X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

Originally posted by Stoph View Post
    Hey, just wanna share this on the topic of Isreal/Palestine. ive been wondering for years about the whole thing and this explained things very clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bxj1uvDXU
    I haven't watched the video, but I sure know one couldn't summarize the issue within one adequately. I'm sort of sorry to have stirred this; maybe I WILL make a thread. >.<

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
      I haven't watched the video, but I sure know one couldn't summarize the issue within one adequately. I'm sort of sorry to have stirred this; maybe I WILL make a thread. >.<
      It explains how things got to how they are now

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
        I really feel my paper was extremely biased against Muslims with the sources I had.
        And you still turned it in? Next time I'm asked to do a paper on Paganism I'm gonna say Pagans like to eat babies and punch kittens for the dark lord Because an internet website said so!

Now I'm sure during the last 1400 years there were lots of unjust rulers of Muslim countries. Heck, if you look at Syria, Tunisia, Egypt and a couple more countries today, their people are trying to revolt against those kind of rulers. However, you should make sure when talking about Islam that you find sources in the Qur'an or sayings of Muhammad, for example, to support your claim about the religion.

Let's see:
        Like they're not allowed to own horses, have to wear dark robes or colored badges, not allowed to mourn in the presence of a Muslim, not practice their religion in public, and a head tax to be paid.
        Really now? Not allowed to own horses? What about donkeys?
        You shouldn't have mentioned those things in your paper unless you are able to verify it by Muslim texts.

I will show you two texts regarding the issue of non Muslims in general, one by Muhammad, peace be upon him, himself, and another by Abu Bakr who ruled Muslims after him and was his best friend. I can go into more detail in another post if you want.

Muhammad said:

Also, this letter was sent from Abu Bakr to the Christians of Najran:

"This is a covenant from the Caliph of Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W.). Abu Bakr (R.A.A.) to the Christian inhabitants of Najran. Full protection is accorded from Allah and His Prophet (S.A.W.) to the Christian inhabitants of Najran regarding their life, land, nationhood, property and wealth, even to those who are residing as their dependants in the vicinity villages of Najran and to those living in Najran and outside the country, their priests, monks, churches, and everything whether great and small. They will neither be subject to military service nor will be treated harshly, nor their priests will be forced to relinquish their asceticism. This covenant is the reaffirmation and ratification of the original document executed by the Prophet of Allah (S.A.W.) with the people of Najran. Whatever is contained in the above document, Allah and His Messenger (S.A.W.) stand witness to it. It is incumbent upon the Christian inhabitants of Najran to fulfill their responsibilities with sincerity and truth."

I recently had to do a paper on the persecution of the Jewish people and naturally I came across a lot of stories about Arab persecution of Jews.
        A very interesting thing to learn is about is the Golden age of Islam and how Jews were treated back there.
        [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
          Also, you really rock for being so patient with me. Because, you know, I poked a potential beehive, and I actually thought you were going to deliberately ignore/block me for my insolence, which I would have also understood.

No, thank you for disagreeing with me while being able to talk to me in a nice and respectable way! I won't discuss this topic further, unless it should come up else where. (So you got to have the last word! :

Can you explain the infallibility of the Qur'an? How has it been determined to be infallible?
          Are you asking about its authenticity and how it was compiled? Or about its infallible nature, as in having no errors?

Now, I kind of think this is a stupid question, so if you think so, too, I'm not offended one bit.

I saw in a (much) earlier post of yours that the Qur'an came after the Torah and the Bible? Am I getting that right? And that these texts were the man-written texts that Islam sees as somewhere between valid divine inspiration and misguided mortal thought?
          We believe in a long chain of prophets starting from Adam, and going through Abraham, Isaac, David, Moses, Jesus etc all the way till Muhammad, peace be upon all of them. We also believe some of them received revelations that they conveyed to their people. For example, Moses was given the Torah and Jesus was given the Injeel (Gospel).

You cannot be a Muslim unless you believe that these books are 100% from god. The issue is that the books we have today (Old and New Testament) have very little to do with what Moses and Jesus said. Even Christian scholars agree with this. You have the Gospel according to Matthew, Luke, Mark and John, but where's the Gospel according to Jesus? So it's not just a matter of a theological basis on which we reject these books, it's also an academic one.

Show me evidence of what Jesus and Moses really said, and I will follow it in a second, or else I'm not really a Muslim.

Well, I've just been thinking about how wine-obsessed the Torah and Bible are, but alcohol is a Muslim no-no. Where did this custom come in? Is it just about purity of body and mind? Is the wine-obsession in the Torah and the Bible considered part of the mortal errors in those texts?
          There are still traces of negative views on alcohol in the Bible, for example Proverbs 20:1 states: "Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise."

But you are right that we generally hold the opinion that these views are later changes that were done to the original message.

Comment

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, and forgive me if it's already been asked because I'm too lazy to look.

Back in college I had a Muslim roommate. Of course she didn't drink, but objected to even cooking wine used in food. She wouldn't even drink O'Doul's (a non-alcoholic beer) because it had alcohol. However, she had no qualms with using cough syrup with alcohol despite the fact in the US most cough syrups contain more alcohol than non-alcoholic beers (they have a 0.5 per cent content while cough syrups can have on average 1.5 per cent). When I pointed this out she dismissed it since "it was medicine". My question is are there exceptions for when alcohol may be imbibed, or did I just find someone trying to pull a CYA?
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

High five for being too lazy!

She's right that medical use of alcohol is allowed, when there are absolutely no other options. Same goes for other things we are not allowed to consume like pork for example.
              He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. [2:173]
              Though how can a non-alcoholic beer contain alcohol? Either it has alcohol or it doesn't!

Comment

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I really had no clue about that.

From what I understand they still semi-quasi ferment it and the yeast will produce alcohol as a by product. It's kinda no different than the way your body naturally produces a very small amount of alcohol.
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

D: Can you point me to stuff (particularly if its kid friendly) on the story of Soloman and the ant?

*thank you*
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    D: Can you point me to stuff (particularly if its kid friendly) on the story of Soloman and the ant?

*thank you*
                    I had a hard time finding children stories in English for some reason. I'm still looking for cartoons online. I found some but they're not about that particular story. I did find a few articles. Here's one of them: Prophet Sulaiman

Here's the story from the Qur'an:
                    Until, when they came upon the valley of the ants, an ant said, "O ants, enter your dwellings that you not be crushed by Solomon and his soldiers while they perceive not."
                    So [Solomon] smiled, amused at her speech, and said, "My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to do righteousness of which You approve. And admit me by Your mercy into [the ranks of] Your righteous servants."
                    I'm still gonna look for more, sorry I couldn't find anything better

Comment

*hugs*

Thanks D!

The kids and I are talking about other religions and stories about "environmentally friendliness"...someone mentioned the ant story, and I was hoping to find a kids version...
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

One my step-father sent to me. As usual.

If you have time, I would appreciate comments on it.

What bothers me overall is the assumption that all of Islam is evil based on these three things. I don't know how to respond to it, though, because it isn't familiar territory to me - my way of life isn't similar to those based on Abrahamic religions. I don't understand how some people can think that all Muslims must be alike, as though everyone of every religion believes exactly the same thing. It's funny how the whole thing is set up - the third point makes it impossible for me to argue because the reply can always be, "How would you know? They're obviously lying to you!"

I feel like I do this to you too often. I'm sorry if I bug you with it too much - I just look to you to help me out when I get caught up in this hateful mess because I don't feel equipped to offer sufficient answers.

Comment

D. I am aware that Islam has roots with Abraham,but have never read or understood the exact connection between the Abrahamic religions heritage with each other.

Any light on the subject would be very welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

I did find this site with a comparison(using a chart) that though brief does give some insight.

http://www.religionfacts.com/islam/c...ristianity.htm
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Guys, I'm not ignoring your questions, I'm just really busy. Gonna reply right away when I'm not exhausted!

Here's a cookie:

Comment

Understood D. Kinda chaotic there I would imagine.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

No rush!

/10char

Comment

Working...
                                X