X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heka
    replied
    When I moved out of home, whenever I returned, and the cat came up and rubbed against me, I would experience some reactions. Never happenrd when I lived there full time. Guess I just dropped whatever tolerance I had for it. Meh, it's not too bad to bother me.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied
    Re: Pets chit chat thread

I have been lucky not to be allergic to cats ever. This works out well because Cats are my very favorite animal in all the world.

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

^Lol, and I'll add to that one too...

The protein (Fel d 1) that most people are allergic to is produced by their salivary, anal, and sebaceous glands (BUT there are a number of other proteins that people are allergic to also--fel d 2, fel d 4, fel d 5, fel d 6, fel d 7, and fel d 8). While the skin carries the most fel d 1 (from the sebaceous glands), cats that groom a lot can be problematic because their saliva (and their skin oils) get into their hair). Part of the reason that some cats are worse than others, is because how much of this protien they make varies from cat to cat. As a generalization, females make less Fel d 1 than males, "fixed" cats make less than their fertile counterparts, and for some reason light haired cats may make less Fel d 1 as well...also, less Fel d 1 is found at the tip of hairs than the root of them....but none of this really matters, because the amount of fel d 1 in the home pretty much ends up the same because of the physical properties of fel d 1. The exception being a multi-cat environment--that's probably a bad idea if you have manageable cat allergies, because it can turn them into unmanageable cat allergies, just from the amount of the protein in the environment.

The problem with Fel d 1 is that it is lightweight and "sticky"---basically, it stays suspended in the air and gets on everything...and stays there. Some studies show that the results of bathing is a negligable in terms of allergens in the home, but some of that is probably because of the "resivoir" of Fel d 1 in the home-on couches, draperies, the air filter, carpeting, etc. Washing the cat only works if you are using something that reduces and/or denatures the allergens (although studies on this are mixed, and *imo* depend on the methodology of the study) while addressing the allergen resivoirs as well (the technical term for this is "resivoir abatement")...vacuuming with a hepa vac, hepa filters, hepa air filters for household unit OR very frequent changes, frequent washing and/or replacement of fabrics with hard, wipable surfaces, mattress covers, pillow covers, etc.

Also, there's no such thing as a hypoallergenic cat--yes, there are cats that have been bred for their (naturally occuring genetic variation) low fel d 1 production, but they still have other allergens present...including fel d 1. Something else to think about is that fel d 1 is similar to a common dust mite protien, and, for peeps with dog allergies Can f 6--how different allergens might work together is still an area of research that is poorly understood. Another thing that is poorly understood is how one might become accustomed to the presence of an allergen. Shahaku, you mentioned it yourself---if you can suck it up for a while, often the problem lessens in severity or goes away. The problem being that once you aren't exposed for a while a later exposure can cause a worse reaction (which may or may not go away after prolonged exposure). One of the reasons we got a kitten is that they (theoretically) produce less allergen (giving some time for the body to adapt)...and also, because they are more train-able, in terms of dealing with being groomed by a person.

A really fabulous article on the subject can be found here.

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

I'll add to Thal's post that it's not the hair that most people are allergic to but the 'dander'... it's the proteins in the skin layers that are shed from hair follicles and 'dandruffy' skin. Most cats with a double coat will trigger allergies, whether they are long or short haired. Stress will also make them more allergy-inducing (them being stressed, not you!) And poor skn quality due to diet will also increase it.

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    I'm kinda allergic, but some cats I can be around, no clue which ones. So I'd have to go sniff them and see if they make me sneeze or something. I like cats, I've just avoided them cause they make my eyes scratchy. But I've also noticed it's a bit of an exposure thing, after a few days it calms down some.

From personal experience, I don't recommend the sniffing them route--its one of those things where there are so many cats together (if you are at a shelter-like place) you'd have no way of knowing which cat was a problem cat (they'd all seem like problem cats probably).

I am allergic to cats.

Giant welts from tiny scratches, watery eyes the color of hamburger meat because *oops* I touched my face after petting a cat, itchy skin from holding a cat, an asthma attack from time spent with cats. I once had a friend that had to bring a change of freshly laundered clothing, if she was coming over to my house, and shower and change, because I couldn't sit next to her without having an allergy and/or asthma attack...and forget going to her home (with 5 cats and 2 dogs).

So, when we decided to get a kitten, lets just say, it had a touch of crazy to it.

But, I have been around cats sucessfully before--in addition to the occasional cat that doesn't bother my allergies, we had two cats that we raised from bottle fed kittens with their eyes still closed after momma stray cat was hit by a car. My mom is even more allergic to cats that I am, but the kittens didn't bother her that much (at first)...and we eventually discovered a few tricks that helped (they weren't foolproof, but they did help).

1.) The cats have to learn to take baths. They don't have to like them, but they have to suck it up (spray cheese and tuna helps). (I don't totally know how effective it is from a scientific perspective, but there are shampoos that claim to break down the protine that most people are allergic to, and it seems to work...though that could just be from the bath as well)
    2.) They had to stay out of bedrooms. This means closing doors.
    3.) Changing the air filter becomes a religious experience.
    4.) Vacuum daily.
    5.) Keep plenty of antihistamines on hand...and daily allergy meds

For the most part, we did pretty well. We didn't keep the cats forever (they did still bother my mom's allergies, and there were some other mitigating factors), but we managed for the year and a half it took for us to find them a good home that would take both of them.

In the 10+ years since my mom and I bottle raised kitties, there have been some additional things that have come out on the market that have helped in the few weeks we've had Smitten.

6) Allergen-reducing/neutralizing pet wipes. Between baths, the wipes do pretty well.
    7) Claritin makes antihistamine eye drops...buy stock in them, as well as regular lubricating eye drops
    8) Benadryl spray for scratchies
    9) hepa room filters for every room, even those the cat doesn't go into
    10) a hepa vacuum cleaner with which to vacuum daily
    11) Allergen reducing/neutralizing furniture/carpet spray and laundry detergent*
    12) a long-acting asthma medication (either an inhaler, or something like singulair)

*use the laundry detergent to launder any blankets, pillows, etc used in the rooms where the pet lives, and in a mini-steam cleaner, in the place of the regular cleaner

I've had a couple allergy eyeball incidents...and I've needed to use my inhaler a time or two...and I still welt up pretty badly if I get scratched (until I bust out the Benadryl spray)...but overall, its not been so bad...and the incidents that I have had have died down a bit in terms of severity and duration over the past few weeks.

(I might add, that I've owned dogs most of my life, and while I don't consider myself allergic to them, they do bother my allergies in some cases--brushing and bathing mostly)

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

We still have little Dolly. She is such a treasure. I'd share images but even though it's only been a year, I can't remember how to post images to this forum. ^^

She as some great quirks.. like, we keep her as a house cat because of what happened to Magpie, but let her out into our yard when we're outside. If we're out for a while, like sitting on the swing seat on a sunny day, she usually gets bored and heads in on her own (although last time I was out, she had a little sleep on the seat next to me ^^). When we're just hanging out washing, she'll have a little play but then once we go inside she is hot on our heels (okay, sometimes we have to call for her, but she always comes inside). Other than that, she makes no effort to get outside and other than watching the neighbours from the windowsill, shows little interest in the world beyond our walls.

I was so conflicted about keeping a house cat to begin with (although Rae'ya really helped to put my mind at ease), so these little behaviours are very reassuring.

The other thing I love about this cat is that when I am in the study she likes to sleep on the bookcase next to my desk so she can keep an eye on me. She only ever sleeps there if I am studying, and even has a little blanket so she's comfortable. Waking up and finding her curled up between JP and I is one thing.. it's cute, but I can argue she's only there because we're warm. The study though.. when JP is in bed and I'm burning the midnight oil.. that shelf is no warmer or cosier than her other sleeping places. It is the addition of me being in the room that makes her choose that shelf, and that feels so nice. Like I actually matter to her.

She's like a really good friend. I love her to bits.

Leave a comment:

• Shahaku
    replied

Rehomed our big dog. Finally. We sent her off this morning. She's on a farm, lots of running room, experienced owner who will hopefully take really good care of her. Seemed like a nice lady. I'm relieved and sad at the same time.

My hubby and I have been talking about getting a cat or two when things settle down. I'm kinda allergic, but some cats I can be around, no clue which ones. So I'd have to go sniff them and see if they make me sneeze or something. I like cats, I've just avoided them cause they make my eyes scratchy. But I've also noticed it's a bit of an exposure thing, after a few days it calms down some. And I think cats would be a little easier to handle that a husky.

We're going to wait a couple months in any case and see if we still really want to go that route, but we're considering it. I haven't had a cat since I was 10. And they all lived outdoors because of my mom's allergies. So I have no clue really.

I kinda feel like giving a couple rescue kitties a good home would be a decent pay back for having to rehome Koda as well. Then I feel like crap thinking about bringing more animals into our house when we just got rid of one.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Damn uppity cats.....always going for your kill....(almost forgot the rim shot)...badda bing....

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

Bad kitty just stole the ham off of my bread when I went to go get tea.

Leave a comment:

• Shahaku
    replied

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Deciding to give dog adoption another shot, but this time with an adult doggy.

Meet Jasper. It's been a few days, and so far...zero complaints. He doesn't even bark. We've got to work on some training, but everything is manageable.
    Very pretty dog!

So on our side, we've decided to rehome Koda. I put up a pretty detailed ad on craigslist, noting the issues we've had with her and that they'll have to pay a fee (which I plan to give to a shelter) and they'll have to agree to let us check up on her regularly for the first year. I want to be sure she goes to a good home. Crossing my fingers that it works out and that the fee and contract weed out the bad apples.

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Meet Jasper. It's been a few days, and so far...zero complaints. He doesn't even bark. We've got to work on some training, but everything is manageable.
    Aww he's beautiful. Good luck... I think this guy will fit into your family much better!

Leave a comment:

• Heka
    replied

He. Is. Beautiful! !!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rowanwood
    replied

What a pretty boy...husky shepard mix?

Leave a comment:

• volcaniclastic
    replied

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    Would love to hear it. Lol. Just saw this. Don't know how I missed it.
    Sorry, I've been AWOL for a bit and never got back to this... and I honestly don't have much energy right now so here's the quick version.

On seconds thoughts, I've PM'd you. This is all specific to your situation and not particularly relevant to the entire Chit Chat Thread. So I've PMd it to you instead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X