This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

Sigh. ANOTHER mouse. The cats are currently trying to chase this one down as it attempts to hide from them in the living room. I'm going to take a shower as they hunt, and hope they've caught it by the time I'm done. This will be the fourth one this week.

Comment

Happy Birthday V! Hope you spent it doing something nice!
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Re: What are you thinking about?

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
        Why'd I get an Iphone? I hate Iphones and I'm starting to remember why. On the bright side, it's a phone and siri is entertaining.
        In my more Luddite moments I think that humanity would be greatly liberated if all mobile devices were put in a bucket of water and left there.
        Once a man, like the sea I raged;
        Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
        And there is in fact more earth than sea.
        Genesis lyric

Comment

So I'm watching this scrapbooking show on Create Tv. And the lady is like on serious meth or something. I feel she's about to spiral out of her manic episode any moment. I mean. It's paper. And taking over an hour to design on page for a small pic no one other than you will ever look at more than 'oh, that's pretty' *closes the book never to open again. She's crazy.

Comment

The storm turned into a hurricane. It's very loud outside right now. Earplugs and loud tv almost down it out
            You remind me of the babe
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

The whole thing of cultural appropriation, and how I want to make a dream catcher. I don't think I have any Native American blood in me (thought it's hard to tell, because I'm very mutt), but I do believe it will tangle up the bad dreams.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                The whole thing of cultural appropriation, and how I want to make a dream catcher. I don't think I have any Native American blood in me (thought it's hard to tell, because I'm very mutt), but I do believe it will tangle up the bad dreams.
                eff it.

I saw a video about Native Americans and their thoughts on Columbus Day.

And one chic has dyed blond hair.

Uhuh. Tell me again about how I can't wear a feather in my hair oh great appropriation expert.
                No one owns anything. Eff them

Comment

My understanding is that dream catchers are actually not authentic anymore anyway. And aren't there Native Amercian peoples who actually make them for tourists?

I think dream catchers are a bit like those souvenir boomerangs you can get in Australia... the Aborigines make them and paint them for the souvenir shops as a source of income. I think once the original culture is producing it specifically for other people, it's okay to appropriate it for personal use (I don't think it's okay to go into business for yourself making them, because that then removes income potential for the original culture... but personal use is fine).

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    eff it.

I saw a video about Native Americans and their thoughts on Columbus Day.

And one chic has dyed blond hair.

Uhuh. Tell me again about how I can't wear a feather in my hair oh great appropriation expert.
                    No one owns anything. Eff them
                    I've resisted posting about this in the past because of the potential reactions, but the (mis)appropriation thing generally gets on my nerves. It seems like something rich American kids like to get annoyed about, while knowing neither the language or much about the culture, of whichever great grandparent's race they're claiming is being offended.

A few months ago I had an interesting conversation with a Scottish friend, who is staying in Newcastle to study Japanese (she's doing her 2 semesters in Japan right now though). She told us about a video she'd seen.. this video.. (I think you said somewhere that you watch this channel Medusa, so you've probably seen it). Our Japanese friends were pretty dumbfounded at the idea of people being offended by what is essentially people showing an interest in Japanese culture. If you're genuinely proud of your heritage, wouldn't you want to show others why it is so great? Isn't cultural exchange a beautiful thing, and a positive way of ensuring cultures are preserved? As my friend was Scottish, we of course got onto how she feels about non Scottish people wearing kilts. Again, she personally wasn't bothered so long as it isn't done mockingly.

I wish I was spoilt and rich enough to get annoyed by things that just don't matter.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                      I've resisted posting about this in the past because of the potential reactions, but the (mis)appropriation thing generally gets on my nerves. It seems like something rich American kids like to get annoyed about, while knowing neither the language or much about the culture, of whichever great grandparent's race they're claiming is being offended.

A few months ago I had an interesting conversation with a Scottish friend, who is staying in Newcastle to study Japanese (she's doing her 2 semesters in Japan right now though). She told us about a video she'd seen.. this video.. (I think you said somewhere that you watch this channel Medusa, so you've probably seen it). Our Japanese friends were pretty dumbfounded at the idea of people being offended by what is essentially people showing an interest in Japanese culture. If you're genuinely proud of your heritage, wouldn't you want to show others why it is so great? Isn't cultural exchange a beautiful thing, and a positive way of ensuring cultures are preserved? As my friend was Scottish, we of course got onto how she feels about non Scottish people wearing kilts. Again, she personally wasn't bothered so long as it isn't done mockingly.

I wish I was spoilt and rich enough to get annoyed by things that just don't matter.
                      This is generally my thoughts on misappropriate too. Granted, I never cared enough to look into it too deeply though and I have no Native American or Japanese ancestry. So my "whole picture" is lacking (also why I don't comment on those kinds of threads).

I do understand that for someone who is raised in a strong traditional family that it can be quite annoying to see some fluffy person running down the street claiming to follow your tradition and utterly failing at the concept. But I would think that the only way to stop that from happening is to better educate those who are really interested and shrug off the people (because humans will always be humans) who just want to claim something without committing.

I don't really want to derail this thread though, so on that note:

I keep having nightmares and they're beginning to get on my nerves.

Comment

3 hours of sleep. I hope I can function today.
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I bought a biiig teddy bear. Because I wanted a big teddy and it was cheap.
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I should write an essay, something nature related but right now I have no clue what could it be about.
                            Only one page and still I'm completely clueless.
                            baah.

Comment

I need to buy smaller dark chocolate bars when I do offerings to Bast. I feel nauseated for eating the whole thing.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I need to buy smaller dark chocolate bars when I do offerings to Bast. I feel nauseated for eating the whole thing.
                                You consume your offerings? I usually give it to the animals. But of course I use bread and fruit, I guess something like chocolate would be bad for them.
                                What babe?
                                The babe with the power
                                What power?
                                The Power of voodoo
                                Who do?
                                You do!
                                Do what?
                                Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Working...