X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by Denarius View Post

Compared to an elephant and a blue whale, yes Shaq is not that much bigger than Nate... In terms of modern militaries, Canada is no where near the US's weight class.
    Try "no one else on the planet"

carry on....

:eeevil:
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
      Try "no one else on the planet" carry on....
      Try "no three other nations on the planet combined" carry on...

That said, discussing just how very much the US military took the concept of "Go Big or Go Home" and ran with it does in this instance sort of fall into the whole US/Canada rivalry that Doc was initially annoyed about. Yes we went to town on building a military, no that is not the only relevant metric to assess nations by.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        Try "no three other nations on the planet combined" carry on...
        Ask me how I knew this was going to be your next post. :creepy:

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Ask me how I knew this was going to be your next post. :creepy:
          Well, there are two possibilities....

1) You have skills that the Holy Inquisition might find useful and you have now been volunteered

2) You've been receiving the blessings of unsactioned Ruinous Powers and well....

let's stick to option 1 shall we
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            Well, there are two possibilities....

1) You have skills that the Holy Inquisition might find useful and you have now been volunteered

2) You've been receiving the blessings of unsactioned Ruinous Powers and well....

let's stick to option 1 shall we
            Heh heh heh, sure, let's :eeevil:

~Jim Butcher

Comment

I know it was discussed the other day but i think I will finally give in and treat myself to some chinese food. Yep I will.
              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Forgot what I was thinking when I first came in here.

Now I'm thinking how ironic it was that I was shocked the first time I heard someone call the US a militaristic nation.
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Imma go out and do some drinking tomorrow night... When I say go out I mean to someone's house, and I have not been good and proper wasted in a long time, I wonder how this is gonna go..... Wish me luck!

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                    Forgot what I was thinking when I first came in here.

Now I'm thinking how ironic it was that I was shocked the first time I heard someone call the US a militaristic nation.
                    Militaristic is sort of relative. Yes we have a crazy huge military by any standard on the planet but we also have a huge economy (and debt to go with it but that doesn't negate the point). There are several nations floating around that still practice universal military service, the US would suffer a political cf of epic proportion if the president hinted at the phrase Selective Service. We also don't generally engage in some of the loonier militaristic notions of WW2 Germany or Japan (given that some of their militaristic notions demonstrably suck a**, this is a good thing).

Comment

GUYS, GUYS. HOLY SHIT. I HAVE INTERNET IN MY HOUSE. It's slow as balls, but omg, I'm connected.

Mostly art.

Comment

Imma go out and do some drinking tomorrow night... When I say go out I mean to someone's house, and I have not been good and proper wasted in a long time, I wonder how this is gonna go..... Wish me luck!
                        Good luck.

I'm thinking this:

IMG_47129736095273.jpg
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I think I'm being Karmically rewarded for finding that stray kitteh a good home. The squirrel-proof bird feeder really IS - and there've been far fewer feral cats. The neighbor I could do without, I've been without, as they're apparently on vacations. And the resident Gladys Kravitz (remember Bewitched?) hasn't been home all day either. It's been a beautiful few days in the neighborhood!
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I am about to journey into a land of much feels. I downloaded the comic of The Fountain. And I found a youtube version that re orders the movie to go more with the comic. If you haven't seen the movie, it's one of the most spiritually emotional movies. Visually stunning. Like being in a dream.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              GUYS, GUYS. HOLY SHIT. I HAVE INTERNET IN MY HOUSE. It's slow as balls, but omg, I'm connected.
                              Congrats on connectivity.

...but... what is the speed of balls?
                              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Chelyabinsk.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                                X