This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debate on the christian bible

Iv looked into the whole bible thing and I found out that part of the Vatican had taken parts of the bible out and told us what we are reading is the bible period. They put fictional characters into it to make people understand what there talking about it. They wont let anyone know what's going to happen. What they really took out of the bible are things that are going to happen in the future and what heaven really is about. They think is that if you get your hands on it, it will give you the power to do what ever you want. Debatable or not ?

Re: Debate on the christian bible

They definitely have scriptures they don't want anyone to know. If I know anything about power hungry people is that they revel in secrecy. Knowledge is power after all but I always thought some religious groups keep the secret scriptures they don't want anyone to know about. Of course they will deny it up and down. If you tell people a lie over and over and repeat it, they tend to believe in it. Will we ever get the answers. Who knows really, but I hope we have a better perspective on Christianity by looking into it.

Comment

It's actually a lot more complicated than that. The original convention sorted through a ton of books and made an effort to determine what was written by credible authors. There are many books that they determined to be written falsely and they were left out. How they made that determination may or may not have been the best way. But it was in an effort to make one cohesive book to bring their people together and it is a practice that has been done in nearly every religion with a written record.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikumilover90 View Post
        Iv looked into the whole bible thing and I found out that part of the Vatican had taken parts of the bible out and told us what we are reading is the bible period. They put fictional characters into it to make people understand what there talking about it. They wont let anyone know what's going to happen. What they really took out of the bible are things that are going to happen in the future and what heaven really is about. They think is that if you get your hands on it, it will give you the power to do what ever you want. Debatable or not ?
        You've looked into the whole bible thing? Wow! How many lifetimes did that take?

I think if you want to debate this, you're really going to need to provide a bit of back-up. Otherwise it sounds like unsupported paranoia.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          You've looked into the whole bible thing? Wow! How many lifetimes did that take?

I think if you want to debate this, you're really going to need to provide a bit of back-up. Otherwise it sounds like unsupported paranoia.
          Well I wouldn't say it's paranoia. People have always kept secrets from each other and those in power do it the most. "Holy Blood Holy Grail" is a good book that talks about something similar to this, that there are scriptures in France that talked about Jesus' life, that he actually was the line of King David, but had a family and brothers and sisters. It's a good book and talks about parts that should have been in the modern day bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
            Well I wouldn't say it's paranoia. People have always kept secrets from each other and those in power do it the most. "Holy Blood Holy Grail" is a good book that talks about something similar to this, that there are scriptures in France that talked about Jesus' life, that he actually was the line of King David, but had a family and brothers and sisters. It's a good book and talks about parts that should have been in the modern day bible.
            But the Holy Blood Holy Grail book was quite well referenced. All a scripture means is that it is written... so what are the scripture in France you're referring too? What sort of date are we talking about? Is there an online version that can be viewed?

The bit about Jesus being of the line of David is in the usual bible by the way. And as for him having brothers and sisters, this is a real problem due to inadequacies of translation - brethren can mean real brothers (and sisters) along with cousins.

Comment

I could go into the broad strokes of Church history and how the Bible was compiled from multiple writings over multiple generations and that choosing what not to include in a compilation is almost as important as choosing what to include. There are standard arguments about this type of conspiracy theory but I'm bored so let's take a different approach.

The Catholic Church has secret and objective revelation about the nature of God, Heaven and the Universe. If this is true, if we really absolutely believe this then the answer is to take Holy Orders and work our way up through the Church hierarchy until we can view these revelations since we are all objectively wrong. So, who's first? Which plucky young conspiracy theorist wants to take Holy Orders so that they can infiltrate the Church and find what it's hiding from mankind?

I'll be waiting over here to see who volunteers.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                I'll bring you a cup of tea. And a couple of biscuits?

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  I could go into the broad strokes of Church history and how the Bible was compiled from multiple writings over multiple generations and that choosing what not to include in a compilation is almost as important as choosing what to include. There are standard arguments about this type of conspiracy theory but I'm bored so let's take a different approach.

The Catholic Church has secret and objective revelation about the nature of God, Heaven and the Universe. If this is true, if we really absolutely believe this then the answer is to take Holy Orders and work our way up through the Church hierarchy until we can view these revelations since we are all objectively wrong. So, who's first? Which plucky young conspiracy theorist wants to take Holy Orders so that they can infiltrate the Church and find what it's hiding from mankind?

The sarcasm isn't necessary nor is it called for. I mean it's painfully obvious they have hidden things. Because religious groups and governments have always told us the truth right? They would never lie to us. Yeah that'd be pretty much the only way to actually look into it is if you are accepted into their group and even then, you may not learn all of their secrets. If there's one thing power hungry people revel in, it's secrecy. But people are labeled conspiracy theorists, which is a term I detest because anyone who questions things or tries to think outside the box is labeled crazy or some ad hominem.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                    The sarcasm isn't necessary nor is it called for. I mean it's painfully obvious they have hidden things. Because religious groups and governments have always told us the truth right? They would never lie to us. Yeah that'd be pretty much the only way to actually look into it is if you are accepted into their group and even then, you may not learn all of their secrets. If there's one thing power hungry people revel in, it's secrecy. But people are labeled conspiracy theorists, which is a term I detest because anyone who questions things or tries to think outside the box is labeled crazy or some ad hominem.
                    Hang on... I don't have a problem with conspiracy theories provided that they're reasonably well supported with a bit of evidence.
                    So don't get upset, just tell us what evidence you have and let's take it from there...

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                      Hang on... I don't have a problem with conspiracy theories provided that they're reasonably well supported with a bit of evidence.
                      So don't get upset, just tell us what evidence you have and let's take it from there...
                      Well I don't mean you in particular have a problem with those theories so sorry if it sounded like I was lashing out on you or anything. I mentioned those books which do talk about missing parts of the bible. Reincarnation wasn't unheard until later and even Jesus talked about reincarnation as well. I can hopefully provide more evidence in the future, but one should check out those books if they haven't already.

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Who's being sarcastic?

If you believe that the Catholic Church stumbled across Fundamental Truth and then chose to conceal it then your best odds of getting access to their secrets is through Holy Orders so go take them. I'm not sure why you'd give them credit for having Fundamental Truth let alone the unity and competence to conceal it so long but that's my problem. If you don't think they're working to conceal some Fundamental Truth and that instead the Vatican is merely the governing body of an organization that chose only to print what it felt was accurate and useful instead of every Christian writing it had access to than the internal squabbles of Christianity are an academic point at most for non-Christians.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Alienist, I think the books you are referring to are the Gnostic Gospels. They were a group who believed (generally. They're not really a group, they're more a loosely associate group of subgroups.), that Jesus came to save us from the demiurge - the creator god who made the material world to entrap our souls... it goes on, it's a whole big mythology...

Generally, their gospels had Jesus passing on secret knowledge to one off his other followers. Mary, Thomas (who is the hero instead of the buffoon, in their version), or even Judas (who, in their version is the one who is the great hero, not the evil betrayer).

Some of the early dudes who made up the Bible decided which parts told the right story, and tried to get rid of as many contradictory parts as they could. These books, and the people who followed them, eventually became extinct.

But not quite.

Research "gnostic gospels" or "Nag Hammadi Library" for much more information.

P.S. IMHO - the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" is B.S. The scholarship would be sloppy for even a high school senior.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikumilover90 View Post
                            The Bible as we know it today is a compilation of various texts that were put together to form a standard for the faith and make it easier for the clergy to know what they were supposed to be teaching their followers. The Catholic Church is pretty open about this fact. Then of course is the fact that various Christian groups disagree about the correct translations of said compiled texts and so squabble about which Bible is the 'true Bible'. Some of them include books of their own that are quite obviously and openly in addition to the traditional books of the Bible.

What gets me about this whole 'debate' is the bit where the mysterious 'They' (the Vatican?) took out prophecies about the future and think that we'll be given super powers if we read them. Erm. What?

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                              The Bible as we know it today is a compilation of various texts that were put together to form a standard for the faith and make it easier for the clergy to know what they were supposed to be teaching their followers. The Catholic Church is pretty open about this fact. Then of course is the fact that various Christian groups disagree about the correct translations of said compiled texts and so squabble about which Bible is the 'true Bible'. Some of them include books of their own that are quite obviously and openly in addition to the traditional books of the Bible.

What gets me about this whole 'debate' is the bit where the mysterious 'They' (the Vatican?) took out prophecies about the future and think that we'll be given super powers if we read them. Erm. What?
                              well super powers are a little of exaggeration but the whole idea of what is really going on in the bible would push people into being power hungry worse then what they are today. The possibility of knowing if the world will end up having an anarchy would also push a person into complete madness. That may be also why they are hiding it to.

Comment

Working...
                              X