No announcement yet.

Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Cool!! I'm so excited about that! Okay, what I'll do then, is pop over here and let you know when things have kicked off or new posts made, maybe with a tempting teaser to spark you interest even more!

Also, we should start a thread for discussing paganism in Japanese. I wonder if we should check with the staff how they'd like us to do it and where? It would be very rude to have a private conversation between ourselves in a language that most members can't read, but I'd be worried that if we started such a thread on the other forum, some members might be offended. I've mentioned in passing that I am pagan, and Abby, who's a church going Christian, wasn't in the slightest bit offended, but my study-buddy, who I was meeting on skype to do speaking practice with, suddenly vanished altogether and I'm a little anxious that this is why.

Maybe we could make it bi-lingual so that people can join in with English only, if we say something that interests them, or do it in blogs which would keep it off the main forum. I've never, ever attempted to discuss paganism in a meaningful way in Japanese. I've literally explained roughly what I believe and then quickly moved onto a safer topic.

Anyway, I'm going to be skanning in the first page for the reading task tonight or tomorrow night. The book is 'Bizan', by Masada Mashi, in case you want to look into it before we start. I'll let you know as soon as the thread is started!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a moment! I've never checked the kanji on the title of this and just assumed that first word was 'とうじょう', because of the '上'. I've only ever heard this word, so haven't seen written. Rikaikun caught it as I ran over with my curser just now and I see that it's actually read さんじょう. I've never come across the word 参上. I see it means 'visiting or calling on' according to rikaikun. So, is this an alternative word for 登場? Yeah, I looked up the proper writing and it doesn't even use 上! This is exactly why I shouldn't guess at words, although I do this far too often. I knew 参 from 参加, so could have guessed it was read 'san' but this is the ONLY word I can read that uses this kanji, so I guessed maybe it had other readings. ^^ Oh dear, this reading task is going to be interesting then isn't it? Haha..
    I myself am not certain if 参上 and 登場 are related. I will ask though. I do know that the fancier the dialog, the more kanji you're likely to see. For instance, in normal conversation, you will see aru written as ある、though in the patent docs I have translated, it has also been written as 有る or something equivalent to that, and sometimes you see a ridiculously long string of kanji, to the point that you start wondering if it's in Chinese lol. I do like your idea of having a bilingual thread talking about paganism on here. We might be surprised at the number of people showing up to participate (I knew I was absolutely FLOORED when you told me you did Japanese!). I am also looking forward to the Bizan translation thing, which I might look up soon, too.

Comment

Hello new friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Simatong View Post
        I myself am not certain if 参上 and 登場 are related. I will ask though. I do know that the fancier the dialog, the more kanji you're likely to see. For instance, in normal conversation, you will see aru written as ある、though in the patent docs I have translated, it has also been written as 有る or something equivalent to that, and sometimes you see a ridiculously long string of kanji, to the point that you start wondering if it's in Chinese lol. I do like your idea of having a bilingual thread talking about paganism on here. We might be surprised at the number of people showing up to participate (I knew I was absolutely FLOORED when you told me you did Japanese!). I am also looking forward to the Bizan translation thing, which I might look up soon, too.
        Which would be a huge problem for me! I need a nice mix of kana and kanji to keep my place, otherwise I get lost very quickly. It would also be so hard for me if there are too many non jouyou kanji. Heck, I don't even know a third of those that ARE jouyou kanji. I can only imagine how many kanji you must know, to be able to read Chinese too! My head spins just thinking about it! Lol
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Hey Simatong!

So, the threads have begun! I'm soo psyched for this. We decided to go for 2 threads, as there was just so much material we want to cover.

Bokusenou is taking control of the advanced thread and has started us off with a fantasy novel about dragon riders;

I started an intermediate thread with the manga strips from the book I study kanji from (yeah, it's 2nd grade, because I had been studying them out of order, so there are still a lot of lower grade kanji I don't know! ^^) but this book is aimed at native Japanese speakers so isn't actually using intermediate grammar and vocabulary. I definitely wouldn't call it intermediate. So now I'm thinking of suggesting that we change the titles and just have lots of threads all translating different things at once. Anyway, the 'intermediate' thread is..

wish I'd started this ages ago. I've been working through this book alone since I received it back in (I think) June. I'm only 5 chapters in (although there are kanji breakdown panels at the end of each strip, with additonal vocab and example sentences to decipher, and I won't move on until I've had time to study the vocabulary from the previous chapter. Working with others like this will be so much better than relying on my own understanding of the dialogues, and lets others enjoy the benefits of learning from such an awesome resource!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Hey Simatong!

So, the threads have begun! I'm soo psyched for this. We decided to go for 2 threads, as there was just so much material we want to cover.

Bokusenou is taking control of the advanced thread and has started us off with a fantasy novel about dragon riders;

I started an intermediate thread with the manga strips from the book I study kanji from (yeah, it's 2nd grade, because I had been studying them out of order, so there are still a lot of lower grade kanji I don't know! ^^) but this book is aimed at native Japanese speakers so isn't actually using intermediate grammar and vocabulary. I definitely wouldn't call it intermediate. So now I'm thinking of suggesting that we change the titles and just have lots of threads all translating different things at once. Anyway, the 'intermediate' thread is..

wish I'd started this ages ago. I've been working through this book alone since I received it back in (I think) June. I'm only 5 chapters in (although there are kanji breakdown panels at the end of each strip, with additonal vocab and example sentences to decipher, and I won't move on until I've had time to study the vocabulary from the previous chapter. Working with others like this will be so much better than relying on my own understanding of the dialogues, and lets others enjoy the benefits of learning from such an awesome resource!
            Thank you for informing me. Sorry for the way late reply. My mind has been elsewhere of late. I am looking through some of them now, but will definitely give my input when I wake up (I am guessing you might hear something from me around 9pm or so, my time...depending on when I finish with my translations.)

Comment

Originally posted by Simatong View Post
              Thank you for informing me. Sorry for the way late reply. My mind has been elsewhere of late. I am looking through some of them now, but will definitely give my input when I wake up (I am guessing you might hear something from me around 9pm or so, my time...depending on when I finish with my translations.)
              There's no hurry. I've been mad-crazy with work myself these last few days, so I haven't been contributing much. I haven't even uploaded the next images for the Chibimarukochan thread. I just took the last panel and left it. Mind you, it was getting a bit lonely with only myself and Bokusenou translating. These threads are great for me, because I feel like I'm taking my Japanese to the next level, without having to spend hours studying anymore. Switching from studying Japanese to just using Japanese, has already been so refreshing. I'm really making the most of the free time it has bought me!

Oh yeah, I hope you weren't offended by my reply in the Japanese-only section. I was just teasing!

Comment

There's no hurry. I've been mad-crazy with work myself these last few days, so I haven't been contributing much. I haven't even uploaded the next images for the Chibimarukochan thread. I just took the last panel and left it. Mind you, it was getting a bit lonely with only myself and Bokusenou translating. These threads are great for me, because I feel like I'm taking my Japanese to the next level, without having to spend hours studying anymore. Switching from studying Japanese to just using Japanese, has already been so refreshing. I'm really making the most of the free time it has bought me!

Oh yeah, I hope you weren't offended by my reply in the Japanese-only section. I was just teasing!
                大丈夫よ!コメントを見てぜんぜん怒らなかった。実際、今日は翻訳したかったけど、友達とあいたから、翻訳 でできなかった。友情っていいことだけど、仕事があるときには友達と何かするのに時間がかかって、仕事がで きなくなるだろうねww
                No problem at all! I read the comments and wasn't angry in the least. Actually, I was going to translate today, but I met with friends, and so therefore didn't. Friendship is a beautiful thing, but when you have work and are hanging with pals, you get to where you can't work. LOL.

Comment

なるほど!じゃ、あたしがどうして最近めったに翻訳トピックに参加しないかなんか言い訳がない。ただ、仕事 は大変忙しかったの。色々な変化がなので三人新人が教育してるうちに外の一員が産業しなきゃならないの。大 変だけど、今月の給料は高くなってうれしい!あのコメントは図々しすぎなかってよかった!あたし、馴れ馴れ しめ傾向なんだ。。。 

今日か明日、日本語で(当然英訳が付けられたも)宗教について話すようトピックを始めようと思っている。始 めたら、ここでリンクしてあげるよ!シマトンくんはそんなにアイティー音痴なので!^^

I see! Well, I don't really have an excuse for why I haven't been joining in with the translation threads much lately. I guess just because work has been so busy. There have been a lot of changes and until the new staff have been trained the rest of the staff have to do overtime. It's tough, but this months wages will be higher, so I'm happy! I'm glad that comment wasn't too cheeky. I have a tendency to be a bit too familiar...

I'm thinking about starting a thread, either today or tomorrow, for discussing religion in Japanese (with English translation of course). If I do, I'll link it here, you being such a techno-noob and all ^^

Comment

I'm wanting to learn Japanese. How did you learn?
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

シマトン君!ちょっとずうずうしいんだろうが、お願いがあるんだけど。。。 

このホームページご読めるの?中国語なので、読むことができない、あたし。でも、誰かメッセージを書くと画 面の上でテクストが出てくて、動画が動くなくなってしまうの。大変迷惑だから、何かテクストを消し方がある んでしょう?お・ね・が・いいいいい~ 

Simatong, this is a bit cheeky, but.. can you read this site? I can't because it's Chinese, but whenever someone writes a message, the text appears on the screen causing it to freeze. It's so annoying, so is there any way to turn off the text? Pleaaaaaaaaaase~

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                      I'm wanting to learn Japanese. How did you learn?
                      Simatong studied at uni and I taught myself. It took a long time, but it is possible to learn Japanese on your own if you really, really want it. There are a lot of changes at the moment because we're moving forums, but I'm admin on a forum aimed at people studying Japanese. I'll send you the link to the new forum when it's up and running.

We used to have a Japanese learning thread here on this forum. Maybe Kijani (OP) could be persuaded to unlock it and pick up where it left off? It was mostly for reading and writing, but I always said I'd be willing to do a parallel thread that taught grammar, vocabulary and conversational Japanese. Now that we have Simatong too, between us, I'm sure we could keep such a thread updated, if there'd be enough interest in it.

Otherwise, I can point you towards some of the better free (and paid) online resources for self study if you want?

Comment

シマトン君!ちょっとずうずうしいんだろうが、お願いがあるんだけど。。。 

このホームページご読めるの?中国語なので、読むことができない、あたし。でも、誰かメッセージを書くと画 面の上でテクストが出てくて、動画が動くなくなってしまうの。大変迷惑だから、何かテクストを消し方がある んでしょう?お・ね・が・いいいいい~ 

Simatong, this is a bit cheeky, but.. can you read this site? I can't because it's Chinese, but whenever someone writes a message, the text appears on the screen causing it to freeze. It's so annoying, so is there any way to turn off the text? Pleaaaaaaaaaase~

Simatong studied at uni and I taught myself. It took a long time, but it is possible to learn Japanese on your own if you really, really want it. There are a lot of changes at the moment because we're moving forums, but I'm admin on a forum aimed at people studying Japanese. I'll send you the link to the new forum when it's up and running.

We used to have a Japanese learning thread here on this forum. Maybe Kijani (OP) could be persuaded to unlock it and pick up where it left off? It was mostly for reading and writing, but I always said I'd be willing to do a parallel thread that taught grammar, vocabulary and conversational Japanese. Now that we have Simatong too, between us, I'm sure we could keep such a thread updated, if there'd be enough interest in it.

Otherwise, I can point you towards some of the better free (and paid) online resources for self study if you want?
                        Thanks. I appreciate it very much.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Ah, I just realised I linked the Japanese page.. well, that's because I only use this site to watch Japanese TV. Obviously, you'd need to get to the home page to find the settings. I just came over because JP was getting angry with the site. He wanted to watch the live stream of the new Pokemon series and almost as soon as it started, entire walls of text in Chinese, presumably from kids and nerds, blocked the screen and caused everything to freeze. it happens ALL the time: people start chatting about the show ruining the stream for everyone else, but this was worse than ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                          Thanks. I appreciate it very much.
                          Okay.. then the best place to start would be erin.ne.jp Set it to English for now because of course you won't have started learning to read and write yet. This teaches you Japanese with natural, native dialogues, and fun interactive games. It's very good and although it is beginners Japanese, I still pick up new words and things whenever I pop by. I sadly didn't know this existed so taught myself from textbooks at that stage, but I wish I'd used this site!

To learn to read, I recommend you try out lentil.com. This is a flashcard based online app that teaches you the basic writing systems hiragana and katakana that look like.. ひらがな (hiragana) and カタカナ (katakana) which are phonetic alphabets and then goes onto kanji, which are the ones that look like 漢字. These are Chinese characters.. there are thousands of these, but don't worry, they're not as bad as they first appear and you can communicate in Japanese without knowing them all. I was never interested in learning to read and write and only started to take them seriously about a year and a half ago, for the pure reason that I wanted to be able to communicate in Japanese over the internet and not just every other week when I meet face to face with natives.

Good luck. I love talking about Japanese, so don't be shy about coming to Simatong and me with any questions. There is a Japanese grammar thread in 'hobbies' too, so feel free to use that.

Comment

I am now a librarian, but I did a degree in English at university, before I went for a new degree in library and information sceince. :-) My native language is Norwegian.
                            My blog
                            On Instagram
                            On Witches' Voice

Comment

Ah, I just realised I linked the Japanese page.. well, that's because I only use this site to watch Japanese TV. Obviously, you'd need to get to the home page to find the settings. I just came over because JP was getting angry with the site. He wanted to watch the live stream of the new Pokemon series and almost as soon as it started, entire walls of text in Chinese, presumably from kids and nerds, blocked the screen and caused everything to freeze. it happens ALL the time: people start chatting about the show ruining the stream for everyone else, but this was worse than ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay.. then the best place to start would be erin.ne.jp Set it to English for now because of course you won't have started learning to read and write yet. This teaches you Japanese with natural, native dialogues, and fun interactive games. It's very good and although it is beginners Japanese, I still pick up new words and things whenever I pop by. I sadly didn't know this existed so taught myself from textbooks at that stage, but I wish I'd used this site!

To learn to read, I recommend you try out lentil.com. This is a flashcard based online app that teaches you the basic writing systems hiragana and katakana that look like.. ひらがな (hiragana) and カタカナ (katakana) which are phonetic alphabets and then goes onto kanji, which are the ones that look like 漢字. These are Chinese characters.. there are thousands of these, but don't worry, they're not as bad as they first appear and you can communicate in Japanese without knowing them all. I was never interested in learning to read and write and only started to take them seriously about a year and a half ago, for the pure reason that I wanted to be able to communicate in Japanese over the internet and not just every other week when I meet face to face with natives.

Good luck. I love talking about Japanese, so don't be shy about coming to Simatong and me with any questions. There is a Japanese grammar thread in 'hobbies' too, so feel free to use that.
                              Thanks much for the help. I appreciate it.
                              Anubisa

Comment

No problem. I realise that the explanations on erin.ne.jp might be a bit tricky to follow until you can read kana. I don't know why everything else gives you the option of selecting romaji (Japanese written with English letters), but in both the animation and the written explanations, everything is in kana. That's a bit of a shame for absolute beginners. Luckily, you can learn kana in a matter of days if you really want to. It took me about 2 weeks to learn both hiragana and katakana (although it was quite a bit longer before I stopped mixing up similar looking characters), and that was particularly slow. My partner, JP taught himself kana so he could read yugioh cards and he spent less than a day on it! He's unnaturally talented with languages though. He just soaks it up without studying. The jerk! ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X