X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
    Do. Not. Remind. Me. I've been grouching about this all week. All because stores wants us to buy more. I giving homemade gifts to everyone for Christmas this year out of pure contrariness.
    It's not that bad out there, really went to the mall. Lots of people in fona, but no more busy than usual other than that... I did hear someone say it was crazy in Copenhagen. I have a few home made gifts, but I'm afraid store-bought gifts are expected in parts of my family. I don't mind much, I like giving presents as long as they make people happy.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I once worked for a place that did all kind of shady things, like not letting us take a lunch break (we could bring in food, and eat in between customers, but not leave the premises or anything), and then dock us 1/2 hour per 8 hour day, because by law they had to provide a 15 min. break every 4 hours.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It amazes me what businesses can get away with. I couldn't wrap my head around it when someone told me that WalMart employees are not even allowed to mention unions there - they have to sign a contract promising not to unionize. That's villain territory.

Comment

This is why having a book of labor codes is so useful. Some company's would count on you not knowing your rights as a worker. Another way I was protected because they knew I had the book of codes,I had used it a few times to point out their "Mistake" concerning work rights. They seldom tried to get over on the workers because of that fact.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
            It amazes me what businesses can get away with. I couldn't wrap my head around it when someone told me that WalMart employees are not even allowed to mention unions there - they have to sign a contract promising not to unionize. That's villain territory.
            I work for WalMart. This is false. WalMart is a soul sucking international trillion dollar corporation, and they do frown on using the "U" word (and just might find some other reason to let you go; they're absolutely anal about absences), but they do not require employees to sign a contract saying you promise not to join a union. WalMart would, I believe, just pull out of states that aren't 'right to work' before they would have unionized workers. WalMart has a tall stack of applications for each job, filling an entire store with new employees would take about a day.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

California has a VERY strong labor code protecting workers. One thing also,if you were to file a complaint about something at work to the labor board,then they(Job) could not really mess with you because unless they had a MAJOR infraction it could be considered retaliation for your filing(covers you for about a year). and you could file simple issues periodically just to keep them(Your Bosses) from messing with you. They(My work) did once try this because of my labor code information,It stopped very quickly when I mentioned the retaliation clause.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

In smallish companies, if you complain, they'll find a reason to get rid of you. There are always people ready to take your job. I remember places telling us not to talk to union reps. One place, I was a salaried Branch Mgr., "exempt" from overtime, and we just marked an electronic time sheet saying we worked a full day, not the exact hours. I found out many years later that there are stipulations to that exemption, and my office didn't always fit the qualifications, so I got cheated out of quite a bit. Too much time had passed to do anything about it.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It's crazy, too, because they even get away with it in Canada. Most provinces have labour codes that make it pretty hard to fire someone if they want to unionize (though, I guess they can fire you and claim it was for another reason), but they can always just close the whole friggin' store if employees unionize: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...tory-1.2689646

The Supreme Court sided with the employees, but still. Plus, it took almost a decade to get through court.

I feel really blessed to be here in Germany. Unions are still super powerful here and even hold sway in non-unionized workplaces. Like, they lobby the government for higher minimum wages in their sector, designate representatives at various businesses (even if the other employees there are not union members), and make huge cases for workers all over the country. There are still problems here with labour rights (especially when it comes to sub-contracted immigrant workers and freelancers), but part-time and full-time employees can always be sure that their contracted hours will be honoured, they'll get their breaks, overtime pay, sick days, and vacation days, and all that jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    Shift 1: 6pm Thanksgiving to 3 AM Black Friday
                    Shift 2: 1PM Black Friday to 10PM Black Friday

My store opened at 6 yesterday runs straight till 10 tonight (not counting closing time) but we don't have the personnel to do that without doubleshifting people.
                    Thanks for the clarification .

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by iris View Post
                    It's not that bad out there, really went to the mall. Lots of people in fona, but no more busy than usual other than that... I did hear someone say it was crazy in Copenhagen. I have a few home made gifts, but I'm afraid store-bought gifts are expected in parts of my family. I don't mind much, I like giving presents as long as they make people happy.
                    I have some "friends" who wanted me to go to Copenhagen with them and shop!?! I mean, had they completely forgotten who they were talking to? Apparently so, because I'm about as likely to go shopping on this day as I am to vote Liberal Alliance.
                    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                      I'm still not entirely convinced that this is a legal scheduling practice for a non full-time employee...
                      Sadly it is. There has to be a minimum of 8 hours between shifts. One of our gals closed till 10pm and 6am was back.

Me? I just woke up. The phone is off for the day and I still have my jammies on
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        I work for WalMart. This is false. WalMart is a soul sucking international trillion dollar corporation, and they do frown on using the "U" word (and just might find some other reason to let you go; they're absolutely anal about absences), but they do not require employees to sign a contract saying you promise not to join a union. WalMart would, I believe, just pull out of states that aren't 'right to work' before they would have unionized workers. WalMart has a tall stack of applications for each job, filling an entire store with new employees would take about a day.
                        My husband worked there for a while about a decade ago and said he and a friend that worked there together had to sign one. I don't know if it makes a difference that Kentucky isn't a right-to-work state, and maybe they can make employees sign whatever they please. But I also read in Nickel and Dimed that she had to sign something like that, too.

Comment

my family finally has a blu-ray player. Its not so much I care about blu-ray as a format, but I do like that we can finally go buy blu-ray disks when they are on sale cheaper than DVDs :P.... And I can watch the handful of blu-rays I already own I got as gifts lol.
                          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

My husband worked there for a while about a decade ago and said he and a friend that worked there together had to sign one. I don't know if it makes a difference that Kentucky isn't a right-to-work state, and maybe they can make employees sign whatever they please. But I also read in Nickel and Dimed that she had to sign something like that, too.
                            Might be the difference in policies ten years ago, might be the difference in working in a right-to-work state (for any that may not know, simply means you cannot be forced to join a union, or forced to pay union dues if your company is union and you don't want to join) and a closed-shop state (to be employed by a union company, you have no choice but to pay union dues, whether you sign a union card or not). As in all things in life, there are pros and cons to both.
                            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
                            Clan of my Clan
                            Kin of my Kin
                            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

You just need to come live in Australia, MO. We don't have Black Friday. It doesn't even exist here. You'd never have to work a Black Friday again.
                              Don't say that prematurely..... I got so many emails about black friday sales from .au websites....
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'm making Black Bean, Hominy, and Sweet Potato Soup, courtesy of Parents Need to Eat Too by Debbie Koenig. It's probably one of my favorite recipes from the book. And I finally got a mortar and pestal so I can grind the coriander myself. Yum. Trying to clean for a Thanksgiving dinner with friends. Baby is now up from nap so we'll see how that goes. Woo!
                                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X