X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now?

Originally posted by iris View Post
    Jembru, if your husband wants to improve he should consider taking slme improv classes. I've been doing longform improv for half a year now, one of the men in my group is a stand up comedian - has been for a few years now - and he says he can feel how much the training has improved his stand up.
    I wonder if there's anything like this in the area? I'll look into it though. I suggested joining a drama group just to get used to performing. I think even when the material is weak, a strong stage presence can go a long way! Improv training might be more appropriate to his needs though, so I'll see what there is. The North East of England isn't very artsy though, so it might not be possible.

- - - Updated - - -was serious. *sigh*
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      I wonder if there's anything like this in the area? I'll look into it though. I suggested joining a drama group just to get used to performing. I think even when the material is weak, a strong stage presence can go a long way! Improv training might be more appropriate to his needs though, so I'll see what there is. The North East of England isn't very artsy though, so it might not be possible.

- - - Updated - - -was serious. *sigh*
      Inprov teaches you to think on your feet, also that sometimes getting a laugh is more about being emotionally relateable than dropping punchlines ^^ I'd absolutely recommend it. It's also just great fun doing. The kind I do is American longform, I know there's a group in Glasgow but not really sure where else over there
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Inprov teaches you to think on your feet, also that sometimes getting a laugh is more about being emotionally relateable than dropping punchlines ^^ I'd absolutely recommend it. It's also just great fun doing. The kind I do is American longform, I know there's a group in Glasgow but not really sure where else over there
        What's the difference between styles?
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

What's the difference between styles?
          I'm no expert shortform tends to be short scenes of a minute or two, with a clear punchline. Longform creates a 'play' of about 30 minutes from a single audience suggestion - both are excellent. We use shortform as a warmup. But longform, to me at least, gives more in regard to performance because once you get yourself tangled into a story you're gonna have to commit and see it through.
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I'm no expert shortform tends to be short scenes of a minute or two, with a clear punchline. Longform creates a 'play' of about 30 minutes from a single audience suggestion - both are excellent. We use shortform as a warmup. But longform, to me at least, gives more in regard to performance because once you get yourself tangled into a story you're gonna have to commit and see it through.
            Both sound useful. I'll pass this on to him. It sounds like an ideal way to spend his time while he's taking his break from performing. Might even give him some material!

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'm living my life like a Satanic hermit.

It's pretty grand.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I found this: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-n...cHe?li=BBnb7Kz on MSN. They're knitting sweaters for elephants. I think that is so darn cute!
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Both sound useful. I'll pass this on to him. It sounds like an ideal way to spend his time while he's taking his break from performing. Might even give him some material!
                  I have always heard from Stand up comics(on TV) that is one of the toughest gigs. Many spent years honing their act in little clubs. Improv might help a lot,getting the timing right,and reading the audience to gauge what is funny to them.
                  Last edited by anunitu; 26 Jan 2017, 17:31.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Most of them are back home. I'm sure they're somewhere around here, just not openly practicing

Comment

Australian popular current affairs and comedy program.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        I have always heard from Stand up comics(on TV) that is one of the toughest gigs. Many spent years honing their act in little clubs. Improv might help a lot,getting the timing right,and reading the audience to gauge what is funny to them.
                        The way he feels right now, I'm not sure he'll do it again. It sucks because his first gig went pretty well, but he's only seeing the negative. He was even told by an established comedian that he had some good material, but he shrugs that off because I had approached the guy, so JP thinks any thing he said was under duress.

I think it's embarrassment and/or humiliation that he's feeling. Those are some pretty painful emotions to work through. I just hope he can learn to own the experience. Now he has a story to tell when he finally nails it. Even if he never makes it, I think the best way to show the people he feels he bombed in front of, what he's really made of, is to say, 'okay, so that didn't go as planned, so you know what, I'm going to take some lessons to develop my confidence and delivery, and I'm going to try again'. To me, THAT'S more impressive than just miraculously being good from the very start. That ability to keep at it even through the trials and humiliation.

I can't force him though. It has to be something he does on his own. I just hate to see him hurting like this.
                        Last edited by Jembru; 27 Jan 2017, 20:29.

Comment

I'm off Sunday. Want to do something. But also will be tired. I'm thinking a quick bus ride to the Lake will do nicely. I'm thinking of packing a lunch, taking my audiobook and finding a tree with lots of grass to chillax.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My nephew is going to be staying with us today and we're going to see Discover the Dinosaurs today. I can't wait till my sister brings him over. I hope he likes it.
                            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Oh God. It's 1.20 am. I just finished an 8 hr bar shift (well I did at midnight). Then sat out the front with the last of the patrons till I made hubby go home at like 1ish. Now those same last patrons are at my house.
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Just got home from our show I I DID IT! I'm really happy, wasn't even really nervous once I got there. The trip there was the worst of it. I rock this acting thing
                                What babe?
                                The babe with the power
                                What power?
                                The Power of voodoo
                                Who do?
                                You do!
                                Do what?
                                Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Working...