This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask a Pro Life Pagan

Got it. I figured it was along those lines. Death--not an option at all for unborn children by anyone's say.

Moving on.

I am a danger to myself sometimes. Not so much anymore, but suicidal depression can really strike at any time, especially with the crazy chemistry problems I have. My emotions are extraordinarily hard to regulate, even with mood stabilizers etc.

When I began to suspect that I was pregnant, you know, I freaked out. I was fifteen. I was way on the edge of a dark void. I'd been in an abusive relationship for way too long and didn't see a way out. I was super scared to tell anyone about my situation because of various, various factors that I won't go into. I had a lot of fear and a lot of sadness and anger. I knew I was pregnant deep down; I was having baby dreams and then I missed my period the next week. I had been planning various methods of calculated suicide before this happened. It was my way to freedom. So, okay, we get it. Pre-pregnancy, I was a wreck anyway.

When I suspected I was pregnant. See me chopping vegetables. See me wondering how accurately and quietly I could stab myself to death. See me atop a stairwell, trying to figure out how hard and fast I could throw myself. See me gauging available rooftops for access and a jump. See me wondering how toxic our household cleaners and various medications could be, whether or not I'd just vomit or if I'd die as planned.

If abortion hadn't been an option that I saw. If I had no chance to get rid of these splitting cells conceived from the most horrible violence. If I couldn't cut this tie that would breathe in nine months and have a father who wanted this creature as a new, lasting, better means of abusive control. I would have died. No way around it, not being dramatic--I know who I was, how I felt, how meaningless life was to me, how very gravely hopeless things were in my mind. I would have killed myself. If I'd failed, my methods probably would have ensured that I was too damaged to leave any potential for future life. At least, that would have been the goal.

Okay, so the above is what I use as my personal frame for examining the young potential mother, and it is what I use to hypothesize about the young potential mother where policy made my decision inaccessible. It is a grim state of being, to say the least.

It may be important to add that, having had this experience, I would rather suffer consistent torture than ever suffer through the personal consequences following an abortion ever again. It is... the worst thing. My womanliness has been a source of great and harrowing bodily, emotional, mental, and spiritual anguish due to the actions of those who would appropriate it. None of these torments have trumped the absolute profundity of feeling a flame within me put out.

If I could change what I did now, I wouldn't. But never, ever, ever again. I saved my life when I made that decision in many ways. I only had the strength to escape my seemingly inescapable situation when it became evident that my choices would eventually, and possibly very soon, inflict consequences upon something that never asked to be held accountable for me.

I want you to know that I wrestled with including my personal history, but, as I said, this is my go-to framework for obvious reasons, and it is the lens with which I view policy arguments over accessibility to abortion. I didn't hesitate because I'm shy about talking about my experience; clearly I'm not. I hesitated because I wasn't sure if it was necessary to my question. But it is. Sorry for the short memoir.

Knowing that girls are in these types of positions, young girls with twisted situations rampant with all manner of abuse, girls who begged and wept while their bodies became hijacked in so many ways, then left to deal with what was left, and who already want badly to die, it seems reasonable to me that outlawing or heavily regulating abortion (particularly in traumatic and medically silly ways *cough* probe?! *cough*) would cause an influx in children's lives lost. Children who are pregnant, sure, but children nonetheless. Do I look at a fifteen-year-old girl today and think of her as an adult? No. Certainly not. Those girls are children too.

So, using the above as a reference for Really Bad Situation for Pregnancy, how do you feel that eliminating the option for abortion would be ultimately beneficial for a society chock-full of these horrible lose-lose situations, where girls would rather kill themselves than be forced to carry a child to term? And I'm not talking, like, the 20-year plan where eliminating abortion would be the first step in a set of policy changes which would ultimately have some kind of socialized program that would fix everything eventually. I mean today there is a young teenaged girl somewhere wondering whether or not she should kill herself if she is unable to gain access to an abortion in the next two weeks of a life wracked with obstacles, and I am wondering how making abortions inaccessible is going to be beneficial alongside a situation where this little girl wants to die because she has been infested with something she never wanted in any way.

I'm hostile by your technical definition and not at all in another way. I'm sorry if it all sounds so blunt. Honestly, it was difficult to even figure out my precise question, because coming from where I'm at, it's an extreme struggle to wrap my head around the whole pro-life opinion, but a struggle I want, because I really want to be able to see both sides as clearly as possible. But a big part of trying to see where you're coming from is telling you where I'm at and going from there. I hope you understand that stance.
    Last edited by Siloh; 29 Mar 2012, 07:25.

Comment

My preference would be to act proactively.

The personal problems you describe should be dealt with first - that is a public health issue. A person forced into an impossible situation will grasp at any solution available. I would like to see more good options available.

Abandoning people in need is not an option - for me. And it should not be for our society, either.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think you are very brave to post as you have. It is important to hear these things,as you had your reasons that many people would never understand. It is easy for people to want to stop abortion when in fact this will never effect them on such a personal level. If some had there way,there would be NO choice at all,even when the Mother herself might face death or great physical harm.
        I love children,but I also know that sometimes being born is not a great thing,when these children are born into a terrible life that they may not survive into adulthood.
        It is a vexing issue that we as humans make decisions for other people that we ourselves will never face.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          My preference would be to act proactively.

The personal problems you describe should be dealt with first - that is a public health issue. A person forced into an impossible situation will grasp at any solution available. I would like to see more good options available.

Abandoning people in need is not an option - for me. And it should not be for our society, either.
          Okay, but no one knew what was transpiring in my life but me, and if I knew abortions were inaccessible, I would have killed myself. One of my friends was ill for an entire year because of this situation and really should have died, but she survived. However, when she came to see me after recovery, she got a phone call. A girl was dying from the same fate, and no one would take her to the hospital, because they flipped out and left her. I have no idea if she survived. We were in a different state. It was 3am. Who knows what happened to the dying 16-year-old. No one was there to offer her options or counsel her. No one was there for my friend. I'm lucky I had support available, but if abortion were explicitly not an option, I wouldn't have asked for any help. I knew what option looked best, and I would have taken it.

So, that, there, is why making abortions inaccessible doesn't make sense to me. And I don't understand how it would be made better by anything. But surely if your concern rests in saving those deemed hopeless, this collateral damage is unacceptable and requires attention.

But saying that such issues should be dealt with is easy. The problem is that these are secret things, hidden things, unheard and unseen by bystanders. By all accounts, I was an exemplary child. It would have been far too easy for me to carry out my plans. I wasn't a candidate for at-risk programs or outreach whatever. I wasn't a kid someone was watching or suspecting. My life was a well-orchestrated illusion. One day I'd be getting my As in class, cleaning around the house, studying, and the next I would have been dead.

When arguing against pro-life policy, I am arguing as an advocate for *this* voiceless demographic, and I see those policies as a threat to their lives. How do we protect them when they feel that either they must terminate their pregnancy and live with all its consequences, rise from the rubble and try to gather the debris into a new life, or they must die without a soul knowing what drove them to such extremes? It's a Russian Roulette the way I look at it as it is now, because it's not like everyone takes the former option automatically or like that option really even *looks* like an option to many girls. Taking the former option away entirely looks like a loaded revolver to me, each devoted to wiping out a child who has the potential to have a family by her consent ahead of her.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I think you are very brave to post as you have. It is important to hear these things,as you had your reasons that many people would never understand. It is easy for people to want to stop abortion when in fact this will never effect them on such a personal level.

It is a vexing issue that we as humans make decisions for other people that we ourselves will never face.
          Thank you. A lot. In many ways.

Just a, uh, quote for perspective, from a friend who was horrified when he learned seconds later that I intended to abort.

"Maybe you'll get lucky like my friend. She was pregnant, but when she told her parents her dad was so angry he kicked her in the stomach and she had an instant miscarriage."
          Last edited by Siloh; 29 Mar 2012, 08:06.

Comment

Ok Siloh, let's just drop abortion for a moment.

Here's what I think of your story - it is so absolutely horrible for me to picture in a situation like that, where you did not have a single adult whom you felt you could turn to. And so you did what you felt was the best thing.

What I am trying to say is that I would really, really prefer to deal with that kind of situation first, before even abortion. The support is needed.

Can I wave a magic wand and make the world perfect?

Hell no.

Can I do things to try and make it better?

Hell yes. And I will try by my best lights to do so.

You advocate for the things you feel strongly about, and I will do the same.

---------------

The purpose of these "Ask a..." threads is to expand our horizons by finding out how those who disagree with us think, in a respectful and orderly way. It is not my intention to persuade, convince, or convert you.

I don't want anybody thinking they have to persuade, convince, or convert me either.

The point is respectful understanding. That is all.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Ok Siloh, let's just drop abortion for a moment.

Here's what I think of your story - it is so absolutely horrible for me to picture in a situation like that, where you did not have a single adult whom you felt you could turn to. And so you did what you felt was the best thing.

What I am trying to say is that I would really, really prefer to deal with that kind of situation first, before even abortion. The support is needed.

Can I wave a magic wand and make the world perfect?

Hell no.

Can I do things to try and make it better?

Hell yes. And I will try by my best lights to do so.

You advocate for the things you feel strongly about, and I will do the same.

---------------

The purpose of these "Ask a..." threads is to expand our horizons by finding out how those who disagree with us think, in a respectful and orderly way. It is not my intention to persuade, convince, or convert you.

I don't want anybody thinking they have to persuade, convince, or convert me either.

The point is respectful understanding. That is all.
              I agree with you in terms of the function of such threads, and I hope I didn't come off as wanting to convert you. I really appreciate your forwardness. I also appreciate having a new understanding that, in many cases, it is likely that if I argue with someone who advocates a pro-life policy, myself and my opponent are advocating a cause that is rather parallel on different sides of the fence, though the fundamental values and resulting solutions are oppositional. Which is really a big conceptual step for me only made possible by this format.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                Well, to be honest, there are two main reasons, but before I mention them, I will mention that I hate condoms, too. But necessities and all, right? Anyhow:
                1) taking hormones creeps the shit out of me. I realize that the copper IUD is an option in the non-hormonal department, but sticking something inside of me is gross too. And no, I can't explain further - this is just a fact of life for me.
                2) Family history of birth control being really awful to the brain chemistry of the female members of my family. I'm not taking crazy pills because I need to not have kids.

Answer the question?
                Thanks, yes it does. I was just wondering if there was some important ethical question that I should be aware of (besides the main point of the thread, of course). I'm so far okay on the pill. It's made my doctor pick up on things I wish he'd leave alone (you know, in the first year, you need regular check ups to make sure you're taking it okay and you're not reacting badly to it?) and he won't treat me for what I consider quite an important issue, because he doesn't want tme to be on two new medications at once in case I have a reaction. But my main disappointment, is that I hoped it would make my pms symptoms go away. I used to only have 2 o 3 periods a year and I assumed that was why I suffered so extremely when they came. Now I have them almost monthly (only skipped 2 so far since starting the pill) and all that's happened is I suffer just as badly, but more often.

Having a child now would be the worst thing I could do. Neither of us would be good parents and I couldn't give my child any kind of quality of life. I'm also one of those people who worries about the rapid growth of population. With every child born, their future is being made harder and harder as competition for employment and good housing rises. I kind of feel that because other couples are having 3 or more children, they've taken my allowance. Having spoken to JP, we think we would rather adopt. Everyone has this weird need to bear their own child with their own genes (funny how sometimes we disregard our animal instincts, yet other times, it is ever sooo important), but meanwhile there are many, many children in need of adoption who have the same right to a loving home as any unfertilised egg in my ovaries. They have relaxed the adoption process here in the UK, because it was putting off decent families, but I know it would still be a difficult road. Then again, child birth is hardly an easier option! So for me, contraception all the way!

This is all I am going to say on the subject though. It's pointless getting involved and wasting precious words. Everyone has a strong opinion, nothing you can say is going to change the minds of others on this subject. So.. I'm going to go and play outside instead...
                Last edited by Jembru; 29 Mar 2012, 17:12.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

What laws would you like to change about abortion?
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
                    I agree with you in terms of the function of such threads, and I hope I didn't come off as wanting to convert you. I really appreciate your forwardness.
                    No - I didn't want to seem to be trying to convert you

I also appreciate having a new understanding that, in many cases, it is likely that if I argue with someone who advocates a pro-life policy, myself and my opponent are advocating a cause that is rather parallel on different sides of the fence, though the fundamental values and resulting solutions are oppositional. Which is really a big conceptual step for me only made possible by this format.
                    Yes, thanks! We want similar things. We disagree on how best to get them. I doubt that our values are very different, though - we just see them playing out differently.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    What laws would you like to change about abortion?
                    I guess that would be Roe v. Wade, although not being a lawyer, I don't know if that's the best way to go about it.

Ideally, I'd much prefer to see some sort of national ballot so that each person can voice his/her mind in the privacy of a voting booth, rather than have supreme court judges decide what we want for us.

If I thought there were much chance of ending abortion in the near future, I'd pay more attention to this end of the business. As it is, I just want a voice.

Comment

Overturning Roe v Wade would put the issue back in the hands of state legislatures. There's also an argument (don't ask me about its accuracy) that if life is legally defined as starting at Conception then Roe v Wade falls apart in record time since the unborn child receives 14th Amendment protections.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Ideally, I'd much prefer to see some sort of national ballot so that each person can voice his/her mind in the privacy of a voting booth, rather than have supreme court judges decide what we want for us.
                        Now I'm not trying to be snarky, because we all know my bluntness can come off that way. But why can't the decisions be left for ME to decide? I don't need the govt nor the state nor my next door neighbor deciding what I can decide for myself. I know what I want for me. And it's different then what you want for me. So I think my rule over my body is the right answer. I doubt you'd want me ruling for your body, now would you?
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Well Medusa in this context one could say that the Government has the right to force a man to have a vasectomy if they deemed him not worthy of being a Father. This very thing did indeed happen in the early 20th century by the Eugenicists,they got laws passed to force against the will of the people to be sterilized because they deemed them unfit to breed. That group was in fact what inspired Hitler to begin his own form of Eugenics and you know where that ended up. You have the right to determine your own life and its path for yourself. Period.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Now I'm not trying to be snarky, because we all know my bluntness can come off that way. But why can't the decisions be left for ME to decide? I don't need the govt nor the state nor my next door neighbor deciding what I can decide for myself. I know what I want for me. And it's different then what you want for me. So I think my rule over my body is the right answer. I doubt you'd want me ruling for your body, now would you?
                            Ugh, the last thing I want is the majority to vote on my right to do what I want with my body... or my access to contraception... or my marriage... or my religion... or anything else actually.

Comment

Is there any compelling need to invoke Godwin's law this early Anunito?
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Sorry,I did not consider the Nazi thing,it was more about the eugenicists. You can ignore the Hitler,it was actually supposed to be Mitler,my bad, the keys slipped..:=o:

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X