X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
    I've run into a series of people that have used it to clean open wounds, like cuts or scrapes. I guess the idea was that as long as the stuff is bubbling, it's "eating" up any infection in the wound. I used to use a gallon can of carb/parts cleaner, to perform the same function.

Something like this:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3308[/ATTACH]
    Can Heka use it to clean contact lenses?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Hydrogen peroxide?
      while hydrogen peroxide is an anti-septic, we don't have any. I think we had a big bottle a few weeks ago after I complained (I've been complaining about a lack of disinfectant for months) but my brother took the entire bottle and did god knows what with it. Considering he used the rubbing alcohol to clean his pipe/bong, he might've taken it for that. I'm not sure if it would work though since I know nothing about that sort of thing.

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      Whatd you do?
      It's just a thing I'm noticing. What prompted it is a recurring ingrown toenail (which happened after the nail grew back, after a home delivery grocery guy dropped a bag of cans on my toe and I think that's why the growth was messed up). The nail was cutting into the skin again and I wanted a disinfectant for it. I should probably get it dealt with my a doctor so it actually takes care of it but I really hate going to the doc for something so trivial.
      Circe

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        Can Heka use it to clean contact lenses?

I honestly don't know.

I mean, you don't want the solution in the eyes, at all. But the solvent is rinsed off with regular water, and blown dry or left to air dry, leaving no residue (except perhaps minerals in the water). If I had contacts, I'd test it for ya. Then we could find out if it's safe for Heka to clean her contact lenses with.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
          There is no antiseptic in the house. There is no antibiotic in the house. We have soap and salt (Epsom salts and table salt).
          I mean it works but I'd like at least some alcohol. Considering my step mom is a nurse, you'd think..
          If it's an open wound and is still bleeding, allowing it to bleed while you hold it under cold water will pretty well do the trick until you can get it properly looked at. (my wife's a nurse too). If it's not too painful you can (ouch) rub the wound like you would clean your skin (as long as your hands are clean, duh)

I wouldn't put anything on an open wound that wasn't meant for it though...you just have no idea what standards anyone uses for other shit - your mechanic probably doesn't care if there's some flesh eating bacteria in his carburetor

I wouldn't use the salt for anything other than a mouth wound (and then it would be saltwater, not just salt). Then again, I'm reckless (I believe in my body's immune system, and I give it every reason to work hard) and only worry about things when they get worse.

Be that as it may, your body is amazing at taking care of tons of shit all on its own...it's really the rare occurrence that a relatively healthy person will get something truly devastating...unless they visit a hospital, then all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
            while hydrogen peroxide is an anti-septic, we don't have any. I think we had a big bottle a few weeks ago after I complained (I've been complaining about a lack of disinfectant for months) but my brother took the entire bottle and did god knows what with it. Considering he used the rubbing alcohol to clean his pipe/bong, he might've taken it for that. I'm not sure if it would work though since I know nothing about that sort of thing.

It's just a thing I'm noticing. What prompted it is a recurring ingrown toenail (which happened after the nail grew back, after a home delivery grocery guy dropped a bag of cans on my toe and I think that's why the growth was messed up). The nail was cutting into the skin again and I wanted a disinfectant for it. I should probably get it dealt with my a doctor so it actually takes care of it but I really hate going to the doc for something so trivial.
            In this case you can use some kind of salve in order to somehow suppress the bleeding for a while and then visit a doctor. Unless of course you can do something in your home. If it's too serious you really should.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I'm thinking that I may use the old, big, junked satellite dish to make a garden fountain...

It should be a fairly easy project, but I'll have to locate a pump & fountainhead somewhere.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                I'm thinking that I may use the old, big, junked satellite dish to make a garden fountain...

It should be a fairly easy project, but I'll have to locate a pump & fountainhead somewhere.
                How low of a volume on the pump? Water-pick type or small sump pump type?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

How low of a volume on the pump? Water-pick type or small sump pump type?
                  Somewhere in between.

I've pulled the stuff off the dish (easy, but the dish was in the farm dump & the 'skeeters were terrible), I'll plug the bolt holes with epoxy putty, and I'm currently pursuing on-line pond catalogues to get an idea of what I need...

Looks like about $120 - 200, if I buy new.

Comment

I honestly don't know.

I mean, you don't want the solution in the eyes, at all. But the solvent is rinsed off with regular water, and blown dry or left to air dry, leaving no residue (except perhaps minerals in the water). If I had contacts, I'd test it for ya. Then we could find out if it's safe for Heka to clean her contact lenses with.
                    I've switched to daily contacts. Having major issues with comfort, so don't go out of your way
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Brother says if he was going to rob us, he would shoot us all first. Well that is certainly comforting!

I hope he aspirates on his vomit.
                      Circe

Comment

speaking of eyes, I'm tired and mine itch. I can't even blame contacts, so I need to go to bed as I suspect the last half dozen posts are barely legible.

Corvus, your brother is a tool. If you ever need to escape, we have a couch.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

My recommended videos on youtube option has gone gone missing.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm trying to remember who said this:

"Why would you crown a man who pulled a sword out of a stone? You want the guy who put the sword INTO the stone."

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                              I'm trying to remember who said this:

"Why would you crown a man who pulled a sword out of a stone? You want the guy who put the sword INTO the stone."
                              It appears to be a paraphrase of

“What’s so hard about pulling a sword out of a stone? The real work’s already been done. You ought to make yourself useful and find the man who put the sword in the stone in the first place, eh?”

from Men at Arms by Terry and Lynn Prachett.

I say appears because it is 1:18 AM and I cannot be arsed to confirm my sources.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Um. Didn't the man that put the sword into the stone like, dead?
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X