This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

It's a wine day!!! Oh and Asian meatballs and all I have to do is show up and enjoy some amazing company.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I have some jalapeno slices in the fridge and since I'll be away for a few days I don't want to leave them rot but neither do I want to throw them away.

So... Perhaps it would be a not-so-good good idea to stuff my mouth full of those little imps and see what happens.
      baah.

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
        It's a wine day!!!
        Yay! I've been having a glass of wine every night before I turn in for the evening. Tonight is the last of a sweet white that I "emancipated" from my parents' wine rack.

I have some jalapeno slices in the fridge and since I'll be away for a few days I don't want to leave them rot but neither do I want to throw them away.

So... Perhaps it would be a not-so-good good idea to stuff my mouth full of those little imps and see what happens.
        Make a salad, dice them up, and throw them in there! I've got about two dozen scotch bonnets in my freezer that I've been saving for well, I have no idea, but I'll think of something one of these days.

Comment

The election is over in a few hours. Migh have a new prime minister, not that it makes much difference. But yay! I'm sick of political propaganda everywhere.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I think I own too much stuff. I wish I could get money for it, though. Nobody buys books on the internet in town. And all the ads I've put up for outdoor gear so far have gone unanswered.

Nobody wants my things. :/

Mostly art.

Comment

I casually mentioned to a colleage that I am thinking about becoming an NVQ assessor, but that I don't really want to learn to drive. She told me that she knows someone who used to work for our company and left to do that, and she doesn't drive. She apparently manages perfectly well to make it to appointments with clients on public transport. This changes everything.

I was worried that I wouldn't have time to study Japanese anymore, but I'll have plenty time to read on bus journeys between clients, and I'll be able to sneak in short skype/line conversations in the afternoon (evening in Japan). So it shouldn't mean an end to Japanese for me.

You know, I might just do this. It feels right somehow. I'm not sure if I can tear myself away from my current job, but let's wait until the offer is on the table before I worry about making that decision.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

They make Butterfingers peanut butter cups.

I'm going to roll around in that stuff.

Pronto.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I am thinking about what to buy my wife for her birthday.
                  A book? A dragon statuette? A broomstick skirt? A new Faerie shirt?
                  Of course this comes with a nice sushi dinner at the end.
                  Wish me luck!
                  There is beauty in darkness for those who dare enter the shadows to embrace it. - John Coughlin

Comment

When I was a kid, my momma made me read a book off the American Library Association's Banned Book List every week during summer vacation.

The minions will be starting their first Banned Book Summer Read...but I'm not going for 1 a week, since most banned books are a little bit older than they are ready to read.

Chickadee:

The Egypt Game (banned because kids create their own Egyptian ceremonies)
                    The Witches (banned because magic)
                    A Wrinkle in Time (banned because magic)
                    Harriet the Spy (banned because it endorses lying, sneaking around, and cursing)
                    Number the Stars (because inappropriate for age)
                    Julie of the Wolves (because inappropriate for age)
                    Island of the Blue Dolphins (because anti-family)
                    Alice in Wonderland (because drugs and talking animals)
                    Harry Potter (series) (because magic)

(Luckily I still own most of these from when I read them at her age...)

Sharkbait:
                    And Tango Makes Three (banned because two daddies)
                    The Giving Tree (Banned for being sexist--female overly compliant tree, selfish demanding boy)
                    The Lorax (Banned for being mean to loggers)
                    Strega Nona (Banned because magic is good)
                    Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Banned because the cops are pigs)
                    The Rabbits Wedding (banned because interracial marriage)
                    Junie B. Jones (series) (banned because bad attitude and kid grammar)--these we have to do as a read aloud, they are a bit long for independent reading
                    In the Night Kitchen (banned for nekkit)
                    Hirshima No Pika (challenged for not making war glorious)

(It was really hard to find banned books for a kindergardener...)
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

You know I had to do a search for banned books,cause you got me hooked. I am always just shocked when books are banned,most of them ones I have read and enjoyed very much...
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        When I was a kid, my momma made me read a book off the American Library Association's Banned Book List every week during summer vacation.

The minions will be starting their first Banned Book Summer Read...but I'm not going for 1 a week, since most banned books are a little bit older than they are ready to read.

Chickadee:

The Egypt Game (banned because kids create their own Egyptian ceremonies)
                        The Witches (banned because magic)
                        A Wrinkle in Time (banned because magic)
                        Harriet the Spy (banned because it endorses lying, sneaking around, and cursing)
                        Number the Stars (because inappropriate for age)
                        Julie of the Wolves (because inappropriate for age)
                        Island of the Blue Dolphins (because anti-family)
                        Alice in Wonderland (because drugs and talking animals)
                        Harry Potter (series) (because magic)

(Luckily I still own most of these from when I read them at her age...)

Sharkbait:
                        And Tango Makes Three (banned because two daddies)
                        The Giving Tree (Banned for being sexist--female overly compliant tree, selfish demanding boy)
                        The Lorax (Banned for being mean to loggers)
                        Strega Nona (Banned because magic is good)
                        Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Banned because the cops are pigs)
                        The Rabbits Wedding (banned because interracial marriage)
                        Junie B. Jones (series) (banned because bad attitude and kid grammar)--these we have to do as a read aloud, they are a bit long for independent reading
                        In the Night Kitchen (banned for nekkit)
                        Hirshima No Pika (challenged for not making war glorious)

(It was really hard to find banned books for a kindergardener...)
                        Wait a sec, Wrinkle in Time and Number the Stars are banned. Wrinkle in Time (or parts of it, it's been a while and I don't remember) were assigned reading in school and Number the Stars was part of 6th grade Language Arts.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Depends on the part of the country MO,some places ban a LOT of books
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I remember when I was a kid my parents used to bribe us to get us to read. We could earn an extra half hour of tv time or a dollar for every book read. Hated it in the beginning and then became a book addict; my sister was the same way. My little brother was too much of a jock to care that much about tv time and since he was the baby, he never needed the cash like my sister and I, so he's never caught the book bug.

Reading banned books is a neat idea

Comment

Man, as a kid and into my adult years it was library trip time every weekend. Once I learned the dewey decimal system the world was my oyster!
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                                You know I had to do a search for banned books,cause you got me hooked. I am always just shocked when books are banned,most of them ones I have read and enjoyed very much...
                                Isn't that the truth. Sadly at times it's also banning of multiple books simply because they have the same title and no one takes the time to separate them. I recall in high school I was reading a western titled THE OUTSIDERS and the school and my English teacher said ok then discovered it wasn't the teen drama book THE OUTSIDERS. So one book was ok but the other was not on their approved reading list. As they put it the one was ok for non academic reading and outside school but it wasn't fit for school usage or recommended reading list.

As much as I dislike banning books though I really dislike the rewriting of a book to make it politically correct to make it acceptable. Seen lots of folk tales and fairy tale books that are re-written to make them more correct. Tossed some of Edgar Rice Burroughs stuff that was re-written to change the period references to blacks in his Tarzan books.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X