Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an Administrator help me with an account issue ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an Administrator help me with an account issue ?

I had an old account here by the name of Sith, I made it 9 years ago. I forgot the password and I deleted my old email and forgot that I had the account. I wanted to know if it was possible for you to merge that account with this new one I made. I still remember the email name I registered under if you need me to prove that it is me. I have no way of getting back in and I don't like the idea of leaving a dormant account on the site that I can't access. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks Sith

I'm gonna punt this up to Juni.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      I'm gonna punt this up to Juni.
      Thank you, I also had some other account security questions that had unclear answers in the FAQ thread.

Like what is the difference between account deletion and closing, it said you don't delete accounts only close them ? Does this mean when you close an account it is no longer able to be logged into permanently and all data like name, password and email are deleted ?

Another question I had was about emails, are emails only registered to one account or can people reuse emails to more than one account? if an email is confirmed is it no longer usable to create an account with ? Does this apply to accounts that are deleted or closed are those emails no longer usable to create accounts with ?

Have a good day, Sith

Comment

Originally posted by Sith0 View Post

Thank you, I also had some other account security questions that had unclear answers in the FAQ thread.

Like what is the difference between account deletion and closing, it said you don't delete accounts only close them ? Does this mean when you close an account it is no longer able to be logged into permanently and all data like name, password and email are deleted ?

Another question I had was about emails, are emails only registered to one account or can people reuse emails to more than one account? if an email is confirmed is it no longer usable to create an account with ? Does this apply to accounts that are deleted or closed are those emails no longer usable to create accounts with ?

Have a good day, Sith
        Skipping the FAQ which may need to be updated as lot of it is over five years old, we don't generally like to truly delete accounts except when Spam is involved. I'd vastly prefer to just level a modified ban at the account to lock it down against intrusion but still leave the account in existence to make searching posts from it easier. We can and have upon special request actually deleted accounts. We generally will not delete actual posts when doing this (except in case of spammers who have nothing worth remembering). The account will be removed from the user database and the posts will continue existing with a guest of the previous account's username. This will also typically remove all email and ip information from when enacted. I say typically because if a user decides to pick one or many fights with the staff or other users and then asks for a deletion out of the blue then we may copy enough data to identify them if they try and make a second account. It's not generally an issue though. Generally account deletion is requested by members in good standing or at least members that we have no reason to suspect deceit from so we'll point out that deletion will not wipe posts and cannot be reversed, if the user still wants deletion then it's granted.

Regarding the various email questions, if the account is deleted then the email is no longer in our database. The only way it would be noticed at all is staff took note of it and are actively watching for it. This is very unlikely to happen with most people. The other questions are handled by VB settings that I haven't examined in detail yet on our new software. We've been on VB 5 less than 10 days, I haven't seen and tested everything yet.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post

Skipping the FAQ which may need to be updated as lot of it is over five years old, we don't generally like to truly delete accounts except when Spam is involved. I'd vastly prefer to just level a modified ban at the account to lock it down against intrusion but still leave the account in existence to make searching posts from it easier. We can and have upon special request actually deleted accounts. We generally will not delete actual posts when doing this (except in case of spammers who have nothing worth remembering). The account will be removed from the user database and the posts will continue existing with a guest of the previous account's username. This will also typically remove all email and ip information from when enacted. I say typically because if a user decides to pick one or many fights with the staff or other users and then asks for a deletion out of the blue then we may copy enough data to identify them if they try and make a second account. It's not generally an issue though. Generally account deletion is requested by members in good standing or at least members that we have no reason to suspect deceit from so we'll point out that deletion will not wipe posts and cannot be reversed, if the user still wants deletion then it's granted.

Regarding the various email questions, if the account is deleted then the email is no longer in our database. The only way it would be noticed at all is staff took note of it and are actively watching for it. This is very unlikely to happen with most people. The other questions are handled by VB settings that I haven't examined in detail yet on our new software. We've been on VB 5 less than 10 days, I haven't seen and tested everything yet.
          Thanks for the answer , basically I don't think I have much to contribute to the site anymore, and I don't like leaving accounts I can't access open. So I was hoping that my old account of Sith and this one Sith0 could be deleted after I hear back about re accessing my old account Sith.
          Last edited by Guest; 22 Mar 2024, 17:41. Reason: missing punctuation mark

Comment

I'll update the note I sent Juni. She hasn't logged in the past two days. I don't know when precisely I'll get a reply though I expect it to be relatively soon. If she approves deletion, I can either PM you in advance or just enact deletion and treat this thread as warning that actual posts will survive and that account deletion is irrevocable, do you have a preference?

Comment

Originally posted by Sith0 View Post

Thanks for the answer , basically I don't think I have much to contribute to the site anymore, and I don't like leaving accounts I can't access open. So I was hoping that my old account of Sith and this one Sith0 could be deleted after I hear back about re accessing my old account Sith.
              Alright, Juni got hold of me, PM me the old email address. If it matches what we have on file for the Sith account then I'll delete both Sith and Sith0. As stated earlier, forum posts will remain intact and deletion is irrevocable.

Comment

I would also like to put this out there for any future inquirers. We are pretty relaxed and accommodating when community members want to have their accounts deleted. As Masked has already noted (and our FAQ/Rules state), we don't delete posts unless a special circumstance calls for this kind of action which is determined on a case by case basis.

However, what I would like to request is that instead of making a new account just to ask for it to be merged with an original account and/or deleted right after, I would strongly urge those folks to use the Contact Us form - the link can be found at the bottom of every forum page near the footer section. We have resolved the issue where the forum wasn't properly executing sending emails so these requests are now coming through to me again and I can follow up directly to get the proper information needed to move forward. Creating a secondary account is not only against our forum policy but it also creates unnecessary extra work for us.

That said, both Masked and I have regular jobs and may not see a topic like this for a while but a Contact Us form will notify me straight away via email which may provide a faster response time.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                X