X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    I like the way we refer to the governor general.

"His Excellency The Right Honourable David Johnston"

This is why I'm a monarchist, it shows Canadas heritage perfectly.

God save the Queen.
    Ours is 'His Excellency General The Honorable Sir whatsisface'. The last one was a woman, this one apparently is a man. Who's name is not 'whatsisface' but Sir Peter Cosgrove. I had to look it up...

Apparently his wife gets to be called 'Her Excellency Lady Cosgrove'.

Yeah... I don't really follow politics or the government. Torey knows more about the Australian government than I do... and he's been here four years vs me my entire life. We have a running joke that while he'll ace his citizenship test later in the year, I'd probably fail. I failed the practice one. Shame on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
      Ours is 'His Excellency General The Honorable Sir whatsisface'. The last one was a woman, this one apparently is a man. Who's name is not 'whatsisface' but Sir Peter Cosgrove. I had to look it up...

Yeah... I don't really follow politics or the government. Torey knows more about the Australian government than I do... and he's been here four years vs me my entire life. We have a running joke that while he'll ace his citizenship test later in the year, I'd probably fail. I failed the practice one. Shame on me.
      Lol its fine, a lot of people here a) Don't know the Gov. Generals name. b) Don't know we even have something called a Governor general.

I'm just interested in this stuff because I'm trying to get involved in a few 'Pro-Commonwealth'/'Pro-Monarchy' movements. One being to change Canadas flag to the red ensign again, (It's got a good backing.) and one to change the anthem to a modified version of 'the maple leaf forever', a part of it is in my signature. Both are more heritage focused, and in my opinion make more sense for Canada. Our current maple leaf features nothing solid to represent our history, the maple leaf on the flag is even an invasive species. So thats my positions.
      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
      And planted firm Britannia's flag
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      And joined in love together,
      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Lol. Your friend's request is DENIED because you are an idiot. Yeah you know who you are. Dumb ass.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Lol its fine, a lot of people here a) Don't know the Gov. Generals name. b) Don't know we even have something called a Governor general.

I'm just interested in this stuff because I'm trying to get involved in a few 'Pro-Commonwealth'/'Pro-Monarchy' movements. One being to change Canadas flag to the red ensign again, (It's got a good backing.) and one to change the anthem to a modified version of 'the maple leaf forever', a part of it is in my signature. Both are more heritage focused, and in my opinion make more sense for Canada. Our current maple leaf features nothing solid to represent our history, the maple leaf on the flag is even an invasive species. So thats my positions.
          When I was in highschool there was a vote for Australia to leave the monarchy and become a republic, which obviously didn't make it through. At the time we (as teenagers) all bemoaned the fact that we weren't old enough to vote because we thought that being a monarchy and ruled over by a Queen on the other side of the plant was outdated and ridiculous. If the same vote came around again I would probably vote to stay in the Commonwealth. I have a (slightly) better understanding of the government and the way it works. Although... I do often cheekily joke that Australia will never become a republic because then we wouldn't be able to compete in the Commonwealth Games. We do love our athletes...

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            Lol. Your friend's request is DENIED because you are an idiot. Yeah you know who you are. Dumb ass.
            Oh, I uh, I see how it is.

- - - Updated - - -

When I was in highschool there was a vote for Australia to leave the monarchy and become a republic, which obviously didn't make it through. At the time we (as teenagers) all bemoaned the fact that we weren't old enough to vote because we thought that being a monarchy and ruled over by a Queen on the other side of the plant was outdated and ridiculous. If the same vote came around again I would probably vote to stay in the Commonwealth. I have a (slightly) better understanding of the government and the way it works. Although... I do often cheekily joke that Australia will never become a republic because then we wouldn't be able to compete in the Commonwealth Games. We do love our athletes...
            I'm in the same boat, in my younger days I was all pro independence and no more Monarchy for the same reasons you stated. It took me a bit of research and thinking from new perspectives to realize the Monarchy is still valid and pertinent. I heard Australians are rather pro monarchy, I love hearing that about other Commonwealth nations. As quite a few have chosen to split off permanently.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I'm in the same boat, in my younger days I was all pro independence and no more Monarchy for the same reasons you stated. It took me a bit of research and thinking from new perspectives to realize the Monarchy is still valid and pertinent. I heard Australians are rather pro monarchy, I love hearing that about other Commonwealth nations. As quite a few have chosen to split off permanently.
              From my limited exposure (I don't tend to discuss politics with people) it seems that we are generally pro-monarchy. The older generations are obviously very loyal to Her Majesty. I think that the new generation royals have made a big impact on the younger generations, as well as the fact that one of our own is now the beloved Crown Princess of Denmark. The whole concept of royals and the monarchy has received a shiny makeover in the last ten years or so. There is a lot more positive press now than when I was a teenager, and even though who sits on the throne has very little bearing on the way that Australia is run, I think that many people feel a lot more comfortable about Wills and Kate than they do about Prince Charles.

Our Prime Minister, on the other hand... no one's comfortable with him.

And off on a tangent... you know what form of address I like the sound of? Your Eminence. lol. Even though it's an ecclesiastical one, it just has a damn nice ring to it.

Comment

From my limited exposure (I don't tend to discuss politics with people) it seems that we are generally pro-monarchy. The older generations are obviously very loyal to Her Majesty. I think that the new generation royals have made a big impact on the younger generations, as well as the fact that one of our own is now the beloved Crown Princess of Denmark. The whole concept of royals and the monarchy has received a shiny makeover in the last ten years or so. There is a lot more positive press now than when I was a teenager, and even though who sits on the throne has very little bearing on the way that Australia is run, I think that many people feel a lot more comfortable about Wills and Kate than they do about Prince Charles.

Our Prime Minister, on the other hand... no one's comfortable with him.

And off on a tangent... you know what form of address I like the sound of? Your Eminence. lol. Even though it's an ecclesiastical one, it just has a damn nice ring to it.

I agree completely I think the monarchy has reformed quite a bit recently and put on a more appealing face. I know the Canadian League Of Monarchists has a lot of youth members. I personally favor no royal over another decisively but the Queen wins a lot of my respect. She talks highly of Canada internationally and represents us diplomatically. She also still has a good bit of control here. Also if she called a war I guarantee more Canadians would go fight for the cause then if our PM Stephen Harper did. Its also worth noting that the Queen is a badass, the amount of wars shes lead the commonwealth through since she was inaugurated is insane.

My favorite form of address is by far his/her excellency. To me it just shows, well how excellent a person is.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post

Oh, I don't know. Cycling enthusiasts, to the core, I could pretty easily imagine the two of them taking part in a 500 mile run. In fact, my thoughts at the time of that previous post were like 3 times that, at the bare minimum. I just think it's an awful shame that our two biggest fans, both having participated in lengthy distance events, can't ever bike in the same event.

There was a time when I was depending on bicycles for all travel, 2 miles or 20 didn't matter. I loved cycling.
                  Yeah see I thought they'd get distracted......

I've never been a cyclist. I dont have a bike. I mean I had one as a kid, used to ride to school in Primary school, but never in high school, and never as an adult. Whenever I get on a bike now I feel so unco.

The fact is I live 2 min from work, so I walk those 2 min, or if I have a lot of stuff, I drive, which I couldn't carry on a bike anyway. And the other major travel event is the 150km I do every weekend to go back home, which I wouldn't use a bike for either. Ive thought of getting one, but it just isn't really relevant atm.

I could use it for exercise, but the only road to ride on here is the highway, with the ginormous trucks, which isn't too safe
                  I'll stick to other types of cardio instead....
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

We have a man now? Years ago I went on a school camp to Canberra, and we got to see his car. We weren't allowed to touch. But I did. /rebel

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'm really amused that you guys are talking about me while I was away.

It was fun! I ended up cycling 340km, which isn't bad considering I didn't train, and on the first day I broke three records (exceeding my longest ride of 80km, a metric century, and an american century (80km, 100km, and then 160km). The second day I cycled 130km, but I was starting to experience bad back pain, and yesterday I only cycled a mere 65km, but that's because of my back. Every time I got on my bike, my back started to spasm uncontrollably. Once we had a headwind too, I couldn't deal with it anymore. We camped all in between, and then last night drove the 5 hours home (though my friend is a slow driver and it took him seven, so I didn't get in until 2am).

And now I have to go to work. fml.

Also, I learned that saddle sores are a thing. I've never gotten them in my life, not touring, not racing, never. This weekend, I got saddle sores. So....underwear. Yeah. Might not be a thing today.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        So....underwear. Yeah. Might not be a thing today.
                        See! Cyclists don't even wear underwear! Honestly, I dont think they will do any riding!

Well, bike riding that is... haha

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                          See! Cyclists don't even wear underwear! Honestly, I dont think they will do any riding!

Well, bike riding that is... haha
                          Good god, have you ever been in cycling shorts? Of course we don't wear underwear. The point I was more making is that it hurts too much to wear underwear today (the dreaded...chafing) :P

Mostly art.

Comment

I was trying to think if there was anything rant worthy in my life right now, but I'm just too damn happy with how things are going to rant about anything (even my insane mother). Even with the pay cut I took with this job (which is all but nullified with the money I'm saving in gas, and not spending 10 hours a week in my car) it doesn't make a damn difference because I'm working for a place that actually seems to respect it's employees. I've been there three weeks and already built up over a day in PTO, they have educational programs available, they make a damn good retirement contribution (it's not a 401k because it's a hospital but I can't remember the designation.) My team is great. It's just a wonderful place so far.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I should probably get rid of all my cycling shorts. Nothing worse than seein' a fat man in spandex.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

In order:

1) Welcome back, V!

2) Something inappropriate and poorly timed

3) Fire and Sword
                                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X