X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha Eatin'?

this was my dinner last night -

Chunk of round steak, about to go out of date $10.00, used half ($5).
    Package of tortillas, $1.00, used 4 out of twenty ($0.20)
    1 green pepper, $0.75
    2 Roma tomatoes $0.75
    1/2 onion $0.12
    various spices, hot sauce, etc. $0.50

Total cost, $7.32

fed me, wife, and one for dog (- the onion), making it $3.66 per person, not including dog.

And very good, too!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Cheese weinee hot dogs!
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
        I find cooking myself FAR cheaper, in the long run, too. If you won't eat leftovers or plan what you are going to make it doesn't work. I think the whole "packaged is cheaper" is actually due to a lack in the skills to make food, not the food itself.

A bag of beans, a bag of rice, some veggies and a small piece of meat could feed a family for a week if you were careful. It would suck, mind you, but it could be done.
        Yep, and Corbin's example is a really good indication of how pre-packaged food is generally false economy.

My husband and I were single income for over twelve months when he first moved to Aus, because he wasn't allowed to work until the spouse visa was approved. I made $700 a week, rent came out fortnightly ($540) on the same week the car payment came out. On a rent week we were lucky to have $50 in the bank. Amongst everything else we managed on about $100-$150 on groceries a fortnight, and ate WELL on that, because we were smart about what we bought. Now we eat like kings, and still spend less than $200 a fortnight.

Right now, I'm tossing up whether I have fish and boiled veg for dinner (alas, no steamer in the hotel apartment) or whether I cave and have peanut butter on toast.

I forget to get the lamb chops out of the freezer this morning before I left for the hospital

Comment

People think they're getting a bargain on the McDonald's "dollar menu". Yeah, OK, so a parent with 2 kids goes. There's $3. on the sandwiches, and add for soda, milk, etc., etc. and OF COURSE it would have been cheaper to eat at home.

I'm about to make scrambled eggs in a few minutes.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Just made blueberry pancakes for the kids...and a green smoothie for me.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Leftover baked salmon w/barbecue sauce, & a cuppa decaf coffee.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

pepperoni-pizza.jpg

because no one saw this answer coming, right?
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Hot ham and cheese on wheat.

x2

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                    Hot ham and cheese on wheat.

x2
                    When Americans say 'on wheat', what do they actually mean? Bread obviously, but white bread or brown/wholemeal bread?

Sometimes the English language is very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      When Americans say 'on wheat', what do they actually mean? Bread obviously, but white bread or brown/wholemeal bread?

Sometimes the English language is very strange.
                      We mean not white bread, but whole wheat bread. Like this:

Comment

We call that wholemeal bread, or brown bread.

(I know a few people who call it cardboard. lol)

Personally I prefer wholegrain bread, which has whole grains and seeds in it. But do you think I can make hubby eat it?

Comment

Personally I prefer wholegrain bread, which has whole grains and seeds in it. But do you think I can make hubby eat it?
                          My hubby likes white bread best too, but I buy the whole grain when I can...though some of that is actually worse than white bread here, all full of crazy sugar and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                            My hubby likes white bread best too, but I buy the whole grain when I can...though some of that is actually worse than white bread here, all full of crazy sugar and stuff.
                            Bread in America was weird. Granted, I only ate bread in Louisiana, but it was... odd.

Comment

I didn't care for whole wheat bread til I found the 7 grains and honey version. Mmm... I haven't eaten white bread since...
                              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                              Tribe of my Tribe
                              Clan of my Clan
                              Kin of my Kin
                              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                                I didn't care for whole wheat bread til I found the 7 grains and honey version. Mmm... I haven't eaten white bread since...
                                It's the grains that bother hubby. I remember being a kid and thinking that 'grainy bread' was the worst thing ever... but tastes change lol.

I actually eat very little bread, because I produce too much insulin. So when I do eat bread I want to make sure that I'm going to enjoy it... otherwise it's just a wasted carb-fest that is going to ruin my day.

Comment

Working...
                                X