X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    I had heard of this author,but had never read anything by him. I did download a PDF of this book,and I "Think" he is trying to explain myth and belief in gods and goddess' by the idea "Man" created the gods and goddess' from sexual imagery(I guess) Kind of like why we needed to create mythical creatures based on our "secret" thoughts about human reproduction in the sense we did with crop failure,where the failure was because we did not honor the gods properly. I kind of understand how he derived his beliefs,but am clueless about the need to couch these things in a Freudian construct.

I can not remember the term to describe the failed crop that is connected to the fact we pissed on a tree and angered the god(goddess) so our crop failed.

Cause and effect with only simple understanding. Like keeping a "Saints" preserved toe as a holy relic.

You might like Bulfinch's Mythology and The golden bough concerning mythology

You can I think download both from Gutenberg online.

here.

Gutenberg does out of copyright books,I think they may also do audio ones spoken by volunteers
    Thanks for the recommendation. And yeah, that seems to be the idea, but I'd much rather have a literary point of view, or if it has to be psychological, preferably a cognitive behavioral point of view, but using Freudian concepts just makes this whole thing seem like a bad joke to me.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Yeah, you have to read him with historical context in mind. Also, knowing that he's not writing about actual myths, per se, but rather the ideas of mythology, specifically, the common origin of myth.
    That's a good point. I imagine Freudian psychology, as well as the casual racism and sexism mentioned, was more common back then, but nonetheless I have a hard time taking it seriously when he does that. Though I also admit I was expecting something different than the idea of mythology, especially considering I've never seen any other books speaking about primitive or prehistoric mythology like that, unless you count books leaning towards goddess centric revisionist ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
      I imagine Freudian psychology, as well as the casual racism and sexism mentioned, was more common back then, but nonetheless I have a hard time taking it seriously when he does that.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

That's a good point. I imagine Freudian psychology...
        Jungian, actually...

And, as Thalassa says, read, making allowance for changing "styles" - he was (and still should be) extremely influential. To dismiss his ideas because they are not expressed in the manner you would prefer would be a great loss.
        Last edited by B. de Corbin; 13 Oct 2016, 04:01.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I got to use my fireplace yesterday, and it is AHmazing!!! We have another beautiful fall day and I get to get my birthday massage and facial at 2. Also the couple that I was a personal chef for when I got up here contacted me about working for them again but in a much more convenient atmosphere, I cook everything here package and drop off, they also offered to put up flyers and recommend me to other doctors at their hospital. Which with 3 or 4 clients would be more money then I bring home now, and I could stay at home with Monster after he's born. Something that KP is pushing for.

Decisions decisions. I've worked for 14 years and love my job and what I do but it seems there isn't going to be any chances of advancement because they don't think the bakery/pastry needs it. We are perfectly efficient and work so well together why do we need a lead? So to decide if I would go absolutely stir crazy staying home or if the personal chef would be enough to keep me busy. That is of course if I can get 3 or 4 clients.
          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

That sounds like a terrific possibility for you Kalynraye. I bet it will work out if you want it to. Stir crazy is a thing though. Sometimes it is nice to get away from the new mom thing and have a space for your other self.

Comment

My back, shoulders, and neck are hurting from labor. My parents new furniture comes in tomorrow and I know I am going to be sore. Can't wait to fall asleep tonight.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

It was warm today, close to 80. Leaves are turning color, and falling, and I was out on the deck reading and thinking despite today's warmth, November is creeping up. And then I thought, "it's lurking behind me like Donald behind Hillary". And I think that expression will remain with me.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Creepy is as creepy does....
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Either I've gotten better at chess recently or a normal opponent of mine is distracted. I've won too many games recently.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Last night I went to see a play called 'Wytch' at Newcastle Castle (yeah it's the old castle in Newcastle. hehe). I didn't know what to expect but thought a play in an old castle would be an interesting experience so grabbed myself some tickets a few weeks ago.

It was really good! I actually cried (not that it's hard to make me cry). The play followed the story of 14 women and one 'man' that were tried for witchcraft in the castle itself and hanged on the Town Moor in the mid 1600's. They were amongst the last people to be put to death for witchcraft in England and were killed in front of thousands of spectators.

Thinking about all those poor innocent people falsely accused of witchcraft in those days always makes me sad, but watching the actors bringing their story to life in the very place they were tried brought the horror of it home so much more powerfully.

The 'man' by the way.. was a 10 year old boy accused of shape shifting into a cat. He hanged along with his mum, cousin, aunt and grandmother. It is the story of this family that the play focused on.

It has really stuck with me.

hmm.. that's a story for fb if ever I had one.

The castle;

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I think I am going to have to go see the doctor today. I think my eye is infected. It's been red for a few days now and leaking pus. Ugh.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                          I think I am going to have to go see the doctor today. I think my eye is infected. It's been red for a few days now and leaking pus. Ugh.
                          That doesn't sound too good, hope you get better soon!

Comment

That doesn't sound too good, hope you get better soon!
                            Thanks. I saw a doctor and got some eye drops from the pharmacy. Hope that they work for me.
                            Anubisa

Comment

I feel I need some serious soul searching right now. I'm likely to get in trouble with my job for calling in too much, my anxiety is getting more and more under my control, but there's when I do have it, it tears me apart. I haven't been setting aside time to commune with my Goddess, even as she nudges me along to do so, and I have no real reason to not set time aside for her, because I know she has every intention of helping me. Sometimes I just feel like just going forward isn't enough, maybe I have to redefine what forward for me is.

Comment

I feel I need some serious soul searching right now. I'm likely to get in trouble with my job for calling in too much, my anxiety is getting more and more under my control, but there's when I do have it, it tears me apart. I haven't been setting aside time to commune with my Goddess, even as she nudges me along to do so, and I have no real reason to not set time aside for her, because I know she has every intention of helping me. Sometimes I just feel like just going forward isn't enough, maybe I have to redefine what forward for me is.
                                This sounds familiar. Well the self-sabotage part at least. It's something I'm also working on at the moment. In my case I have a tendency to go to work even when I really should stay off, although I recognised this pattern and allowed myself to call in sick last Wednesday. It did me so much good and the world didn't end and no one died through the night without me here.

I'm working on a blog post currently called 'the subconscious mind is an asshole' (might change that if I get around to posting it), because I had always thought of the subconscious as being this special part of me that is wise and knows what I really need and has all the answers if only the noisy chattering conscious mind would shut up and let me hear (probably confusing it with the 'higher self'). The truth I've discovered is that the subconscious mind is not so smart. It is programmed from childhood to make us repeat patterns of behaviour regardless of whether they're good or bad. It's Keith Stanovitch's 'type 1 thinking' which has its uses, but can go very wrong if the automatic reactions it drives aren't helpful to us. It can keep us in a poverty mindset fir example, or it can perpetuate negative self-talk, or make someone grow up thinking she was dumb because she was a year younger than many of her classmates so constantly made to feel stupid when all she wanted was to be praised like the other kids... yeah, it's a work in progress and still a bit raw! ^^

Aanyway. I don't have anything to say that can help, but I just wanted to let you know I can relate to your situation, and that others have to battle with similar vicious cycles of behaviour/thinking. Sometimes it just helps to know that we're not all living in the glossy shiny world that's portrayed on social media!
                                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                                X