet. They're been there so long that my father and my uncle don't ever remember seeing them, so they've been hidden for at least 60 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
              Yes, in fact they are. Rather hideous, actually. That's what was under the carpet. They're been there so long that my father and my uncle don't ever remember seeing them, so they've been hidden for at least 60 years.
              You should probably assume they have asbestos in them. 9x9 (also 12x12) vinyl from that time period were generally asbestos containing. As long as its not friable, its not ordinarily an issue...but if you are planning to do the floors, its something you need to look into. Not just because of the regulations, but ya know, your lungs.

ETA: You know you need a different job when your eye misses what can only be a vastly improved renovation and only notices the probably asbestos flooring. Blegh.
              Last edited by thalassa; 13 Jun 2015, 07:49.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Woah Thal. You are going on my zombie apocalypse list. You can probably tell me what body parts are too infected to eat!
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Gas Mask View Post
                  The finished plate looks tasty! What does swordfish taste like? I've never had it because I live smack dab in the middle of fricking South Dakota.
                  It tastes like chicken.

Naw, I've had it before, but can't remember exactly what it tastes like.

I've heard that "it tastes like chicken" isn't exactly just a contrived cliche, and that physiologically, some tastes end up being perceived as 'chicken' by default.

Comment

My own absent-mindedness (even though it's embarrassing):
                    I somehow managed to walk all the way to work without even noticing that I had a hiking shoe in one foot and working shoe in the other. They don't even look the same!
                    baah.

Comment

I was feeling really lonely yesterday, and I've been struggling with anxiety lately (job search + anxiety = no bueno) ...so I scrounged up a few dollars and went to the coffee shop with a book and my headphones, and ordered a tea. A lady with a big backpack (mushroom picker) asked if I could watch her bag for her. I said yes. She came and sat down when she got back, and we chatted, and it had turned out she didn't have a place to stay for the night, so I told her, that if she didn't mind, I didn't mind she come and stay with me.

So she stayed the night, and all of today until now when her friend showed up, and they are leaving to go mushroom picking for a few weeks. We had fun, though. We cooked dinner, and walked the dog together, and I made her breakfast in the morning, and I toured her around town and showed her some of the sights. I showed her how to use her compass, and I printed her out a topo map of the area they will be picking and then highlighted all the streams and marshes for her. I gave them a bottle of homemade port to share for their first big day of picking, as a celebration. She bought me a bag of veggies and gave me $20 in return, and told me, if I was ever in her hometown, to call her up, and stay.

It was nice.

Mostly art.

Comment

Guess who's lying under a giant blanket fort that fills the whole living room, with 5 friends.. yeah, I am!! Lying here drinking beer, and telling jokes.. this... Is.. awesome...

I will grow up. Just give me a bit more time...
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Seax_Blade View Post
                          It tastes like chicken.

Naw, I've had it before, but can't remember exactly what it tastes like.

I've heard that "it tastes like chicken" isn't exactly just a contrived cliche, and that physiologically, some tastes end up being perceived as 'chicken' by default.
                          Opah is a very "meaty" fish. Its very firm and its rich and creamy in flavor.
                          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

So I got my forklift certification today! We had to do a quiz and then move a pallet back and forth through the warehouse. At one point she makes you back up while casually standing behind you. You are supposed to let her know to move out of the way.

So I yelled MOVE OUTTA THE WAY!

She said it was the best one yet.

Oh. She also said I was the fastest. I put my pedal to the metal
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              So I got my forklift certification today! We had to do a quiz and then move a pallet back and forth through the warehouse. At one point she makes you back up while casually standing behind you. You are supposed to let her know to move out of the way.

So I yelled MOVE OUTTA THE WAY!

She said it was the best one yet.

Oh. She also said I was the fastest. I put my pedal to the metal
                              I told ya it was easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Me? I went to the hardware store and got some uber cheap car things to finish making my car bed a camping mobile. Mistint paint, magnets, and bug screen! ME AND MY MISTINT PEACH PAINTED BED ARE READY FOR YOU WORLD. (and you too, mosquitoes. f you)

Mostly art.

Comment

Duce's tricked out fork lift.
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X