Make-up! and all things beauty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make-up! and all things beauty!

Matte lipsticks work best not to bleed. People apply way too much lipstick in one fell swoop. You have to lip primer. Lip line. Apply light coat of lipstick. Blot blot blot. Another coat. Blot etc. Doing this allows the lipstick to stick to the mouth and not slide off. Over moisturized lipstick just slides all over the place.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

1. Do I add lip primer to my whole lip, or just the areas I want the apply color to?

2. Lip liner terrifies me, I don't wanna look like a chollo. Any tips for applying liner?
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
        1. Do I add lip primer to my whole lip, or just the areas I want the apply color to?

2. Lip liner terrifies me, I don't wanna look like a chollo. Any tips for applying liner?
        1. Yes, and even a little bit outside of your lips. You wanna fill in the cracks! Imagine you have really chapped lips, and you just wanna soften the bastards.

2. Lip liner. Pencil liner. Same shade, or as close as possible. Sharpen. Fill in your lips the shape you want them with the lip liner first. Just like you would if it was lipstick. Then put on your lipstick, do the blot blot like Medusa said. Then if anything is uneven, touch up with lip liner. Ta da!

Mostly art.

Comment

The trick to lip liner is to use it as a base, not an outline.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Lip liner and eye liner are on 2 different planets. Lip liner is to contain your lipstick, not necessarily to "outline" your lips like you would your eyes. Like Vol said, use lip liner in the same shade as your lipstick. Then use a lipstick brush if you can. You have the perfect face for makeup - experiment with colors and see what you like. And post pics here and see what WE like! I love lipstick, and the biggest mistake I've made was buying colors that are too light - where it doesn't look like I have lipstick on. Be bold and play.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post

Use a not very sharp liner close to your actual lip shade. It's not to say 'hi! I'm lip liner!'. It's just supposed to keep the lipstick inside the lines like a crayon. Also use the flat side and not the point to shade in the liner all over until you are comfy doing the liner point. Then layer a thin layer of lipstick over.

EDIT TO ADD. An older pic from last year. I have lip liner and lipstick. Looks totally natural. Just there to keep the lipstick from moving.
              IMG178.jpg

Comment

I don't necessarily want to start a new thread for this, but I've been doing a lot of reading about the "no poo" hair washing method. Basically, you stop using shampoo because it strips your hair's natural oils and forces your body to create more oil to make up for it (because harsh chemicals and all that); and after awhile your hair recalibrates to make enough oil, but not too much, for your hair to remain healthy.

So you go longer between showers, your hair doesn't get as greasy, you use a tiny bit of baking soda dissolved in water to wash your scalp (or another method of cleansing), and vinegar or apple cider vinegar as a conditioner. That's the most basic method, there are variations and different "treatments" regarding moisturizing, hair dyeing, etc...

There is a transition period which isn't so pretty for roughly the first month, but after that it's supposed to even out.

So my question is, has anyone tried this before or heard of it? Thoughts?

Comment

lol girl. You opened up a can of greasy worms. I do believe quite a few gals here tried it out and it was a no go. I always read about it. But for me? I'm in Southern Cali who bikes daily with very long hair. I actually don't want my hair daily. But I'm not giving up my Garnier shampoo!

Comment

Haha, thanks for responding.

I'm not even entirely sure what piqued my interest with this one, since my hair tends to behave pretty well.

Comment

I'm sure there is a thread here about it actually. I think some of the women did some experimenting if If I'm not mistaken.

Anywho..I'm going to buy some coconut oil and go go town. I heard great things about all over body applications. Diabetics have horrid dry skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        I'm sure there is a thread here about it actually. I think some of the women did some experimenting if If I'm not mistaken.
                        YES.. there was. I've just spent the last 20 minutes or so trying to find it (including reading through this thread again in case it was in here). I'm sure I just can't see for looking, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I have a question actually..

So, due to my pale complexion I have to wear sun block in the summer (factor 50; although I'll sometimes put off applying to my arms for 10 minutes for the vitamin D, I won't even go outside to the bins without it on my face). However, in the winter I just settle for a foundation with an SPF (currently 25). I recently read that the spf in foundations isn't enough because you'd need to trowel it on before it gave you the equivalent protection it claims. So I got into a bit of a panic about the damage I might have done to my skin on those bright winter mornings, or rather, those few I saw this year saying as I've worked so much).

I was talking to a friend about this and said I'll start wearing sun cream under my makeup in the winter, and block in the summer. Then she told me that the lady at the Clinique counter told her that only the last product you put on your face matters. So if you have, say, factor 30 lotion on, and then apply a factor 15 foundation on top of that, your protection will only be factor 15.

This seems illogical, but now I'm worried. Has anyone else heard of this? I'd google it for myself but I'm a bit shy of online health and beauty articles because so many are just attached to advertising sites. My partner applied for a full-time job writing 'articles' for such sites; the articles are mainly just hooks to attract visitors to see the adverts that even ad-blocker can't always avoid. It's made me distrustful of online articles. Do you think this clinique lady was just trying to push a factor 30 finishing powder or something?
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          YES.. there was. I've just spent the last 20 minutes or so trying to find it (including reading through this thread again in case it was in here). I'm sure I just can't see for looking, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.
                          Pretty sure it was pre-crash.

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                          I don't necessarily want to start a new thread for this, but I've been doing a lot of reading about the "no poo" hair washing method. Basically, you stop using shampoo because it strips your hair's natural oils and forces your body to create more oil to make up for it (because harsh chemicals and all that); and after awhile your hair recalibrates to make enough oil, but not too much, for your hair to remain healthy.

So you go longer between showers, your hair doesn't get as greasy, you use a tiny bit of baking soda dissolved in water to wash your scalp (or another method of cleansing), and vinegar or apple cider vinegar as a conditioner. That's the most basic method, there are variations and different "treatments" regarding moisturizing, hair dyeing, etc...

There is a transition period which isn't so pretty for roughly the first month, but after that it's supposed to even out.

So my question is, has anyone tried this before or heard of it? Thoughts?

Strict no poo (water only) does not work, in my experience. Maybe for someone that doesn't sweat ever.

But yes, shampoo alternatives do work. I still use them, but I also wash my hair with actual shampoo and conditioner about once a month because the baking soda and vinegar cause their own build up over that time. Also because I use LUSH bar shampoo and conditioner and they are expensive. And because I like having soapy hair once in a while (and since I like to do a nice oil treatment once in a while, its a necessity--otherwise my hair looks icky for 3-4 days).

Its an older post, (my routine has changed a bit) but here's the basic low down on when I was only using baking soda and ACV (and honey).

Also...I've not tried this, but flax seed hair gel and (this one I do) sea salt hair spray...and I have a short post on herbs and hair.

I have a question actually..

So, due to my pale complexion I have to wear sun block in the summer (factor 50; although I'll sometimes put off applying to my arms for 10 minutes for the vitamin D, I won't even go outside to the bins without it on my face). However, in the winter I just settle for a foundation with an SPF (currently 25). I recently read that the spf in foundations isn't enough because you'd need to trowel it on before it gave you the equivalent protection it claims. So I got into a bit of a panic about the damage I might have done to my skin on those bright winter mornings, or rather, those few I saw this year saying as I've worked so much).

I was talking to a friend about this and said I'll start wearing sun cream under my makeup in the winter, and block in the summer. Then she told me that the lady at the Clinique counter told her that only the last product you put on your face matters. So if you have, say, factor 30 lotion on, and then apply a factor 15 foundation on top of that, your protection will only be factor 15.

This seems illogical, but now I'm worried. Has anyone else heard of this? I'd google it for myself but I'm a bit shy of online health and beauty articles because so many are just attached to advertising sites. My partner applied for a full-time job writing 'articles' for such sites; the articles are mainly just hooks to attract visitors to see the adverts that even ad-blocker can't always avoid. It's made me distrustful of online articles. Do you think this clinique lady was just trying to push a factor 30 finishing powder or something?
                          I think its more than possibly BS...I've heard a lot of BS from cosmetic counter peeps.

My dermatologist (I see her because I have vitiligo, I'm contemplating treatment for it, depending on insurance coverage) tells her patients to use an SPF 15 or better moisturizer and foundation with UVA protection. She told me (because of my vitiligo, a family history of melanoma, and the amount of time spent outside for work and play) to look for "a 30 or 35 non-comedogenic sunscreen" (when I told her I usually don't do make up). Her rationale is that (unless you let the moisturizer "set" and absorb completely, when you put the foundation on, you are just sort of shoving it around. If you put both on with an SPF you are okay to assume total coverage (if you reapply every hour and use the right amount--which is 2-4 times more than what most people use). Then put your make up over it. She doesn't recommend SPF powders on the basis of poor scientific evidence (bummer to me) and apparently the FDA has banned sunscreen powders anyhow (not sure how that affects makeup products here, since I still see them).

She also says (and I felt oh-so validated here, since I've been saying so for a while) that there's no point to anything above a 35 for most people. Unless you have a job or hobby where you are outside more than 5 hours in the sun, 35 is more than enough protection. And if you spend longer than that in the sun (or are in the sun during peak hours), you should invest in sun protective clothing. SPF tells you "how long in the sun until you burn" based on the assumption an average sunburn on unprotected skin starts at 10 minutes. Basically, a SPF of 35 means 10x35=350 minutes in the sun before burning (you still have to reapply) because it blocks 97% of UVB. SPF 50 only blocks something like 98% (theoretically 500 minutes in the sun but you still have to reapply). Also there is no rating measure of UVA blocking effectiveness.

I'm guessing (if they work) the finishing powder would be easier to reapply than moisturizer and foundation ever hour for proper sun protection...but then again, I don't wear make up when I'm outside (honestly maybe wear make up once a month), so its not something on my radar. Also, those finishing powders tent to look awful with flash photography---it reflects funny.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

Anywho..I'm going to buy some coconut oil and go go town. I heard great things about all over body applications. Diabetics have horrid dry skin.
                            I've heard that about coconut oil too, including that for some people it's a must-have if they go no-poo.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            Pretty sure it was pre-crash.

Strict no poo (water only) does not work, in my experience. Maybe for someone that doesn't sweat ever.

But yes, shampoo alternatives do work. I still use them, but I also wash my hair with actual shampoo and conditioner about once a month because the baking soda and vinegar cause their own build up over that time. Also because I use LUSH bar shampoo and conditioner and they are expensive. And because I like having soapy hair once in a while (and since I like to do a nice oil treatment once in a while, its a necessity--otherwise my hair looks icky for 3-4 days).

Its an older post, (my routine has changed a bit) but here's the basic low down on when I was only using baking soda and ACV (and honey).

Also...I've not tried this, but flax seed hair gel and (this one I do) sea salt hair spray...and I have a short post on herbs and hair.
                            Thanks! I did a forum search for no shampoo/no poo but nothing turned up (which I was surprised about, but pre-crash makes sense). It's nice to hear a "real person's" experience and routine. At least if I decide to try this out and it doesn't work, I have some tried alternatives to look into.

You have a really helpful blog, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

I think its more than possibly BS...I've heard a lot of BS from cosmetic counter peeps.

My dermatologist (I see her because I have vitiligo, I'm contemplating treatment for it, depending on insurance coverage) tells her patients to use an SPF 15 or better moisturizer and foundation with UVA protection. She told me (because of my vitiligo, a family history of melanoma, and the amount of time spent outside for work and play) to look for "a 30 or 35 non-comedogenic sunscreen" (when I told her I usually don't do make up). Her rationale is that (unless you let the moisturizer "set" and absorb completely, when you put the foundation on, you are just sort of shoving it around. If you put both on with an SPF you are okay to assume total coverage (if you reapply every hour and use the right amount--which is 2-4 times more than what most people use). Then put your make up over it. She doesn't recommend SPF powders on the basis of poor scientific evidence (bummer to me) and apparently the FDA has banned sunscreen powders anyhow (not sure how that affects makeup products here, since I still see them).

She also says (and I felt oh-so validated here, since I've been saying so for a while) that there's no point to anything above a 35 for most people. Unless you have a job or hobby where you are outside more than 5 hours in the sun, 35 is more than enough protection. And if you spend longer than that in the sun (or are in the sun during peak hours), you should invest in sun protective clothing. SPF tells you "how long in the sun until you burn" based on the assumption an average sunburn on unprotected skin starts at 10 minutes. Basically, a SPF of 35 means 10x35=350 minutes in the sun before burning (you still have to reapply) because it blocks 97% of UVB. SPF 50 only blocks something like 98% (theoretically 500 minutes in the sun but you still have to reapply). Also there is no rating measure of UVA blocking effectiveness.

I'm guessing (if they work) the finishing powder would be easier to reapply than moisturizer and foundation ever hour for proper sun protection...but then again, I don't wear make up when I'm outside (honestly maybe wear make up once a month), so its not something on my radar. Also, those finishing powders tent to look awful with flash photography---it reflects funny.
                              Hmm.. so when you say I get 350 minutes in the sun, is that until I have zero protection, or until my protection is depleted?

You see, I'd gladly switch to a lower factor because there's much more choice and the one I use is very heavy, but the problem is that I can't reapply once my make-up is done.. I'd have to wash and start again, abd I need the protection to last until the following morning if I'm at work. I wait 10-20 minutes after applying my bio-oil (which I do immediately after washing my face), before I apply my sunscreen, and then wait another 20-30 minutes after that, before I put on my makeup. So it's not something I can quickly do while at work. I usually apply at 9pm. Then it will be 8am the following morning before I'm heading home in the sun. From mid-spring to autumn, it is bright at that time and I have to walk east to get home, so the sun is right in my face. There isn't even a shadowy side of the road I can walk on. The walk is only 7-9 minutes, but I can almost feel the sun starting to burn in that time, and if I've been caught short and had nothing on my face, the end of my nose will start turning red, even after that short a time!

So the factor 50 is like a safeguard in the hopes that there would be at least a little protection by then.

Another option would be to start using a parasol, but literally no one uses those in the North of England, so I'm a bit shy of the looks I'd get.
                              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I read about "no-poo", etc., a while back. When I was a teenager we had "Psssssst" dry shampoo in a can. Nothing like that will work on me, though it may on some people. I have fine, straight, oily hair. If I skip a day of washing it, when I comb it the next morning, you can see the comb marks. My chest and upper back are also oily and if I skip showering my shirt will stick. Even without getting sweaty.

Sunscreen - I spent my teens and early 20's getting tan, then flip-flopped into lots of sunscreen and staying white all summer for a few decades. Now I'm out tanning as early as I can. It makes me happy!
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X