X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spiritual / Magical Names?

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
    I'm not attacking anyone, just stating my own reason for not having one.
    -retracts claws-

Is that because your name offers you spiritual freedom? Is your name more cultural? Do you actually use your name when you work with 'magic' or is it just kind of a label that comes with you?
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I don't have one, and I never have. Its not that I'm against one, but I've never needed it. I've thought about it...but its always seemed so...adversely stereotyped. I don't think that names are conferred by anything other than one's parents (in my case, parents that think they were listening to a particular song while high at whence time they think that I was conceived), so I don't think there is any particular reason to hold on to one's birth name. Its just that I don't even need *my* name in my practice (and, TBH, being beyond one's name is more laudable than not), so why would I need another one? I understand many of the reasons why someone might want one, or why someone might adopt one (which aren't necessarily the same thing), and I can totally accept that might be right for another person...I just lament the some of the naming conventions that seem to be oh-so-popular (Favorite color+Favorite gemstone+Favorite Animal=Pagan Name ).

All I got is a nom de plume.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
        I'd disagree to the extent that a birth name is the name ones ancestors and gods / goddesses give at the point of the spark being instilled. Of course that point varying depending upon ones spiritual and ethical beliefs. You can change your name as many times as you desire but when before your ancestors you are the name given by them. When standing before your gods / goddesses your the name they gave you at birth if you were claimed by them, if not then it really doesn't matter for then your simply a guest at one of their tables in my opinion.
        To me, the idea of ancestors is closely attuned to pantheons and gods which is not a theory I subscribe to in the least. I understand the idea but my 'ancestors' were Christian and I don't believe in any gods, let alone Christian mythology. There will be no one waiting for me, you see, because they simply do not exist. There is no one to offend. My spirit was not named - my flesh was named and the very definition of my name uses the Judeo-Christian, captial "G" god in it so there is really no escaping how biblical it really is, no matter how much you disagree.

Given my recent interest in LaVeyan Satanism, perhaps you will understand more why I want to adopt a magical name that does not automatically cite the name of a god I do not believe in.

I do admit I find it ironic when people claim they dislike their name when I recall from some of my psychology classes seldom is it the name but the association they themselves instill upon it that is offensive. Many times because of a relationship issue they have with their own parents and nothing to do with their actual name. The same can be said of supposed biblical names when one considers those same names existed long before they became biblical associated. Oh my, my name is Elijah and it just has to be a biblical name for no other would use it except that group. Sounds sort of foolish to me, which also disregards the notion that the bible was one of the few books that many would have so it only logical that names would come from it.
        Uh, what? This isn't about changing who I am, it's about adopting a magical name for magical purposes only. I like my name just fine in every day life and have no intention of changing it for anyone. I find it rather insulting that you automatically assume that an interest in a spiritual name somehow makes a person "less than who they are." Quite narrow minded if you ask me. If you don't understand the need or the desire then there's really no need to post on this further now that you've made your point clear: you do not care for spiritual names. You have stated your reasons.

Next.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        I don't have one, and I never have. Its not that I'm against one, but I've never needed it. I've thought about it...but its always seemed so...adversely stereotyped. I don't think that names are conferred by anything other than one's parents (in my case, parents that think they were listening to a particular song while high at whence time they think that I was conceived), so I don't think there is any particular reason to hold on to one's birth name. Its just that I don't even need *my* name in my practice (and, TBH, being beyond one's name is more laudable than not), so why would I need another one? I understand many of the reasons why someone might want one, or why someone might adopt one (which aren't necessarily the same thing), and I can totally accept that might be right for another person...I just lament the some of the naming conventions that seem to be oh-so-popular (Favorite color+Favorite gemstone+Favorite Animal=Pagan Name ).

All I got is a nom de plume.

Yeah, I do not have any interest in some 'dark snowflake' name, even the ones given examples of in the book I'm reading are all wrong on a personal level. This is not a name that anyone else needs to know, not even one that I intend to use in any other respect other than when referencing myself when performing 'magic.'

But Red Pearl Bear does strike a meaningful chord... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
          To me, the idea of ancestors is closely attuned to pantheons and gods which is not a theory I subscribe to in the least. I understand the idea but my 'ancestors' were Christian and I don't believe in any gods, let alone Christian mythology.
          For me my ancestors are closely tied to my lineage and genealogy. It's something we grow up on and is part and parcel to many things that make up our heritage. As such its more a mountain clan thing than anything to do with any pantheon of gods / goddesses. Almost Scottish / Irish in that it is the scope of our ancestry and reflective of that ancestry. As far as Christianity, all my ancestors had various forms of Christianity so one can't say Christianity truly influenced or guided then in any special way nor a way that pertains to today. It's like I have both PowWow magics and Granny Magics in my ancestry which is very Christian influenced yet not Christian by today's notions.

There will be no one waiting for me, you see, because they simply do not exist.
          Had I not died and come back I might agree. However, since I did die and do have memories of both that death and waiting to be born as well as being born into this life I have to disagree. Given all the NDE's (Near Death Experience's) I've researched and ancestors and family meeting them at the light I'd still have to disagree.

There is no one to offend. My spirit was not named - my flesh was named and the very definition of my name uses the Judeo-Christian, captial "G" god in it so there is really no escaping how biblical it really is, no matter how much you disagree.
          We'll have to agree to disagree there.

Given my recent interest in LaVeyan Satanism, perhaps you will understand more why I want to adopt a magical name that does not automatically cite the name of a god I do not believe in.
          That's very different than any Satanist I've known. Their power is in their faith & Belief within their own self worth, Strengths and their name not seeking an alternate name. The self is all and all is the Self without any connection to God.

Uh, what? This isn't about changing who I am, it's about adopting a magical name for magical purposes only.
          Sorry from its usage it is about changing who you are. Especially if your not initiated and lineaged into a coven or practice that assigns such names as recognition of various levels of achievements. Anything else is aping that practice and trying to make oneself more special in my opinion as it is self awarded not awarded as a sign of completion and level or initiated into the coven or group.

I like my name just fine in every day life and have no intention of changing it for anyone. I find it rather insulting that you automatically assume that an interest in a spiritual name somehow makes a person "less than who they are."
          Sorry hiding behind a false identity is what I find less than who they are. Doesn't matter how it is created when it is created by the self to serve the self.

Quite narrow minded if you ask me

Not narrow minded at all. I just don't buy into self agrandisement to fit into what has become a basic tenant of 101 books.

If you don't understand the need or the desire then there's really no need to post on this further now that you've made your point clear: you do not care for spiritual names. You have stated your reasons.
          Didn't say I didn't understand it, just don't support it. But nice to know you've been promoted to HMFIC and decide who can or can not post in a thread. Sorry more SNAFU to me coupled to a lot of FUBAR.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I think the process of picking or discovering a spiritual or pagan name (or whatever you want to call it) can be different depending on the person. You might try paying attention to various symbols that keep showing up in your life as Heka mentioned, or you might think about name meanings and try to just pick one that seems to fit you. You can pick one out yourself, or you can wait and see if something shows itself. I personally like symbolism a lot, I like reading into the hidden meaning of things, and I believe in receiving signs from the gods. If that's not really your thing, then maybe you'll find a pagan name some other way. Possibilities are endless.

When I was younger, I thought I should have a pagan name, and I did a lot of meditation until I thought of something that I thought fit me. I used it for a little while, but over time I just didn't identify with the name as much as I thought I did. Thing was, I had convinced myself that one of my goddesses (Artemis) had wanted me to use that name, when really, I just thought it sounded cool and I found reasons justifying why it fit me. I'm not saying meditation doesn't work, I'm just saying that sometimes the name you think of first won't actually be as fitting as it appears. And it's okay to declare one and then change it later if it no longer fits you. People change over time, it's a natural part of life.

So, in summary, use whatever method you think seems best to find your pagan name, and keep in mind that it might take a while. Good luck with your quest, and blessed be!

Comment

Had I not died and come back I might agree. However, since I did die and do have memories of both that death and waiting to be born as well as being born into this life I have to disagree. Given all the NDE's (Near Death Experience's) I've researched and ancestors and family meeting them at the light I'd still have to disagree.
              UPG. No bearings. So yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.

That's very different than any Satanist I've known. Their power is in their faith & Belief within their own self worth, Strengths and their name not seeking an alternate name. The self is all and all is the Self without any connection to God.
              Considering Anton LaVey cited a large number of names in his The Satanic Witch and continued to go into detail about why it COULD be beneficial to adopt a moniker, I don't see where you're coming from at all. The entire idea is that *I* am god. Therefore, if *I* choose a name, it will be the right name and does not need some false gods in the sky or verification from other who believe in them to give it any merit.

Sorry from its usage it is about changing who you are. Especially if your not initiated and lineaged into a coven or practice that assigns such names as recognition of various levels of achievements. Anything else is aping that practice and trying to make oneself more special in my opinion as it is self awarded not awarded as a sign of completion and level or initiated into the coven or group.
              So it's ok for someone else to name me spiritually because of their alleged 'credentials,' but not ok for me to name myself? Pfffft.

Sorry hiding behind a false identity is what I find less than who they are. Doesn't matter how it is created when it is created by the self to serve the self.
              Uh, duh. If the assumption is that *I* am god then no one else matters. I am simply asking for opinions on how, if someone adopted a magical name, they personally came about doing it. How many times do I need to say that I don't believe in gods? I serve no one. I worship no one.

Not narrow minded at all. I just don't buy into self agrandisement to fit into what has become a basic tenant of 101 books.
              Again, I will say that this was an idea sparked by the writings of Anton LaVey and I am gathering information from the community. We shall simply have to agree to disagree here.

Didn't say I didn't understand it, just don't support it. But nice to know you've been promoted to HMFIC and decide who can or can not post in a thread. Sorry more SNAFU to me coupled to a lot of FUBAR.
              That's really just logic. You say you don't support it. Got it. What else is there to say? Railing against it is derailing this thread and I shall comment on your opinions no further since there is no more to say.

Comment

I don't know if my situation would count, since it's a stage name rather than a spiritual/magical one. But, my ultimate decision to use it stemmed from the same "method" for lack of a better term. When I was a little vocalist-ling, my voice sounded a bit like the original vocalist of one of my favorite bands. He used the name of an Icelandic volcano, and I thought to kind of pay homage to him, and because I thought it would be a good idea, I would look into the other volcanoes for a name. Hekla stood out to me. I did a bunch of research on her and actually started to "feel" a connection with the name. So now years later, I'm as much Hekla as I am my real name. I never disliked my given name, but I do like Hekla more. They both relate to weather: my given name means sunlight and Hekla is clouded.

Comment

Originally posted by Hekla View Post
                  I don't know if my situation would count, since it's a stage name rather than a spiritual/magical one. But, my ultimate decision to use it stemmed from the same "method" for lack of a better term. When I was a little vocalist-ling, my voice sounded a bit like the original vocalist of one of my favorite bands. He used the name of an Icelandic volcano, and I thought to kind of pay homage to him, and because I thought it would be a good idea, I would look into the other volcanoes for a name. Hekla stood out to me. I did a bunch of research on her and actually started to "feel" a connection with the name. So now years later, I'm as much Hekla as I am my real name. I never disliked my given name, but I do like Hekla more. They both relate to weather: my given name means sunlight and Hekla is clouded.
                  Have you ever been to visit Hekla? And spent time with her (I'm assume you apply feminine pronouns to it)? How was that for you? I'd be interested to hear how it went.
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I am going through a transition process currently where I am trying on a couple of different 'faces' (which is how I liken spiritual discovery or any type of growth that involves learning and finding what suits you) and one of the ideas that I am really trying to marinate on is that of "if there is any god, it is the self."

Therefore, I appreciate your input and respect that you chose your moniker based on your personal preferences. No one is more suited to choose your name than you. I don't think I really care if it's a stage name or a magical name, it's a moniker! A pen-name. It is about your image, your personality, the person you convey.

Was your name at all akin to your own in cultural origin?

Comment

Is that because your name offers you spiritual freedom? Is your name more cultural? Do you actually use your name when you work with 'magic' or is it just kind of a label that comes with you?
                      I don't currently work a lot of 'magic' in the sense that I think you mean, but if I did, I would use it, yes.

"I am Gandalf and Gandalf means me!' to quote The Hobbit. I see it in the same way - for the duration of my life, my name has referred to me, it offers definition and description. I'm not sure about freedom, except perhaps for the freedom of knowing who I am and where I come from, of knowing that a certain combination of syllables refers and relates to me.

That isn't to say that I'm opposed to the use of magical names, or would never use one, but I don't feel the need to adopt one as a default. If I did use one, it would be one assigned to me, that has a greater meaning within a specific context (within a lodge or order, or within a relationship with some kind of entity or intelligence). For anything else, I already have a name, and although it isn't the one I would have chosen for myself, the fact remains that it is now the one that means me. To adopt another one feels like it would just dilute that.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                        Have you ever been to visit Hekla? And spent time with her (I'm assume you apply feminine pronouns to it)? How was that for you? I'd be interested to hear how it went.
                        I have not visited the volcano; not yet. I would like to go to Iceland and see most of the volcanoes though. As for the feminine pronoun, all Iceland's volcanoes have feminine names and have been treated as female for a long time. I forget the reason, it's been awhile since I read up on it.

Was your name at all akin to your own in cultural origin?
                        I'm mostly Scandinavian, so it made sense to me to take a name heavily, if not only associated with the region. My given name is also frequently used in Scandinavia.

Comment

I have 3 spiritual names... one given to me by my grandmother (I come from a pagan family)... another was given to me by the Rosicrucian order upon obtaining a certain degree... and the other came to me after many years of knowing a name exists that I will only ever know (as my grandmother had told me would happen).
                          My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

We all use some sort of alternate name if we're online...it's pretty rare someone signs up with their real name. That's a form of magical name all in itself. Online we are whomever we portray ourselves to be. Which is, actually, no different from real life. So to be honest, anyone using a pen name who talks about it being self aggrandizing is totally talking out both sides of their mouth in my opinion. Besides, what's wrong with using something that makes you feel more important and special? That's such a Puritan "pride is bad" opinion. I'm surprised to see pagans hanging on to that idea so fiercely.

In my everyday, I use my given name. It is what it is. Frankly, it confuses people otherwise and I'm confusing enough without help.

Rowanwood was the name I was initiated with in a psuedo-eclectic Wiccan-ish coven. The full thing is Rowanwood Aine OwlCat and I can go into all of it if anyone cares, but in traditional eclectic Wiccan fashion, it's all got meaning. Although I'm certainly not a Wiccan any longer, it's a good name and its me now.

I also use Maeve's Child online, more for my art and writing. Queen Maeve of Connacht is my poster child for kicking butt. She might have lost in the end, but everyone does eventually. I very much identify with this name too.

I do actually have a "spirit" name like Auseklis does that I don't share. I've never quite figured out where it came from, other than it was just there one day. It's more a phrase than a name though. I don't really question it to be honest, because frankly, it doesn't matter. It is something that I use to empower myself and since it works? Well, if its not broke, I'm not going to fix it or poke it.

Comment

I have not visited the volcano; not yet. I would like to go to Iceland and see most of the volcanoes though. As for the feminine pronoun, all Iceland's volcanoes have feminine names and have been treated as female for a long time. I forget the reason, it's been awhile since I read up on it.
                              Cool I hope you get there one day!
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Do any of you use spiritual or magical names? If so, how did you go about choosing them? Do you feel as if they were given to you? What was your process of adopting this name?

Obviously, most people do not share their sacred names and that's fine, I'm mostly interested in the process you went through. I have felt a calling to do this and was wondering how anyone else went about doing it. Are your names pantheon specific? Culturally specific? Language specific? Educate me.
                                My online name started as my 'pagan name', back when I was a teenager immersed in neo-Wicca. It was an aesthetic thing more than anything... I like the look and sound of it. It has absolutely no cultural or pantheon-specific significance. I no longer use it as a magickal name, but it's my identity within the neo-pagan community, just as my birth name is my identity within the non-pagan community.

In general I have several names... variations of my birth name, my screen name, other names that are known only to me and my gods. A name is a label, a moniker, a tool that can be donned in conjunction with the various masks that we don from day to day. Names help us to tap into parts of ourselves that may or may not be a part of our every day persona. Having no name or being beyond a name can also be powerful tools in this respect. Names and titles have power.

In many neo-shamanist circles, to know the true name of a being is to hold power over it, which is a potentially dangerous situation to put yourself in. For a being to know your true name means that they could more easily harm you. For you to know their true names makes you a potential target, especially if that being doesn't trust you and has allies who are willing to protect their interests. It is also dangerous to lie to certain Otherworldly beings. So in many neo-shamanist circles, having multiple names is not only common, but is essential. If a being asks you what your name is, you can tell them a name that is yours or that you are called by, but which is not your true name. That way you have neither lied nor given them power over you.

I'd disagree to the extent that a birth name is the name ones ancestors and gods / goddesses give at the point of the spark being instilled. Of course that point varying depending upon ones spiritual and ethical beliefs. You can change your name as many times as you desire but when before your ancestors you are the name given by them. When standing before your gods / goddesses your the name they gave you at birth if you were claimed by them, if not then it really doesn't matter for then your simply a guest at one of their tables in my opinion.
                                I disagree with this entirely. My ancestors didn't name me. My parents did. Actually my father did, and my mother had to go with it because my father is an overbearing, abusive asshole.

My ancestors and gods had nothing to do with it, and I'm interested in your justification for such a generalised statement of supposed fact. It's one thing to state your personal opinion, and quite another to state your personal opinion as universal fact which it quite patently is not.

If I do have a secret or spiritual name it is one placed upon me in journey or trance work not something I simply made up.
                                IF you do? Is this an admission, MonSno? Do you have a secret name placed upon you in journey or trance? Because didn't you just tell us that you didn't use magickal or spiritual names?

Does that mean that you use your birth name during journey? When asked by a wight what your name is do you give them your true birth name? Or do you tell them something else?

So you are saying that arbitrary alternate names given out by covens for attaining an arbitrary 'grade' are okay? But a name that one has chosen out of deep introspection or communion with the gods to mark the achievement of a personal or magickal goal is not?

You're saying here that every single person who has posted in this thread with a magickal name is just trying to make themselves more special. There are... three pages of replies here so far. So three pages of pagans are simply trying to make themselves more special by self awarding names?

So monsno_leedra is your birth name, this aforementioned name that you go by that is known to all? You're not hiding behind a false identity right now? You don't use any other name aside from your birth name?

I just don't buy into self agrandisement to fit into what has become a basic tenant of 101 books.
                                Erm, Bjorn is a budding Satanist. And a LaVeyan one at that. Self aggrandisement is kind of a thing in LaVeyan Satanism. You know... self as god, self worship, the power of the self, the self as the ultimate source and power and meaning. That whole thing that you said earlier about "....The self is all and all is the Self without any connection to God."

In that case I would say that a name that is self-given has far more power and relevance than a name that was given by someone else. Why would someone who's supreme being is themselves place more importance upon something 'awarded' to them by some external source? That makes very little sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X