This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Thinking About?

Am I the only one who has noticed that many teens today (especially the guys) seem to always sound as if they're in a daze when they speak?

I work at a grocery store where I'm around quite a few teenagers and I also have teenaged customers sometimes. Many times I've noticed that they talk in a tone of voice that makes them sound like they're in a constant daze. They speak in a pretty slow fashion, in this monotone type of voice, with no emotion or animation. Seriously, it's like they have difficulty thinking well enough to speak in a normal, average speed fashion. I just wonder what they're going to do when applying to a more serious job than sacking groceries. People aren't going to take them seriously when they sound so uneducated. (Now don't take that the wrong way. I'm not saying they are uneducated; it's just that the way they sound gives the impression they are not intelligent.)

I never noticed this when I was in school with my classmates. I wonder if it has to do with so many kids nowadays communicating more using nonverbal methods. They don't get as much experience speaking properly since there are so many nonverbal ways to have conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by Arella View Post
      Am I the only one who has noticed that many teens today (especially the guys) seem to always sound as if they're in a daze when they speak?

I work at a grocery store where I'm around quite a few teenagers and I also have teenaged customers sometimes. Many times I've noticed that they talk in a tone of voice that makes them sound like they're in a constant daze. They speak in a pretty slow fashion, in this monotone type of voice, with no emotion or animation. Seriously, it's like they have difficulty thinking well enough to speak in a normal, average speed fashion. I just wonder what they're going to do when applying to a more serious job than sacking groceries. People aren't going to take them seriously when they sound so uneducated. (Now don't take that the wrong way. I'm not saying they are uneducated; it's just that the way they sound gives the impression they are not intelligent.)

I never noticed this when I was in school with my classmates. I wonder if it has to do with so many kids nowadays communicating more using nonverbal methods. They don't get as much experience speaking properly since there are so many nonverbal ways to have conversations.
      It's just a their character. I'm a teenager, and it can be fairly said that when I speak, it's without any tone of daze. But a normal, calm tone. Don't pay much attention to it.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
        It's just a their character. I'm a teenager, and it can be fairly said that when I speak, it's without any tone of daze. But a normal, calm tone. Don't pay much attention to it.
        I understand what you're saying. But these teens aren't speaking in a normal, calm tone. Many of them sound like one of those stereotypical dumb jocks you see portrayed in TVs and movies. Like they have no brain power.

Comment

I understand what you're saying. But these teens aren't speaking in a normal, calm tone. Many of them sound like one of those stereotypical dumb jocks you see portrayed in TVs and movies. Like they have no brain power.
          I understand what you are saying. Perhaps they really don't....
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            I understand what you are saying. Perhaps they really don't....
            Yeah, I'm sure it's true for some of them. The others, I just figure they never got to learn the "art" of speaking. I just think it's sad because if they don't change it, I'm sure it will affect their future. Maybe school has a bit to do with it, too. I know many school districts seem to be dumbing-down their education plans, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and congrats on hitting a 1,000 posts!

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure it's true for some of them. The others, I just figure they never got to learn the "art" of speaking. I just think it's sad because if they don't change it, I'm sure it will affect their future. Maybe school has a bit to do with it, too. I know many school districts seem to be dumbing-down their education plans, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and congrats on hitting a 1,000 posts!
              Maybe it has something to do with their school. Maybe they just find it hard to express themselves in words. I haven't seen or heard them, so I can only guess. And you are right here - it will affect their future if they don't change it.
              In my high school I visit the classes of three languages. Two are included in the basic programme, and the third is optional. The two basic languages are Hebrew and English. The optional one is Arabic. So all of the three teachers (Arabic, English, Hebrew), encourage us to learn more words as possible, and to train our grammar. And it shows that they DO care.
              Maybe in their school doesn't offer such a big variety of languages. Or perhaps it doesn't care that much.

And thanks. ^_^

Comment

The data don't support a conclusion.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                  And pain, it smiles happily
                  As it blossoms into agony
                  Though it's nothing new to me
                  I still yearn for it to let me be

Bed sores and a foggy mind
                  Wish on others, nothing of the kind
                  Peaceful rest, I long to find
                  Coffin comfort that is satin lined.
                  That bad, huh?

On my poetry website I have a whole section of 'Ode to insomnia' works. I didn't realize it was that bad till I realized I have a whole dedicated section!
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Chaos begins tomorrow. Tonight is essentially the last time I get to sleep until Tuesday.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      Chaos begins tomorrow. Tonight is essentially the last time I get to sleep until Tuesday.
                      Best of luck
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                          I'm thinking that ThorsSon is no longer single and/or availablr.
                          So no more fun times?
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'm thinking about how much I hate floral scents. But, I have to make floral-scented candles for my customers...

.... And I accidentally spilled lavender oil in the kitchen and now both my dad and I can't breath. Lovely.

Comment

Here in Vegas, you get trained out of that. You have to be animated, alert, peppy, 'talk with a smile in your voice', all the go-go customer service super-happy sugar-coated facade that our hospitality industry is famous for. Behind the scenes, it doesn't matter how young you are, or how naturally happy you are, we all sound like grumpy 64-year olds who are too broke to retire.
                              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Me and my ovaries are currently at war.
                                I'm going to attempt to sedate them with more Tylenol. And diet Coke.
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X