This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

We've had some pretty serious storms lately and it's led to some flooding. The ER of the hospital I work at was flooded last night and I work in the basement. And on my way in I was literally dogging tree branches and a transformer blew, taking out the street lights/signals. I'm hoping we're not heading into 08 all over again...
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I am thinking about how much I just don't care anymore, I'm also mad that I have gotten to that point.... I want to care, but I just don't feel like crying anymore, it's easier to let it be not my problem.... I think I'm screwed...
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

300px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

O Canada!
        Our home and native land!
        True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
        The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
        O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Attached Files
        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
        And planted firm Britannia's flag
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        And joined in love together,
        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I want to buy a house.

But.

I don't know if we are realistically going to stay here, and I don't want to buy a house and have to sell it in 2-3 years.

But.

The market is going up.

But.

I want to get caught up on our outstanding bills (car payments, doctor bills, etc) before I worry about the utilities of a house...we just now (within the last year) have gotten to a position where we can pay our bills ontime every month and buy groceries, etc, and have some money left over.
          Only you know what's best for you and your family. But. I would at least look into what a house would cost you. Talk to a couple banks and see what your rate would be and what your monthly house payment would be. I know our payment on a three bedroom house is $200 cheaper than rent for a two bedroom apartment around here. That easily covers the difference in the extra utility bills for us.

ETA: And happy Canada day to all our Canadian friends! (Do you have any idea how much of a finger-twister typing Canada is for me?)
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Happy Canada Day, to all my Canuck friends!!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Almost forgot about Canada Day this year, but still managed to throw together a small BBQ for tonight. I'll be the only Canadian there, though.

Happy Canada Day, fellow Canucks!

Comment

Happy Canadian Day for the Canadian people. I hope you have a fun filled day of Canadian-ness.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Just back from the vet, and $250 poorer.

Not a bad price, I suppose, since it covered a cat with a nasty ear infection, and a sick goose.

P.S. - Happy Canada Day!
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I am thinking about my summoning to army tomorrow. I won't go to army itself, but only pass a few exams, health check and a colloquy with the army's psychologist...
                    I am super scared....

- - - Updated - - -

And I have to be there at 7:15 am...
                    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                      Only you know what's best for you and your family. But. I would at least look into what a house would cost you. Talk to a couple banks and see what your rate would be and what your monthly house payment would be. I know our payment on a three bedroom house is $200 cheaper than rent for a two bedroom apartment around here. That easily covers the difference in the extra utility bills for us.
                      I wish!

Our 2 bedroom apartment, with washer and dryer and water included, and a pool (and a really nice maintenance guy named Troy), in one of the handful of good school districts in the city, is $871/month....from friends that have bought in our neighborhood in similar situations to ours, we'd pay 1400-1600 for a monthly payment in this same neighborhood, before utilities. Even a 3 bedroom apartment on the beach is cheaper than that...

ETA: And happy Canada day to all our Canadian friends! (Do you have any idea how much of a finger-twister typing Canada is for me?)
                      Seconded!
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        Thalassa, if the market is currently low, and you have the cash for even a minimum down payment, you really can't go wrong buying a house (unless you buy in a slum).

Your house payments will almost certainly end up less than rent, you'll have more room, and you get to write off chunks of interest (but you can't write off rent!). Plus, you can mess around with the kind of stuff you like, such as solar panels...

If you have to sell in a couple of years you won't make money (unless you are lucky ), but, unless the market really tanks (as it did in Michigan. If it drops any lower, people will be paying folks to take a house off their hands. On the way to the beach today almost every lakefront home had a for sale sign in front of it, and nobody's buying), you'll get back the money you put into it. With rent, it's ALL loss.
                        I wish I could do this so badly...similar situation to Thal, but Ca Bay Area: we spend over $2000 for a three bedroom apartment, no washer and dryer, split between us and my BIL. Even after the bubble burst, homes in this area start at around $500,000 and the competition is stiff because anyone on a lower income bracket is getting pushed out of SF and Oakland. A rent keeps rising, but we don't worry about being illegally foreclosed on, like some of my friends back two years ago.

If I could find a place that we could afford, decent school district, that would let both of us work without an insane commute, wasn't so dilapidated that we were dropping the money to fix the place anyway, and had room for a garden, I would be such a happy woman. Seems to be too many requests, though.

ETA: an extra bonus would be not needing to cross any bridges or pass through Oakland to get to my friend's homestead in case of disaster or zombie apocalypse. I can dream, right?
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Wow!

Every place I've ever lived, buying was cheaper than renting. That's a shocker!

I pay $650 for a roomy 3 bedroom house, with dinning area, living room, fair sized kitchen on two acres. Rent here for a two bedroom apartment runs around $700.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Wow, that sounds nice. Eventually, hopefully...

This might interest you, Corbin: I saw something similar a couple of days ago, but couldn't find the exact article.

This is very accurate to my experience. I need to hold down a job to pay my student loans, but still need the darn degree! And it was one that planned on higher education to be useful, so there's no telling if that will ever happen now. All of that has to be sorted out before I can consider a home, or even advance much farther at my job.
                            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Move to Hawker. Houses here go for 95,000 easy.
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Our house is in a pretty good neighborhood, decent school district, and in real good shape. 3 bedroom. Big yard. Garage. Cost 70,000. Our payment is like 550 a month..

Comment

Working...
                                X