X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confessions

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
    Sounds like a good thing to me.

Yet you don't really live in Canada so what sounds good to somebody in the UK won't sound good to somebody here, different situations. Our military struggles to arm itself with anything properly functioning. We bought submarines from the UK and they literally had leaks in them, a UK MP recommended we get a refund. Especially after a 32 year old Canadian soldier died in one of the Submarines maiden voyages from a fire. So no honestly it's not a good thing, I'm not saying I want an offensive military, I wan't one thats capable and well equipped enough. We recently tried to replace our CF-18 hornet fighter jets (A jet from the god damned late 1970's) but had to stop because the costs were too high. This isn't even fair to our working class soldiers, they deserve to know that if they do get deployed they'll have reasonable equipment that will hopefully keep them safe and let them come home. Not a good thing, you don't live in Canada so you don't understand the local landscape.

Submarines article.
    A British MP says Canada got a bad deal on the second-hand submarines it bought from the U.K. in 1998 and should consider asking for a refund.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
      [/FONT]
      We bought submarines from the UK and they literally had leaks in them
      lol, that'll teach ya to buy from us con-artists

Doesn't matter which country I'm in anyway, I'm not a fan of any militaries of any size.
      Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

lol, that'll teach ya to buy from us con-artists

Doesn't matter which country I'm in anyway, I'm not a fan of any militaries of any size.
        Yes and in a fairy tale world one day every government on earth would wake up one day and think that at the same time. But until then to prepare for peace is to prepare for war. Disarming yourself when a bunch of douchebags are armed is not exactly a sound way to protect anybody, you'll just let the douchebags expand.

- - - Updated - - -

I also don't want to be mister "anti humour" but I'm not laughing about that submarine situation, one of our soldiers died on what was supposed to be a really big day for the military. He had a reasonable expectation to be safe in a brand new piece of equipment, but because of our budget cuts causing us to buy the UK's scraps he was not safe and he paid the ultimate price for our issues.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Eh, my comment on the subs was in poor taste, apologies.

Standing by what I said about disarmament though, can't achieve peace at gunpoint. Call me a hopelessly delusional optimist.
          Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Eh, my comment on the subs was in poor taste, apologies.

Standing by what I said about disarmament though, can't achieve peace at gunpoint. Call me a hopelessly delusional optimist.
            It's all good, no harm done. I get your point with disarmament, all I can say is I disagree but I can also say I'm glad there are people like you to balance out people like me. Or we'd all have giant militaries, and that would cause problems.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I confess there's a message in my inbox asking about eclectic paganism and I just don't have the energy to respond yet. I'll get to it eventually, hopefully before they think I'm ignoring them (because I'm not)
              They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
              Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
              -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                [/FONT]

Yet you don't really live in Canada so what sounds good to somebody in the UK won't sound good to somebody here, different situations. Our military struggles to arm itself with anything properly functioning. We bought submarines from the UK and they literally had leaks in them, a UK MP recommended we get a refund. Especially after a 32 year old Canadian soldier died in one of the Submarines maiden voyages from a fire. So no honestly it's not a good thing, I'm not saying I want an offensive military, I wan't one thats capable and well equipped enough. We recently tried to replace our CF-18 hornet fighter jets (A jet from the god damned late 1970's) but had to stop because the costs were too high. This isn't even fair to our working class soldiers, they deserve to know that if they do get deployed they'll have reasonable equipment that will hopefully keep them safe and let them come home. Not a good thing, you don't live in Canada so you don't understand the local landscape.

Submarines article.
                http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...says-1.1166047
                In defense of your military, when it actually goes into a hot zone, your gov.'t has been known to splurge on equipment specifically relevant and useful to that area. Least, that's what I heard from a Canadian vet a while back. It's not something I've ever cared enough to independently verify. On the whole though, Canadian defense policy last I heard basically amounted to "uphold status quo". You don't worry about invasion because the only possible invader that won't net overwhelming and violent response from the US is the US and short of independently developing nukes there a very few military options for deterring us (a number of diplomatic ones exist and work well). You could use some arctic gear to defend some of your claims there and having an unf***ed procurement process is good for everyone but your gov.'t didn't randomly decide "lets screw with the military". It just doesn't see a need for much beyond the ability to step in on the occasional alliance effort and/or peacekeeping operation.
                Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  In defense of your military, when it actually goes into a hot zone, your gov.'t has been known to splurge on equipment specifically relevant and useful to that area. Least, that's what I heard from a Canadian vet a while back. It's not something I've ever cared enough to independently verify. On the whole though, Canadian defense policy last I heard basically amounted to "uphold status quo". You don't worry about invasion because the only possible invader that won't net overwhelming and violent response from the US is the US and short of independently developing nukes there a very few military options for deterring us (a number of diplomatic ones exist and work well). You could use some arctic gear to defend some of your claims there and having an unf***ed procurement process is good for everyone but your gov.'t didn't randomly decide "lets screw with the military". It just doesn't see a need for much beyond the ability to step in on the occasional alliance effort and/or peacekeeping operation.
                  You do make a good point with our soldiers usually picking up specialized equipment for a specific operation. But on topic of procurement, I don't even blame the UK or whoever brings our equipment to us. The problem is whenever Canada announces they are going to buy something (As they have to, to stay transparent.) A million and one anti-military liberal lobbyists get up and claim its not required. so what started with lets say, "Let's buy 10 high class submarines.) is negotiated down to "Okay will buy four of those used ones over there." then you get the problems previously mentioned. If people would just quiet down, let our military and the experts do their thing. We would have all that we need.
                  sigpic
                  In Days of yore,
                  From Britain's shore
                  On Canada's fair domain.
                  Here may it wave,
                  Our boast, our pride
                  The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Since we've moved to N.C. I constantly worry if I made the right career path. I love cooking and I love food but this place has made me doubt every decision I've made since we came out here. In the six months since I was able to transfer to pastry we have gone through two sous and are looking for a new one. I always heard about people becoming burnt out or hating their job and I swore I've never be that person. Well guess what I am that person. I'm bitter, I'm angry, and I hate how they do things, and yes you can say well why don't you find another job I've been with this hotel company for four years, and worked at two different properties. My position is the highest paid position in Charlotte.
                    On top of that I'm at a stage in my life that in the next few years I would like to have kids I can't work in a fine dinning restaurant and clime that ladder if I want kids. Cooking takes tones of dedication and I don't know where mine is any more. I'm changing, growing, settling into a life that I never thought I'd be in and I don't know how to handle it.
                    I've thought about going back to school to change careers but it all sounds boring and uninteresting. Nothing calls to me like food does, and maybe when we move out of N.C. because we will (we are both cooks and we both hate it here, work wise) I will find that love again and learn how to manage both but right now I just don't see it.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I confess that I hate how everyone is a fucking Christian in America. I just want to spew all over them some days.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I must confess that I have, once again, put my foot squarely in my mouth.

It needs more cheese.

And a bit of Chipotle sauce.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I confess that I'm starting to regret signing up for a crazy 6-day work week during our massive sale. But I just really wanted to get the tattoo I've been working on for the past year and couldn't afford it otherwise.

Comment

I confess, I spent waaaaay too much money today. And the next coupla months are going to be spent repenting and repaying.

But it was totally worth it
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I confess that I have been having baby fever the last week.
                              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I confess that I'm at a friends house, with my husband, and 4 of my closest friends, and I'd rather be on pf. And we're going camping for 2 days next weekend, and its dawning on my I won't be able to talk to anyone else for 2 days, and I'm not excited.
                                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                                Seen the desert and the birds
                                You cut your hair short
                                Like a shush to an insult
                                The world had been yelling
                                Since the day you were born
                                Revolting with anger
                                While it smiled like it was cute
                                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment