Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unpopular Opinions.

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I was 17 and watched it actually happen on TV. It was shocking at the time and I agree, it was a big moment in history. I just don't think it needs a memorial from people who were not even remotely involved in the event for decades to come.
    I totally agree with that ^^
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      You want the real reason? Because when terrorism happens to America, it's the most important thing in the world. I didn't make it up. It just is. Americans think we are the center of the world.

And we aren't that far off. Imagine the US completely crumbling. Imagine what chaos the rest of the world would get thrown into. Imagine all the exports that would no longer be paid for by the US. The guns funding other countries war. The drugs funding other countries.

We are important for a lot of horrible horrible reasons. Some of those reasons are horrible because of what they mean. Some are horrible because of what other countries need from us.
      Not disagreeing with you there. the US is really important to the global economy, and its collapse would result in chaos in every globalized country (so, most countries). Over here, our economy is pretty big, but as the US is one of our biggest trading partners, things would get pretty crazy without it.

What I meant is, it wasn't our tragedy. We ignore tragedies and violence across the world, and yet we pay yearly homage to the one in the US? People don't even pay that much attention to the date fall of the Berlin Wall (unless it's a big anniversary like 20 or 25 years) and that was HERE and had a MUCH bigger effect on Germany.

Comment

No, I agree with you. I was just putting something out there. An unpopular opinion by an American about her own country.

I mean none of us commemorate the big Bophal disaster in India. None of us commemorate the death of that little kid in your country because the courts fucked over the child safety order. His mother killed his father, took custody of her unborn kid and drowned him in the ocean. None of us know any of this except because of watching CBC news (which by the way I watch all the time! I love that marketplace show they do all the time!) Hell none of us even blinked an eye when Egyptians were getting killed by terrorists...on a still ongoing daily basis.

F The United States and we make sure everyone watches...and sometimes pays.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

No, I agree with you. I was just putting something out there. An unpopular opinion by an American about her own country.

I mean none of us commemorate the big Bophal disaster in India. None of us commemorate the death of that little kid in your country because the courts fucked over the child safety order. His mother killed his father, took custody of her unborn kid and drowned him in the ocean. None of us know any of this except because of watching CBC news (which by the way I watch all the time! I love that marketplace show they do all the time!) Hell none of us even blinked an eye when Egyptians were getting killed by terrorists...on a still ongoing daily basis.

F The United States and we make sure everyone watches...and sometimes pays.
          I love CBC! Unfortunately its future is on shaky ground....

Comment

Oh no. I watch all their stuff via youtube. They also do great in depth investigations. Great stuff.

Comment

Oh no. I watch all their stuff via youtube. They also do great in depth investigations. Great stuff.
              Yeah, they do. I think it won't go anywhere completely, but the Conservatives are constantly threatening them with funding cuts. As of now, a lot of its revenue comes from tax dollars, but the Conservatives believe in transforming it into a private broadcaster funded through advertising. That would totally change it, as a lot of what it does is only possible due to its status as a public broadcaster and the fact that it does not have to cater to advertisers. Its status as a public broadcaster is also what allows it to be more or less universally accessible throughout Canada, even in remote areas (meaning, huge chunks of Canada) where it would not be profitable to operate.

I guess it could go for the donation structure that PBS broadcasters use to supplement their funding, but I think Canada is probably too small for that to work. I think Canada would do better with the kind of licensing fee that is used to finance the BBC, as this could even allow it to expand its operations. However, this concept is NOT popular in Canada (which makes that one another unpopular opinion!) In general, Canadians love their public services and most want them to stay, but they are really adverse to taxation of any kind. They can't seem to grasp the connection between taxes and public funding.

PS, if you like CBC, you might want to check out their radio programming. A lot of it is available online, worldwide. I use the app, but you can listen through streaming on the web or downloadable podcasts as well
              Last edited by DanieMarie; 16 Sep 2015, 03:36.

Comment

Oh podcast? Thanks for the suggestion. I'm an avid podcast listener.

Comment

Oh podcast? Thanks for the suggestion. I'm an avid podcast listener.
                  I know you are...thought it would be up your alley

Just so you don't have to go digging for it, here is a link to all of their podcasts: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcasts/

Comment

I dislike this heavily materialistic culture. Not everyone falls into this category, but it's many (around here) and the entitlement that comes with it makes me sick to my stomach.

Comment

To lighten the mood...I'm totally ok with wearing socks more then a day before they go to the laundry.

Comment

To lighten the mood...I'm totally ok with wearing socks more then a day before they go to the laundry.
                        Haha I'm with you there!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          Haha I'm with you there!
                          It all depends. After spending 12 hours on my feet all day in a dusty, hot warehouse, my socks tend to end up more ripe than a browning banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                            It all depends. After spending 12 hours on my feet all day in a dusty, hot warehouse, my socks tend to end up more ripe than a browning banana.
                            Yeah, totally get that. When I go hiking, I love changing my socks (though often can't, because when you have to carry all your stuff on your back, clothes are one thing you pack less of). But I work at home, so most of the time I don't even wear shoes.

Comment

When "real" phones and pay phones went away, violence increased, because being able to slam that sucker down when you were mad at someone released a lot of anger.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

also "Real" phones were heavy and large.

This phone could knock someone out.
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X