Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who try to convert you, and your reactions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People who try to convert you, and your reactions.

oh oops OT..

no converters here yet..
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

"Ah, sumimasen, eigo wo hanashimasen. Uh... No... English."
      </badjapanese>
      Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

We have old guys in Iowa City who stand at major intersections of the sidewalk so you can't avoid them without really going out of your way and they aren't shy at all. They hand out New Testament Bibles and try to convert you. It's only for a day or two at the beginning of the school year but it's really annoying. And tons of bibles end up on the ground, a complete waste of paper.

I'm tempted to print off a hundred or so copies of the Wiccan rede and stand close to one of them and be like "would you like a copy of the wiccan rede? it's much more interesting I promise." and if the school tries to tell me to move on i'll like point to the other guy "I move when he does."
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=1426.msg30179#msg30179 date=1295751186]
            We have old guys in Iowa City who stand at major intersections of the sidewalk so you can't avoid them without really going out of your way and they aren't shy at all.
            [/quote]

The only people I see here that do this are w/the Nation of Islam, whenever Louis Farrakhan's making the rounds. They're actually some of the most polite people I've encountered when it comes to hawking religion - some even sell pies (or incense).
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I live in the hood. People try to sell me crack but not religion so I'm not sure how I would react.

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=1426.msg30341#msg30341 date=1295844992]
                The only people I see here that do this are w/the Nation of Islam, whenever Louis Farrakhan's making the rounds. They're actually some of the most polite people I've encountered when it comes to hawking religion - some even sell pies (or incense).
                [/quote]

They're quiet, and mostly polite, but it's still really annoying because even if you're obviously trying to avoid them they still shove a bible in your face.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I just say that my family is devoutly Catholic. My husband's is, so I don't feel too bad about the mini lie. Most people around here don't feel that Catholics are really Christians, but they don't try to convert them either.

Comment

[quote author=GypsySeaWitch link=topic=1426.msg30263#msg30263 date=1295813596]

Now I have known someone that saved all the pamphlets that one specific church kept leaving at his house. The came regularly so he had many and always knew when they'd be at his door. Well one day on the morning they normally made their rounds he decided to make a point. He went to his porch drew a chalk circle, scattered the pamphlets inside it, drew some magickal symbols, and added fake blood. No one ever knocked on his door again.
                    [/quote]

That's great!!!! I should try that at my parents house....but my dad would probably have a fit lol
                    It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

We get Jehovah's Witnesses. My dad and I have conflicting opinions. He tells them to "****** off" I have a conversation with them even though I'm happy with my path
                      "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                      - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Working...
                      X