X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confessions

Originally posted by KahlanAmnell View Post
    I don't get how.
    Easy. It's called terrible acting, and not following the damn timeline of the books. Season 1 easily had content from Book 8 in it, and everything in the entire show was sexed up for TV. The Mord'Sith didn't show that much cleavage in the books, as an example. Also, I feel that the actor they chose to be Richard was a poor choice. AND they cut out scenes that I felt should have stayed (though I can't quote you on what, since I don't recall at the moment). Very rarely do I enjoy TV/film adaptations of books I've read in the past.

As an example, I just went and saw Ender's Game in theatres recently, and it was effing terrible. LotR and GoT are the only two exceptions I can think of where I don't mind watching as well as reading. And even so, I think the new Hobbit could have been done better. I'd rather read my fantasy than watch it.

But we are seriously derailing this thread, so let's talk about this elsewhere if you feel we need to.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
      I personally thought Legend of the Seeker was a terrible TV show. But the books are one of my favourite series.
      The show was god-awful. The books weren't great. But I read them all anyway - I pushed ahead long enough that I was kind of invested in what happened to the characters, and so I just kept going. I started out reading them because I wanted to be able to talk to Hubby about them.

Basically, I guess I'm saying I don't think they were well-written, but I managed to get emotionally attached to the characters anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        I personally thought Legend of the Seeker was a terrible TV show. But the books are one of my favourite series.
        Have to confess I have not read nor watched any of the Legend of the Seeker shows or books. Abut the closest thing I could come up with is the movie The Seeker: The Dark is Rising but don't know if it is part of that series or not.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          Have to confess I have not read nor watched any of the Legend of the Seeker shows or books. Abut the closest thing I could come up with is the movie The Seeker: The Dark is Rising but don't know if it is part of that series or not.
          Not the same thing.

I really liked the first few books, but lost interest. If I pretend that the show has nothing to do with the books, and take it in a Xena/Hercules mindset, they are perfectly entertaining. Certainly not high culture, but I do think Kahlen is a cool person, though moreso in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            If you're thinking this then yeah, very, very different from Legend of the Seeker.

That movie is also one of the best possible arguments against film adaptations of books. It neutered the Old Ones, completely altered the concept of the Signs (yes, they were items of power, no they were never meant to drive back the Rising on their own and no one mortal or immortal was ever a sign), threw out a scene that was integral to both Stanton and Merriman, negated the Lady,...

I should stop now. Suffice to say, I've read the book that film was theoretically based on. It's easier to say what they don't have in common than to say what is in common.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              If you're thinking this then yeah, very, very different from Legend of the Seeker.

That movie is also one of the best possible arguments against film adaptations of books. It neutered the Old Ones, completely altered the concept of the Signs (yes, they were items of power, no they were never meant to drive back the Rising on their own and no one mortal or immortal was ever a sign), threw out a scene that was integral to both Stanton and Merriman, negated the Lady,...

I should stop now. Suffice to say, I've read the book that film was theoretically based on. It's easier to say what they don't have in common than to say what is in common.
              That would be the one. I know as a movie it has not received a lot of praise and other than your critique I have no idea how close or far from the book it falls.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

As a movie, it's not horrific, just not particularly good. I wouldn't pay to see it in theater but I also wouldn't particularly regret the two hours or so lost watching it. As an adaptation of a very good book,

I don't feel like grabbing an Ordo Hereticus pic before crashing for the night and half or more of the other things I could post have no place in the public boards.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

My confession is that I think anyone who speaks ill of Legend Of The Seeker has extremely poor taste.
                  I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                    The show was god-awful. The books weren't great. But I read them all anyway - I pushed ahead long enough that I was kind of invested in what happened to the characters, and so I just kept going. I started out reading them because I wanted to be able to talk to Hubby about them.
                    I stopped reading at Phantom. At that point, I really didn't care about any of the characters anymore. They jumped the shark after Stone of Tears and reading them became a down-right chore after Faith of the Fallen (though I think I might have liked Pillars of Creation if the concept had been part of a stand-alone book). Personally, they entire story arc as a whole was overly long winded and drawn out. But the hubby loves them...

Never seen the TV show in its entirety...we tried to watch part of it, but yeah...bad acting.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I ignore people on FB and skype till I can be bothered replying then pretend I was afk if they ask where I was. Shhh.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I drink too much on Sunday nights and look up my ex's on facebook :|

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                        I ignore people on FB and skype till I can be bothered replying then pretend I was afk if they ask where I was. Shhh.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I drink too much on Sunday nights and look up my ex's on facebook :|
                        I confess that I don't really understand most of this. ^

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by KahlanAmnell View Post
                          My confession is that I think anyone who speaks ill of Legend Of The Seeker has extremely poor taste.
                          I confess adding a smiley face to the end of an insult doesn't make it any less of an insult.

Mostly art.

Comment

I don't even know what that is. Is it a video game?
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              I don't even know what that is. Is it a video game?
                              Presuming you're talking about Legend of the Seeker

Comment

Originally posted by Sondst View Post
                                I have a good friend who is living as a transgendered female and is a lesbian. Go for it. Do what makes you happy <3
                                How hard is it for a transgender girl like me to find a cisgender girlfriend? I'm thinking that I will change my sex before I try to find a girlfriend, so as not to put her through the transition.
                                I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Comment

Working...
                                X