X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
    You can definitely do it, Jembru. Believe in your own power to do it! Prove everyone wrong and that you can achieve your dream. I believe in you. It's not going to be easy, definitely not. But you have the power to pursue your dream.
    Thanks Gleb. The next morning after I posted this, I was talking to JP about the potential benefits if I changed career and he actually said, 'don't get your hopes up too much'. JP said that!! He's the first person to say it, but now I'm sure it's not in my head that some people are doubting the possibility. Now I'm wondering.. is my Japanese worse than I think? Like, when I'm there chatting away, am I the only one who knows what I'm saying? ^^

I'm meeting with the girl who got the job in a few weeks, so I ca ask her for more information then. Depending on what she says, I might try to pick up some work sooner. I've been talking to a friend and she pointed out that using the fact I have to look up words, as an excuse not to do it yet is a bit dumb. After all, I'm already studying every single day before work. I'm studying words and grammar in case they come up when I'm translating. If I was already translating, I could be learning the words and grammar that do come up when translating.

She has a bloody good point.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Jembru, why don't you start with some volunteer work? It could be very useful for you. And I'm sure you can do it! Don't give up.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
        It's snowing now and they are predicting 8-12" here in Morgantown, WV. I'm hoping that we pull through this with our electricity still on.

We're not expected to get a of that in Michigan, dang nabbit! I will be working on Monday, dang nabbit!

Dang nabbit!
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Eofor View Post
          Jembru, why don't you start with some volunteer work? It could be very useful for you. And I'm sure you can do it! Don't give up.
          That's possibly not a bad idea. It would get me some experience, and past work to show a potential employer, but if it turns out I've bitten off more than I can chew, no one had to lose any money.

I thought about asking my friend to share a copy of some of the things she's translated so I can have a go myself to see how I manage. Also LearningMan's idea of trying to translate Wikipedia articles might be useful. Although obviously I'd do Jap>Eng.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            Although obviously I'd do Jap>Eng.
            Doing Eng>Jap must be really painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Eofor View Post
              Doing Eng>Jap must be really painful.
              Actually it's easier! Well, easier, but also likely to be full of errors. Although if you want to know why, we should take this to the language thread. Translations are typically done from your second language and into your mother tongue to ensure a natural translation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Thanks Gleb. The next morning after I posted this, I was talking to JP about the potential benefits if I changed career and he actually said, 'don't get your hopes up too much'. JP said that!! He's the first person to say it, but now I'm sure it's not in my head that some people are doubting the possibility. Now I'm wondering.. is my Japanese worse than I think? Like, when I'm there chatting away, am I the only one who knows what I'm saying? ^^

I'm meeting with the girl who got the job in a few weeks, so I ca ask her for more information then. Depending on what she says, I might try to pick up some work sooner. I've been talking to a friend and she pointed out that using the fact I have to look up words, as an excuse not to do it yet is a bit dumb. After all, I'm already studying every single day before work. I'm studying words and grammar in case they come up when I'm translating. If I was already translating, I could be learning the words and grammar that do come up when translating.

She has a bloody good point.
                You can't know every single word in any language, Jem. If you talk freely, next time you talk to someone, translate the conversation to the other languag. Aka from English to Japanese and from Japanese to English. Then see how it goes.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I'm thinking about my ankle hurting like hell. Took a wrong step leaving my mom's house and rolled it. I'm not sure how I managed to land softly (meaning not injuring anything but my ankle when I rolled it) but I'm taking it as a blessing. I'm freaking out about possibly not being able to do my clinic shift tomorrow. I want to so bad! Gonna treat it nicely and pray I can walk on it on tomorrow. I've got some stuff that should help.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I did that to an ankle once,that hurts bad..took about 2 weeks to heal right. Twisted it stepping into a gopher hole.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm pretty sure clinic is out. Woke up an hour ago with horrible pain and could barely walk. Gonna go to urgent care as soon as the earliest one opens.
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      Sneak Attack

Comment

Dx: Moderate ankle sprain. Fun times ahead.
                        Sneak Attack

Comment

A brace is a good thing for that,to keep the ankle from moving even a little,also ice or heating depending on how it responds..also not walking much if you can help it. I remember that two weeks...good times

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

1st day off of full weekend off.
                            Haven't done a dang thing.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Good for you,not many people understand the pure Zen of just goofing off.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I'm Finally Going To Start Drawing The Drow Tarot

Today I'm finally going to start drawing my artwork of the Drow Tarot. I'm going to start drawing the Major Arcana starting with the Fool. I'm so excited.

Comment

Working...
                                X