What do you collect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you collect?

I don't do a lot of collecting, mainly because I am sort of a minimalist; however, I do love to collect tea cups and matching saucers.

Comment

I collect elements of the periodic table. At the moment, I own sulfur (S), germanium (Ge), copper (Cu), manganese (Mn), selenium (Se), tellurium (Te), bromine (Br), carbon (C), gallium (Ga), tungsten (W), and yttrium (Y).

Comment

Originally posted by LearningMan View Post
        I collect elements of the periodic table. At the moment, I own sulfur (S), germanium (Ge), copper (Cu), manganese (Mn), selenium (Se), tellurium (Te), bromine (Br), carbon (C), gallium (Ga), tungsten (W), and yttrium (Y).
        I've considered doing that... Not sure what to do about the radio-active elements, and the man-made unstables though...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The only radioactive element I know of that can be safely collected is Uranium. The other radioactive elements need to be stored in lead. Unfortunately, one can never collect every element. I can provide you with a link to an element store if you want.

Comment

Thanks - I think I've been there, though.

It's a really cool (though nerdy) subject of collecting.

No insult intended - I embrace my inner nerdiness...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I just purchased my 4th microscope today....does that count for something?
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I just purchased my 4th microscope today....does that count for something?
                Holy spumoni!

I've been looking for a good microscope I could afford for ages!

I've have the cheepo "toy" microscopes, but I really, really want a decent quality microscope. Preferably one that I can take photos through...

If you want to sell one, let me know...

(I am Nerdius Maximus Totalius)

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Holy spumoni!

I've been looking for a good microscope I could afford for ages!

I've have the cheepo "toy" microscopes, but I really, really want a decent quality microscope. Preferably one that I can take photos through...

If you want to sell one, let me know...

(I am Nerdius Maximus Totalius)

Lol...if I find a good one, I'll send it to you. This is a lab quality, or maybe a really good student microscope--got it at a thrift store for $20.

I (we?) also have a 1850's reproduction, a student grade microscope, and a kids digital one.

I've gotten all of them except the reproduction* for under $20 at the various thrift stores around here.

*(I also have binoculars, a telescope, several magnifiers, their 200 gm balance, and some other things...plus I have a hankering for a sextant, an armillary, and and an astrolabe...which I guess is where you all find out how wacky I really am)
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Lol...if I find a good one, I'll send it to you. This is a lab quality, or maybe a really good student microscope--got it at a thrift store for $20.
                    God dammit!

You've made my loins pulse!

When some of our schools closed down there was an auction of stuff. I was outbid on all the microscopes by at least $100.

Other cool stuff was equally out of my cash-on-hand level...

I should head down to a college town and see what I can pick up. My daughter is at CMU. I forsee a family outing in the near future...

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      God dammit!

You've made my loins pulse!

When some of our schools closed down there was an auction of stuff. I was outbid on all the microscopes by at least $100.

Other cool stuff was equally out of my cash-on-hand level...

I should head down to a college town and see what I can pick up. My daughter is at CMU. I forsee a family outing in the near future...
                      I'm guessing this one likely came from a homeschooling military family or a teacher military family...people moving off load tons around here. I have about a dozen thrift stores within a 10 minute drive...and probably triple that within a 20 minute drive. I do a loop about once a month or so and shop til I drop. Today I got 3 pair of pants for work, Sharkbait's entire summer wardrobe, a dress and tshirt for Chickadee, a stack of books, and the microscope for $54.
                      sigpic

Comment

I collect miniature perfume bottles. A lot of mine are from Avon but they're beautiful or fun (I have one shaped like a lamp).

Comment

Collections:

* musical instruments is my hobby, so mostly that, about 30+ different kinds of instuments atm (mostly stringed instruments)
                          * home made items, such as blades/swords, clothing, hats, Idols,...etc

i had other collecting hobbies but they just died out as i grew older

Comment

Originally posted by Ahiram Hasdruba'al View Post
                            Collections:

* musical instruments is my hobby, so mostly that, about 30+ different kinds of instuments atm (mostly stringed instruments)
                            * home made items, such as blades/swords, clothing, hats, Idols,...etc

i had other collecting hobbies but they just died out as i grew older
                            Got any guitars? If so, make and models? I'm hovering around 7 guitars now, but I used to have around 14
                            "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                            And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                            They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                            The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                            - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I've been actively getting RID of all the various things that I, and my grandparents (who lived in this house before me), had collected over the years. It's not so much that I keep my surroundings spartan so much as that I don't like clutter. The few collections that I still have kept are:

Herbs - I've got about 50 or 60 different types of herbs for all sorts of purposes, from basic things like basil and cinnamon to other things like Solomon's seal and mistletoe powder. There was a time when my focus was on the usage of such for magical applications and for making what my wife calls "mojo bags", little charm pouches to help with sleep and the like.

Instruments - While still small, I have a number of bohrans, a harp, a guitar, a few whistles and recorders of various sizes, and an old harmonica that was my grandfather's.

Swords/Daggers - Like my instrument collection, it is small, but does include at least 15 or so different blades from all sorts of cultures.

Comment

I'm trying to get rid of stuff too- mostly things that never really had personal meaning to me. But whenever go walking, I'll still pick up glass bottles that are interesting shape size or color.Sometimes I wash them out, sometimes I don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X