This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knitting

I'm a total obsessive knitter! Right now, I'm working on a lace stole for a friend of the family. The proudest thing I ever knitted was a pair of mittens for my mother. They came out so cute and I was painstaking with the work.

About continental knitting, that's my style, I do find it easier on the hands. Also, whoever said sqaure needles help, they do for me. If you struggle with wrist problems or hand issues I would recommend casein knitting needles. Casein is a product that comes fom milk. I know, it's weird...milk plastic.The needles made of casein are soft and stay warm in the hands unlike metal needles. They are really wonderful. I've gotten to work them a little but I don't own a pair yet. Everyone I know that uses them though says it saves their wrists and hands. Also, if wrist pains continue, switch to circular needles. The weight of the project rests on the cable and not the needles so it hurts less if you knit for long periods of time.

Comment

I just want to point out, for the knitters (they aren't free, sorry) some of the freaking awesome (that makes me want to knit) patterns avaliable here
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Here's a useful hint for anyone who uses a knitting machine but hasn't been able to afford a ribber.... knit the welts by hand first, then hook them onto the needles of the knitting machine. It takes time, but it gives the most amazing results. I used to work cables into the welts (like an Aran sweater) as well... I used to do this even with four ply wool.

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I LOVE knitting, right now working on a pair of socks. I have a rav account as well, Ladygarnetrose there too, only have 1 project up. Most of my knitting though is household items, washcloths, scrubbies, swifter pads that sort of thing. I'm finally getting back into making clothing though.

To add, I use Harmony Wood needles, usually circulars, I find they make it easier to knit sitting in the recliner no matter what I'm knitting.

Comment

Re: Sewing

Something new to try out...Dorset buttons!!
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=177.msg29170#msg29170 date=1295206275]
              [/quote]

Those are great for sitting around while watching tv, they are a mindless kind of craft that comes out absolutely gorgeous.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=177.msg29170#msg29170 date=1295206275]
                [/quote]

Oooo I love it!

Comment

If anyone knits well enough to do these, I will buy the yarn, the pattern and pay you. Seriously. I'm such a geek.

<---I just need to suck it up an learn to knit.
                  sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=207.msg29497#msg29497 date=1295384388]
                    If anyone knits well enough to do these, I will buy the yarn, the pattern and pay you. Seriously. I'm such a geek.

[/quote]

Those are very cool, I bookmarked them, I'd want to give it a go at the pattern before offering to do it for somebody else.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=207.msg29497#msg29497 date=1295384388]

[/quote]

Couldn't get the link to work.... what is it you want knitted?

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=207.msg29533#msg29533 date=1295392866]
                        Couldn't get the link to work.... what is it you want knitted?
                        [/quote]

I'm guessing you have to be a ravelry member to see their pattern sites...but they are a pair of cabled socks where the cables look like DNA, and the DNA denatures (splits) at the heel, with one half of the strand traveling up the foot.

I should really just learn to knit one of these days, and then I can stop moping about all the great knit patterns that I have no chance of making ;D
                        sigpic

Comment

Cabling is really easy on socks because you are working on four pins already.... now there's a bit of Wenglish for you! I was always brought up to call knitting needles 'pins' rather than needles, and the welts were 'bands'.... I wish I could see better, Thal, I would offer to knit them for you myself.

With socks you're best off starting with a plain pattern... make sure there's nylon in the yarn mix for strength. And - this is a tip that holds good for all knitting - when you knit the first row after casting on, always knit into the back of the stitch and not the front, it makes a neater edge.

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=207.msg31074#msg31074 date=1296217609]
                            Cabling is really easy on socks because you are working on four pins already.... now there's a bit of Wenglish for you! I was always brought up to call knitting needles 'pins' rather than needles, and the welts were 'bands'
                            [/quote]

lol...that reminds me that I learned that over there a tank top is what we would call a sweater vest last night on ravelry!
                            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=207.msg31079#msg31079 date=1296219549]
                              lol...that reminds me that I learned that over there a tank top is what we would call a sweater vest last night on ravelry!
                              [/quote]

Another name for a tank top in my part of the world was a 'Bertie Bassett' - not sure why, but possibly it has something to do with liquorice allsorts!

Comment

I tried to knit once, and failed. I kept getting confused. I was trying to learn from a book that was designed for teens and young adults. So far it is the best knitting book I can find on teaching yourself to knit. Maybe I'm just not cut out for knitting with needles....or I should go to youtube and look for video lessons. I'd really love to give it another go. I have a child's knitting machine that I bought to play with before spending big bucks on a real one. I like what it can do even though I have to watch it very carefully for it will mess up as it is only meant for kids anyway. Other than that I can do simple stuff on knitting looms. I find them very easy. I've seen books where they make some very complicated stuff on them, but I'm yet to try it from the one book I did purchase on loom knitting.

Comment

Working...
                                X