Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unpopular Opinions.

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
    Just one question.. Have you ever had bacon?
    Yes. I have had lots of bacon in my life. I've never had much of a taste for it but it was something I ate when given to me. Not any more.

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    I can understand not liking bacon. I don't like sweets, which most people can't understand. But, PANTS??? LOL
    I wasn't actually serious about the pants thing. I wear pants every day. But there are times where pants are overrated.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Lots of politicians talk about "taking America back". I see that as part of the problem. Go listen to JFK's speeches, and others in that era & before. They talked about going FORWARD! Growth, success, achievement, etc. That's what I want.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I thought of one based on another thread....I think A/C is way overused in North America. Like, I get why Southern California, Florida, Texas, etc needs it, but everywhere else? Nope. Yes, I know it can be pretty hot in New York and Montreal, but it's not any hotter than here, and we live. Friends and family in Vancouver whine about their A/C being broken at 27 Celsius, and I'm like, it's 35 here and I don't have A/C, you wusses. It actually really bothers me, because A/C uses a lot of power and resources and we aren't living in a world where we can waste like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          I thought of one based on another thread....I think A/C is way overused in North America. Like, I get why Southern California, Florida, Texas, etc needs it, but everywhere else? Nope. Yes, I know it can be pretty hot in New York and Montreal, but it's not any hotter than here, and we live. Friends and family in Vancouver whine about their A/C being broken at 27 Celsius, and I'm like, it's 35 here and I don't have A/C, you wusses. It actually really bothers me, because A/C uses a lot of power and resources and we aren't living in a world where we can waste like that.
          Things I learn Canada thinks it gets hot at 95.

j/k. I just live in hell :='(:
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

Berlin is at 54 degrees latitude....Vancouver is at 49.

LA is at 34 degrees latitude. I'm not much better at 36.

So yes, you are the closest to hell.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

You know, a lot of the things used in newer housing, or renovations, require temps between 60-ish and 80-ish. I'm putting in new flooring so I've been seeing all these requirements. It's just standard to have a/c. Here in southern MO it can get pretty stifling, but I set mine at 76 for the most part. Heat's at 68 in winter. I know people whose homes feel like refrigerators in the summer and like hell in winter - I hate that.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

Things you learn: I think it's hot out at 77F.

#justnortherncanadathings

Mostly art.

Comment

I live in Chicago. -10 with -20 degree wind chills for out winters, and upwards of 105 for our summers. Yeah, no, you don't know Hel until you live on both sides of the spectrums.
                  "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                  And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                  They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                  The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                  - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I live in Chicago. -10 with -20 degree wind chills for out winters, and upwards of 105 for our summers. Yeah, no, you don't know Hel until you live on both sides of the spectrums.
                    I would have no idea what to do with myself in snow or freezing weather.
                    But I can tell you what to do when the earth cracks open on you and tries to swallow your shopping mall.

Seriously though. Chicago. Nope. My chanclas would freeze to my feet.

Comment

I'm not paricukarly fond of bacon either. Usually I only eat it in burrito form.

I live in Iowa. Pretty similar to Chicago. I have to agree that mother nature's mood swings are pretty hellish. We had a couple weeks this year of going between negatives to 40s and back in a matter of days, not counting your typical drops at night.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

We get that crazy below 0 to 110 above, too. And in spring, it's tornado season. So if one day you see me riding a bicycle in the air above your house with Buddy in the little front basket, don't be alarmed.

OK, change to what I guess is (surprisingly) an unpopular opinion about something else: I read today that Barry Manilow married his (male) manager. People in the comments are SURPRISED. I'm like, are you a dodo bird? He's Liberace Lite. I loooooove Barry and still have a bit of a red crepe streamer he threw into the crowd when I saw his show. I'm glad he's happy. But I never had a doubt he was gay.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                          We get that crazy below 0 to 110 above, too. And in spring, it's tornado season. So if one day you see me riding a bicycle in the air above your house with Buddy in the little front basket, don't be alarmed.

OK, change to what I guess is (surprisingly) an unpopular opinion about something else: I read today that Barry Manilow married his (male) manager. People in the comments are SURPRISED. I'm like, are you a dodo bird? He's Liberace Lite. I loooooove Barry and still have a bit of a red crepe streamer he threw into the crowd when I saw his show. I'm glad he's happy. But I never had a doubt he was gay.
                          Agreed. Though I must say this. When I was a pre teen I had zero idea George Michael was gay.

Every guy dressed like this back then

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Things you learn: I think it's hot out at 77F.

#justnortherncanadathings

LOL I'm still wearing a sweater then.

- - - Updated - - -

Not any different than here, Toronto, or Montreal. It can be just under that on a really, really hot day. Canada isn't as cold as you would think. It's also deathly humid in that part of the country. Berlin is DEFINITELY humid. When it's 38+ Celsius, it is NOT a dry heat. It is a swampy, horrible heat (Berlin used to be a swamp)

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                              Not any different than here, Toronto, or Montreal. It can be just under that on a really, really hot day. Canada isn't as cold as you would think. It's also deathly humid in that part of the country. Berlin is DEFINITELY humid. When it's 38+ Celsius, it is NOT a dry heat. It is a swampy, horrible heat (Berlin used to be a swamp)

Its not the occasional extreme temp that is the issue, its the average high that matters. 100+ sucks no matter where you are.

But if you want to talk about miserable? Spend a summer in a metal box in the shipyards doing heavy labor without ventilation, where its 120 degrees and 100% humidity and you have to wear long sleeves and pants and steeltoe boots and lug around equipment and actually work.

Even so, I'd rather do that than spend a winter visiting V!

(not that I wouldn't love to visit V, its more where I'd have to go to do so)
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Hey, I'm not saying that A/C doesn't have its place. It totally does. I just think that most people overuse it and use it when they don't need to. I have no issue with A/C in a stuffy shipyard at 120 degree humid weather! I have no issue with mild A/C usage in hot desert weather (or southern weather, or wherever). I do have issue with people using it at around 30 degrees or below (open a goddamn window, Vancouverites). And I have issues with the way I often saw it used in the US, which was almost painful. Like seriously, I know it's like 40+ degrees in Nevada in the summer (I was there) and I know that A/C can help make that bearable, but does it have to be freezing inside? I shouldn't have to be wearing sweaters in the middle of the day summer. I actually caught a cold when we were in Vegas because of the extremes from inside and outside. That wreaks havoc on your health.

PS, it's not really the "odd day" that it gets that hot here or in those parts of Canada I mentioned. It's a good chunk of the summer. I know it's further north, but it's a lot hotter than you'd think.

Comment

Working...
                                X