• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lego

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
    That kid is going to go NUTS.

Comment

So.. I gave JP his lego star wars advent calendar tonight. It's better than I realised: has a little fold down display mat to stand the models on as you collect them. I'm gutted too though, because I missed out on a lego bargain. While we don't really do 'black Friday' here, some stores copy the states and have special deals for black Friday too. Argos had a 600+ piece bucket for £10, but it sold out before I could order it. It's still not bad at full price (£19.99), so I think I'll still order one once they're back in stock.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        So.. I gave JP his lego star wars advent calendar tonight. It's better than I realised: has a little fold down display mat to stand the models on as you collect them. I'm gutted too though, because I missed out on a lego bargain. While we don't really do 'black Friday' here, some stores copy the states and have special deals for black Friday too. Argos had a 600+ piece bucket for £10, but it sold out before I could order it. It's still not bad at full price (£19.99), so I think I'll still order one once they're back in stock.
        Sweet!

I like the Star Wars advent calendars... although I've never bought one. I keep meaning to, but never do.
        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Model designed.
          Parts acquired and sorted.
          Instructions finalized.
          Packaging complete.

Now to wait, and see the reaction.

Comment

Sweet!

I like the Star Wars advent calendars... although I've never bought one. I keep meaning to, but never do.
            I got JP's back in May, so it's actually the 2012 version. Not that it makes any difference once you open it up. We took the tray out by mistake, because we couldn't work out how to open it. The tray was put back in upside down so the assembly instructions on the doors are for the wrong model now. JP said he prefers it this way though, so we've left it as it is. Today, he got a little R2 (or maybe R4?) wearing a top hat! I think it's meant to look like a snowman.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              I got JP's back in May, so it's actually the 2012 version. Not that it makes any difference once you open it up. We took the tray out by mistake, because we couldn't work out how to open it. The tray was put back in upside down so the assembly instructions on the doors are for the wrong model now. JP said he prefers it this way though, so we've left it as it is. Today, he got a little R2 (or maybe R4?) wearing a top hat! I think it's meant to look like a snowman.
              awesome.

/10char

Comment

200,000 piece Rivendell

Last we heard from Alice Finch she had brought a more-or-less exact replica of Hogwarts to Emerald City Comicon. Now she's back with an insane 10-foot-by-5-foot, 200,000-piece replica of Rivendell.
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                Tribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                  Saw that earlier today... Alice Finch is awesome!

When I grow up, I hope to be as awesome as she is.

Comment

I've been debating whether to post this here or "Things that make you smile."

On Christmas day, when he opened the gift, he was absolutely stoked... later that day, we commandeered the kitchen table, and I sat with him, and provided a little help as he built the model... it was AWESOME! It challenged him, and resulted in something that he was very proud of.

In hind sight, I am glad that I was there, my instructions ended up being a little less clear (to a 10 year old) than I intended... but overall, other than a couple steps, he was able to figure it out. I am incredibly proud... and, just because of the experience, even though it is a simplified design, that truck has become my favorite... other than the crane...I love my little crane.

Comment

Ya know what would be awesome? Lego Kings Landing, or Lego The Wall, or any other place in Westeros/Essos
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Look what I built.

Not my original design... It is based on this one, made by a guy known as Miro78

Comment

The other day I got fed up with not having Legos anymore (and after seeing the Lego Movie twice), and bought the Legends of Chima set "Scorm's Scorpion Stinger. Took two hours to build it, with a lot of time being nostalgic head-giggling.

scorpionstinger.jpg

I like it, and it reminds me of the first big Lego set I got which was an Insectoids series Planetary Prowler. I'm tracking one down to reclaim it, as well as the Life on Mars series.

(Large file so only linking). In my original set, one of the hands broke on the android guy, so I added it to my canon that he only had the one hand. Of course then down the road, another guy lost his head, so I added to the canon that the android was able to become a cyborg and regain a hand.:XD laugh: I miss my old Legos...had a wicked Bionicle collection too. Hunting those down on Ebay and Craigslist.

Comment

Welcome back to LEGO!
                            It is an addiction.

Originally posted by Hekla View Post
                            I like it, and it reminds me of the first big Lego set I got which was an Insectoids series Planetary Prowler. I'm tracking one down to reclaim it, as well as the Life on Mars series.
                            Planetary Prowler
                            Life on Mars Series

BrickLink is my friend.

Comment

BrickLink is my friend.
                              Goodbye, money that isn't already allotted or spent on important things.:dummy:

Comment

Originally posted by Hekla View Post
                                Goodbye, money that isn't already allotted or spent on important things.:dummy:
                                My only complaint about lego is the cost. I realise the cost of plastic is rising steeply with the cost of oil, but it still doesn't seem justified. Also.. why can't you buy the old style trees now? The kind you got in the 80s and 90s in those big plastic buckets you could get. I looked everywhere, and the closest I got was seeing a set that had ONE tree.

My boyfriend hates that it's so hard to buy just an assortment of bricks (although argos do a bucket). He remembers a more innocent time when kids were assumed to have imagination, rather than be shown what to build brick by brick.

I guess that's why I like Minecraft so much. I can use as many bricks as I want and only had to pay once to buy the game. Still, as amazing as minecraft is, there's nothing like having a real 3D model you can hold in your hands.

Oh and as it's already been mentioned.. the lego movie is AMAZING! I only went once, but I can totally understand why someone would go twice!

Comment

Working...
                                X