X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Gerrymandering on a national scale...
    And it still works that way...I mean, when is the last time we reapportioned house seats between states to adjust for population size changes? Or...added seats? Electoral change means having one standard size for citizens to elected representatives
    Last edited by thalassa; 10 Nov 2016, 07:08.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      And it still works that way...I mean, when is the last time we reapportioned house seats between states to adjust for population size changes? Or...added seats? Electoral change means having one standard size for citizens to elected representatives
      We re-apportion congressional districts following each U.S. census. Following the (I think) '90 census, Oklahoma lost an elector and a congressional seat due to population loss.
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
      Tribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

It's gonna be 39C here today. Hasn't been that hot yet. Interesting to see how i cope. I love it hot. Been a late start to summer.
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

46% of people DIDN'T VOTE?!?!?!?!?

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            46% of people DIDN'T VOTE?!?!?!?!?
            A significant part of the population is rather apathetic about voting on any given year, especially if the candidates aren't extremely popular. It's why a decent amount of effort is put into get out to vote operations.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
              Most of the new people I meet these days are international, but I'm on the lookout. Still kid-free?
              Can't physically have one, don't particularly want one, and no kid deserves to have me as a parent.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

A significant part of the population is rather apathetic about voting on any given year, especially if the candidates aren't extremely popular. It's why a decent amount of effort is put into get out to vote operations.
                Thats still an absurd percentage. How do Americans feel about compulsory voting? Australia does it.

Just finished our Remembrance Day memorial. LEST WE FORGET.

images-1.jpg

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Thats still an absurd percentage. How do Americans feel about compulsory voting? Australia does it.
                  ATM, I'm increasingly in favor of it but this election year has me in a foul mood.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

ATM, I'm increasingly in favor of it but this election year has me in a foul mood.
                    What would it take? Like how hard would it be to do? I don't know the history of it here. But have the population giving zero fucks isn't good enough.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

What would it take? Like how hard would it be to do? I don't know the history of it here. But have the population giving zero fucks isn't good enough.
                      I don't know if it's ever been tried but at a guess

1) Bypartisan support or a federal supermajority in favor (good luck, both parties benefit when the other side can't motivate its people)
                      2) A clear and valid "I abstain" option at the polls. Compelling people to show up and/or mail in absentee ballots may pass muster but there's liable to a very loud argument in court that First Amendment freedom to speak includes freedom not to speak if you don't include a "no opinion" option of some kind
                      3) A receptive federal court system. If someone gets a compelling case in front of a judge then the whole premise may die.

The other option of course is a Constitutional Amendment. The good part of that is that issues 2 and 3 above can take a hike. The bad news is that the whole issue of mustering adequate support....
                      It just went from supremely difficult to requiring active and blatant intervention from heaven for the idea to have a chance.

Comment

This is where good ol' apathy and my nihilism kicks in. I'm not outraged. Not outraged at all. Why? Because this 'new' view of Hell America...has been the same view I've always seen. So it's absolutely no biggy. Your eyes are open now? What, have they been closed all this time?

I have zero effs. That's the same amount I had before the election.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Oh dear. People are protesting his election, and the twit twits that its unfair.

LOL - he's in for a very unfair 4 years.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Truthfully all this popular vote and getting rid of the electoral college simply reminds me of the text book debate. A couple of places that hold the majority of the population and drive what goes into the text books that are published and sold across the US in the school systems. Usually driven by California and Texas if I recall correctly. Now we have the same argument regarding population super cells again and how having a majority of electoral votes is not enough they should also have majority vote over the rest of the country. When it goes against them screaming about how its wrong, when it goes for them screaming about how it has to stay the way it is. Right now it went against them so its screaming again about how it's all wrong and the popular vote has to be the deciding vote.

Wonder if they truly have any idea what the outcome come be if the results were shifted to align with the concentration around the cities? There is a significant difference between riots in the cities and riots in the country side where all the produce and such is grown, transportation hubs and routes, and other functions. Civil unrest in cities is one thing, civil unrest out in the country side is something completely different. Would it come to that? Perhaps, perhaps not but i'm willing to bet a lot of the citizenship of the US would feel betrayed. One reason the electoral college was set up the way it was.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I think the Man does not understand just what "Fanning the flames" means,even Nixon was smarter than that,all he did was say,"I am not a crook"

Yeh,gonna be a long 4 years.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm not sure I can accept him as a legitimate president until he show his tax returns to proves he's not in Putin's employ.

I'm gonna start the Patsy-er movement.

Oh, hey, and ya know what?

The Electoral College Was Designed to Prevent Trump. You Can Make This Happen.

This would not be an abuse of the Constitution. Quite the opposite, as I say: it would be the proper use of the Constitution to prevent the abuse of a general election. The Founding Fathers would have approved. More: they would have been distressed to see this not happen, given the circumstances. They chose to found a republic that was not a direct democracy, and this is why: a simple binding majority vote provides no check upon the election of a tyrant. (This election was an exception, ironically: Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, and direct democracy would have spared the world the terrifying promise of a Trump presidency.)

If you honor the Founding Fathers — and the Constitution — then you will insist upon employing the emergency measures coded into the very definition of the republic.
                                Last edited by B. de Corbin; 11 Nov 2016, 02:46.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X