• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg27636#msg27636 date=1294567052]
    Do you have any racist friends?
    [/quote]

I'm the racist one, I hate the entire human race.
    [4:82]

Comment

Yes, yes I do. But I tend to tell them to shut up when they are racist. X
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Do you think a five year old should still be breast fed?

*waits for the onslaught to begin :P
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg27899#msg27899 date=1294700229]
          [/quote]

No. Because its creepy.
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

[/quote]

No, because I agree with Bjorn.
            It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

No, because if it's ok for a 5 year old, it should be ok for me (at 55 years old). And it's not.
              Sleep, my friend, and you will see
              That dream is my reality

Comment

[/quote]

ewwww..... but maybe:
                ONLY if s/he never grew any teeth, AND is allergic to every other kind of milk,

no, I changed my mind, even in that case, pump it and serve it from a cup
                What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

[quote author=Celest link=topic=62.msg27930#msg27930 date=1294705687]
                  ewwww..... but maybe:
                  ONLY if s/he never grew any teeth, AND is allergic to every other kind of milk,

no, I changed my mind, even in that case, pump it and serve it from a cup
                  [/quote]

Even in that case, the mother could use a breast pump and put the milk in a glass.
                  Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

[quote author=Shadow Dragon link=topic=62.msg27935#msg27935 date=1294706088]
                    Even in that case, the mother could use a breast pump and put the milk in a glass.
                    [/quote]
                    yup...that's what I said
                    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

[/quote]

I think that if a child can consume other foods to get the nutrition they need then they have no need to be breastfed.
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

[/quote]

My mom breastfed my little brother until he was 3 and a half. But 5? Dude, you're old enough to REMEMBER it at that point. I think when the kid can FLUENTLY ASK for breastmilk, it's time to stop.

Mostly art.

Comment

I think its weird. Just because its *soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo* not a societal norm. Sure, in some cultures, it might be normal...but in ours, its weird enough that people accepting of *different* even think its strange...which makes me side with Bjorn:

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=62.msg27908#msg27908 date=1294700806]
                          No. Because its creepy.
                          [/quote]
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

[/quote]

Honestly, once any offspring gets teeth, the milk-feeding should stop - doesn't matter if it's a kitten, puppy, foal, calf, lamb, baby, whatever, having teeth = eating solid food. The only exception to this I can see in case of human children is if their mother's milk is the only nourishment they have available, and if there's not enough solid food around to feed a child, the mother's milk isn't going to be all that much better, anyway.

As an aside, humans are the only animals that make an industry out of feeding themselves with the milk of other species. Other animals drink milk opportunistically... we raise animals just for the stuff.
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[/quote]

OK, yeah, we all find it creepy. Fair enough. It's not bad, though. Not a single part of it is inherently evil, immoral, or disruptive to the mother/child relationship.

Should it happen? I don't know. I'm not sure of any distinct advantages to breast feeding long enough for the kid to be casually reading while he gets a snack out of Mom.

Is it wrong? I'm fairly certain that's a "no." The most honest responses are like the ones on this thread, saying it's creepy, but that's purely an ideocultural viewpoint.

Other than making you feel uncomfortable about it, does anybody have anything they can put forward to say that this is, legitimately, something to be considered disgusting and not just socially unacceptable?
                              この言葉が読めれば、グーグルを見つけておめでとう御座います。

Now go read a book or something...

Comment

[quote author=Fiddlypoppin link=topic=62.msg28025#msg28025 date=1294723865]
                                OK, yeah, we all find it creepy.
                                [/quote]

I don't find it creepy - nursing is something mammals do. I'm not gonna sit & stare in awe and wonder at a nursing mother, but it's perfectly natural behavior.

What I do find weird, not creepy, just weird is that most mother animals will kick their offspring off their breasts once said offspring have teeth - but humans will keep nursing. Not only do humans keep nursing their offspring, even adult humans will go out of their way to drink milk. Which is a food for infants. We've built an industry out of milking other species of animals for their milk. We remove infant animals from those dairy cows & goats so they will provide more milk for us instead of only for their offspring. That's what I find weird. Why continue nursing a 5-year old human? It's had teeth for about 3 1/2 years!
                                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                                X