This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Got a new flea and tick treatment for my cats, only tried using it on one so far and it is a mess. It's a liquid the gets squirted on her back behind her neck, and it is an oily itchy mess. She is itching so badly she is attempting to use a leg she hasn't got to do it! Now I have to give her another bath to get the oily mess, which has spread around her neck and down her back, off of her, and she probably needs a new collar as well because this one is now a mess... My poor kitty does not deserve to have to go through this... My poor baby...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
      My poor kitty does not deserve to have to go through this... My poor baby...
      Aw the poor thing. Did you do some online research to see if anyone else has similar problems? If it's that bad they really shouldn't be selling it.
      Circe

Comment

I can't remember what it is called for the life of me, and I don't want to start a new thread just for one post to give me the answer... Haha. What is that story called where the Goddess goes to the Underworld, and 5 times is told to take something off of her? (Jewelry, clothing, etc...)

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
          I can't remember what it is called for the life of me, and I don't want to start a new thread just for one post to give me the answer... Haha. What is that story called where the Goddess goes to the Underworld, and 5 times is told to take something off of her? (Jewelry, clothing, etc...)
          Look up Ishtar or Innana. Either (they're very similar) pulls this.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Bah, I am so tired. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
              It's called 'The Descent of Innana', but the original mythology has been appropriated by neo-Wiccans and neo-pagans into a generic story they call 'The Descent of the Goddess'. But the actual story is often not what neo-pagans have been taught that it is.

Innana decides that she'd like to have dominion over Irkalla (the Underworld) as well as Heaven and Earth and so she heads on down to usurp her sister (or aunt, depending on the translation you read) Ereshkigal's throne. Now the rule is that no man or woman enters Irkalla unless they are dead, and no one leaves. Ever. Ereshkigal is pretty pissed by the gall of Innana, but decides to let her come. So the gatekeepers at the seven gates make Innana take off each of her items of status and power so that by the time she gets down there she stands naked and powerless, as does everyone who enters the Underworld. Then Ereshkigal kills Innana for her treachery and hangs her on a hook on the wall. Innana's handmaiden is distraught and goes up to the Heavens to ask the other gods to save her and bring Innana back (as she and Innana had planned before Innana left). Everyone refuses, because they say that it was Innana's own stupid fault for breaking the rules and that it is Ereshkigal's right to do with her as she sees fit. Eventually Enki decides to help, because he sees that the land of Earth is dying and no crops will grow without Innana's presence. He loves the people of Earth and so he concocts a plan to revive Innana and get her out of Irkalla. He sends two created beings, who are neither male nor female, into Irkalla. They show compassion to Ereshkigal and so she grants them one boon. They ask for Innana's corpse, which is given to them, and then they give it a special draught that Enki gave them which revived her corpse, bringing her back to life. Ereshkigal is pretty pissed off but agrees that if someone will take Innana's place, she will let Innana go free. So she sends a hoard of demons with Innana to ensure that someone returns to Irkalla to take her place. Innana finds that her husband wasn't mourning her death properly, throws a tantrum and decides that HE should be the one to take her place. Then Dumuzi's sister gets upset and cuts a deal to save her brother at least some of the sentence. So now Dumuzi spends half the year in Irkalla and his sister Geshtinnana spends the other half there. This then ties back into Innana's power over the fertility of the land because when Dumuzi is not with her, the land goes barren, thus we have the cycle of seasons on Earth.

The neo-pagan version tends to be a bit more in Innana's favour. As does the version that a lot of modern people who work with the Sumerian deities use (understandably, because they tend to be Innana devotees). But I have worked with Ereshkigal, and have read several translations of the original fragmented story; so this is the version that I have taken from that.

Comment

Neo-pagans aren't the only ones that whitewash that story, though they're some of the worst*. Until recently, I've normally seen Inanna cast in a generally sympathetic light.

Oddly enough, Inanna isn't the only divinity to pass through those gates. Nergal did and satisfied the requirements by leaving demons at each gate so that when he finally got in, he was down a guard of demons but still carried all the weapons and trappings of divinity with him. You just don't hear of him often.

* In every serious version of this that I've seen, someone needs to retrieve Inanna or send help to restore her. The version that my sister read in more religiously slanted texts, Inanna goes in, surrenders all the trappings of divinity along the way and then kicks Ereshkigal's a** in the nude to get her way.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  Oddly enough, Inanna isn't the only divinity to pass through those gates. Nergal did and satisfied the requirements by leaving demons at each gate so that when he finally got in, he was down a guard of demons but still carried all the weapons and trappings of divinity with him. You just don't hear of him often.
                  Nergal then marries Ereshkigal and becomes co-ruler of Irkalla, which may have something to do with it. There are two versions of the story... one where Nergal overpowers and rapes Ereshkigal and another where he submits to her seduction. In both stories they end up married, and seem happy enough now (Nergal was actually the first Demon who my husband Torey ever worked with). Ironically, the reason he went down there in the first place is because he insulted Ereshkigal by not kneeling to her messenger at a feast... so the gods made him go down there in person and apologise.

There are several figures in the myths who are released from Irkalla, but every time it by Ereshkigal's leave only. Even in the version of the Nergal story where he overcomes Ereshkigal, he doesn't leave Irkalla until after they are married... whereas in the other he actually goes down twice: the first time he sneaks away while she's in post-coital bliss and the second he agrees to marry her. We could theorise that it was the fact that he was then Ereshkigal's lover which allowed him to get out of Irkalla the first time. Or maybe he's just really sneaky. Either way she was pissed off, but got him down there a second time and hooked him properly lol

Interestingly, in the Nergal stories it is also Enki who gives advice about how to circumvent the rules. Enki is said to be Ereshkigal's twin brother, so he knows her better than anyone. When she was first taken to Irkalla by Kur, Enki went on a great quest to try to bring her back... you could say that he was the first who returned from Irkalla.

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  * In every serious version of this that I've seen, someone needs to retrieve Inanna or send help to restore her. The version that my sister read in more religiously slanted texts, Inanna goes in, surrenders all the trappings of divinity along the way and then kicks Ereshkigal's a** in the nude to get her way.
                  Hah! That's not what it says in the tablets lol.

Comment

I sort of miss my Geshtinnanna name. It's why Dumuzi is...Dumuzi. I still use the name on other places though. So there's that. I was thinking of something else. But now I'm thinking this. Bleh
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya

Hah! That's not what it says in the tablets lol.
                      Yeah, my general response to that one was, "Suuuuure, Enki had nothing at all to do with Inanna getting out alive...." The discussion didn't help my opinion of popular Neo-Pagan scholarship.

Comment

driver issues, blegh

Comment

I'm officially doing it! I have my tool boss looking over my resignation letter for my bowling alley job. I was going to just call her. But I am going to drop off the letter tonight at work. I want to at least be official etc. I can't believe I worked at that job for 5 years! I sorta want to feel bad. I sorta want to feel scared losing those for sure 5 hours a week. But...I'm not. I'm going to make due,like I always do.

Ok. I'm sorta giddy.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I don't think I'm gonna like Hawaiian summers. It's friggen hot up in here already!
                            Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                            -Erik Erikson

Comment

And as I remember them Clive,also humid as well.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                                And as I remember them Clive,also humid as well.
                                In the jungle, especially, yes. In town, less so, but this is a dry week. The windward side of the island gets crap tons of rain, so yeah, the humidity will surely be a killer. I'm so sweaty.
                                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                                -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                                X