This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spiritual / Magical Names?

Was raised Catholic. And where I grew up it wasn't just a religion, it was WHO you were, what you were etc. So, even though I pretty much had the faith/religion then that I have now as a Pantheist, I had no language for it. It was something I had and even practiced but I never considered it a faith or religion because I lived in a world where there was nothing but BEING Catholic....

I very much like my given name now, but when I was a kid my mom often used it in angry tones, or mocking tones, or shaming tones etc. So I had some uncomfortable associations with it as a child. Teachers did that too. I hate the idea of scolding someone with their name and really did my best to avoid doing so with my kids.

So, when I was 12 it was time for confirmation in the Catholic church and we were told to research saints who we wanted as a role model/mentor and use their name as our confirmation name. I admit I chose the name then researched the saint's back story, because I liked the name, and I imagined it would be a nice name to have. The back story pretty much meant nothing to me nor inspired me, I just thought it was cool to be able to pick a name I liked.

A few years later...suffering depression, teen angst, family issues, and realizing that I really really wasn't Catholic and having NO clue what that meant or what to do with it...my best friends/confidants were my goldfish. I can't explain it, they were just the most important things in my life. They kept me going.

And they gave me a name. It's not a name that I've ever heard or seen anywhere, it's just something they gave me...like I just KNEW that is who I was to them.

I don't do magik (not part of my tradition) so not sure whether or not to call it a magikal name, but I think a spiritual name would apply.

I do use it as my e-mail address name and as screen names a few places because no one else uses it and it's never been turned down for being "taken". So there are people who know me by that name, and a few who use it.

I think it's nice when someone you love and are in relationship gives you a name that speaks of who/what you are to them. So it means that to me as well.

If I do spiritual blogging, or write a prayer I will often use the name, but I have never used it when signing my art, even when I do art connected with my faith...that just dawned on me!

I never use my confirmation name at all. Ever. I don't even like it anymore...not because of any association with the church...it's just one of those names that a girl thinks would be cool to have at 12 and by the time they are 17 they are like "what was I thinking!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
      We all use some sort of alternate name if we're online...it's pretty rare someone signs up with their real name. That's a form of magical name all in itself. Online we are whomever we portray ourselves to be. Which is, actually, no different from real life. So to be honest, anyone using a pen name who talks about it being self aggrandizing is totally talking out both sides of their mouth in my opinion. Besides, what's wrong with using something that makes you feel more important and special? That's such a Puritan "pride is bad" opinion. I'm surprised to see pagans hanging on to that idea so fiercely.
      Fair point. Kind of makes me think about the concept of ritual wear. You don't have to use it, but I figured the point was to use them as tools to put yourself in the right mindset. Brains work that way. If you make something into a special routine, your brain'll go into that preferred frame of mind every time you employ its use.

Magic robes, magic name=magic time.

Comment

My "spiritual" or "soul name" has nothing (or at least very little) to do with my religious tradition.
        There is a small group of us connected by a particular symbol. We've been reincarnating together as a group for a while. My mentor told me my name. She also told me about several of the others, giving names and descriptions of these individuals (these are people neither of us had met yet in this life). I've actually met some of them at later points.

I don't know if any of that made sense.

From my tradition's point of view, names are often changed or added to as one grows in experience. Rights of passage are often accompanied by a new name with the ceremony.
        ʼŌraḥ Qaḏəmōnī, a revival of Ancient Israelite religion -- PathOfAncients.org

Comment

I use the name Ventus due to feeling akin to the element of Air. I don't have a specific god(dess) or pantheon I follow. So I just go by how I feel aether level. I feel closest to air then water.

Comment

I have a magical name. Someone - gods/powers/guides - gave it to me long ago. I don't tell it. That way, when I hear it, I know I'm being called.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              I have a magical name. Someone - gods/powers/guides - gave it to me long ago. I don't tell it. That way, when I hear it, I know I'm being called.
              nice one !

i sometimes go by Wodenborn...but that's more a description and not a name

Comment

Working...
              X