Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who try to convert you, and your reactions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People who try to convert you, and your reactions.

^

You should have told her you own a horse. Or maybe asked her how magnets work.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

My wife falls back on the deafness, if she gets approached in town, she just signs "Sorry, Deaf" and they back off immediately, we have never yet met a missionary that can sign. I guess if we do, we will be in trouble :P

M
      In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

I generally just tell them I'm not interested and keep walking. Sadly when I am in Glasgow I seem to attract those people so I am not always that polite. X
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[quote author=Maulus link=topic=1426.msg29810#msg29810 date=1295520105]
          My wife falls back on the deafness, if she gets approached in town, she just signs "Sorry, Deaf" and they back off immediately, we have never yet met a missionary that can sign. I guess if we do, we will be in trouble :P

M
          [/quote]

That is a great idea! Haha. X
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

The only people who tried to convert me are my brother (that's a long story) and my dad (in which he would say, "You know, Pagans believe so and so" and I would say, "actually, no we don't.&quot

I always feel like someone's going to come up to me when I'm in the metaphysical section at the bookstore, because I can hear people in the Christian section on the other side of the shelf talking, and sometimes it's not the nicest of things they're talking about.
            But the only encounter I had in the bookstore was when an employee asked me if I was into Wicca. I said yes, and then they asked me for advice on how they should rearrange the Wiccan section. lol.

Comment

No one has ever tried to convert me. So no experience to share here, sorry. Though I WISH someone would try to convert me! Oh well.
              [4:82]

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=1426.msg29389#msg29389 date=1295315973]
                It's kind of funny, after reading everyone's responses and thinking about it for awhile - I don't care about the message so much as the delivery.

I don't like people coming to my house uninvited. Period. Doesn't matter if you're a salesperson, census taker or relative. When someone I don't know rings the doorbell or knocks on the door, I view it as an invasion.
                [/quote]

That's how I feel. Since they mail the census report these days I don't have to worry about that issue.

We've had our share of door-to-door salesmen since moving from the city to suburb 8 years ago, but only twice have we had anyone selling their religion knock on our door. I really thought I was going to have a problem with the last couple of guys - one was an older fellow, not the young guys you usually see.

No matter what they're selling, my response has always been "No thanks, I don't buy anything this way." Of course they always go ahead and try to convince me and I just repeat "NO THANKS" while I'm shutting the door in their faces. Does that make me rude? I think it comes down to the Golden Rule - do unto others - if they are rude enough to come by without calling first I don't have to be very polite either.

If I ever have anyone selling religion come knocking on my door again, I'm thinking the first thing I'll say is "Can I please have your address so that when you're finished telling me about your religion, I can bring a friend to your house and tell you all about our religion." But - they might actually take me up on it, thinking that then they'd have another chance to convert me, and my friend as well. Nope, that won't fly. I'm sticking with "NO THANKS."
                ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
                - robert anton wilson -

Comment

[quote author=Maulus link=topic=1426.msg29810#msg29810 date=1295520105]

M
                  [/quote]

Mormons have ASL missionaries (usually Sister Missionaries) in most major cities, so you might want to keep an eye out for that
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

"No speak-a Engleesh" works pretty well, too.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=1426.msg29825#msg29825 date=1295532422]
                      "No speak-a Engleesh" works pretty well, too.
                      [/quote]
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[/quote]
                        LOL!
                        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=1426.msg29823#msg29823 date=1295531871]
                          Mormons have ASL missionaries (usually Sister Missionaries) in most major cities, so you might want to keep an eye out for that
                          [/quote]

We have never seen one that can speak/sign BSL or even SSE, we switch between either, plead ignorance of the other We no signee ASL :P

M
                          In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

lol your crazy
                            "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

[quote author=yukanaoe link=topic=1426.msg29882#msg29882 date=1295558159]
                              lol your crazy
                              [/quote]

My sanity is only a theory anyhow :P

M

Comment

hahaha i wanna meet your wife.
                                "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

Working...
                                X