Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    That cranberry is good for bladder infections. Come to find I'd have to drink two glasses of it daily for a loooong time before it kicks in.

*sips mah water
    Seriously?? My doc's still tell me to drink that stuff every time I get something. I've grown so used to it, I almost like it. And back to doc knows best... ugh.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      Seriously?? My doc's still tell me to drink that stuff every time I get something. I've grown so used to it, I almost like it. And back to doc knows best... ugh.
      The report I read so the only women who seem to benefit from the cranberry are women are already get quite a few Utis already. Then again..
      Cranberry is good 2010
      Not so fast 2012
      I was thinking of picking up the Diet Cranberry (I'm Diabetic) and it only has 2 grams of sugar. But then I figured it's probably mostly water with a bit of cranberry, what good would that do? So I drank about a liter of water last night and today. All night I peed and I felt the pressure (I don't have the burning symptom at all). Today with more water and peeing..I feel better. I'm not sure what the issue was. But I didn't want it to go to my kidneys. As a Diabetic, I have to watch these 'minor' signs which can be complicated by my disease.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The report I read so the only women who seem to benefit from the cranberry are women are already get quite a few Utis already. Then again..
        Cranberry is good 2010
        Not so fast 2012
        I was thinking of picking up the Diet Cranberry (I'm Diabetic) and it only has 2 grams of sugar. But then I figured it's probably mostly water with a bit of cranberry, what good would that do? So I drank about a liter of water last night and today. All night I peed and I felt the pressure (I don't have the burning symptom at all). Today with more water and peeing..I feel better. I'm not sure what the issue was. But I didn't want it to go to my kidneys. As a Diabetic, I have to watch these 'minor' signs which can be complicated by my disease.
        Ah, yea, water water water is always a good thing. It is extremely difficult to get too much water. Also, you could check out some of the teas they have in grocery stores geared toward urinary tract health. I've had some success with these.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Medusa, I have no idea if diabetes would stand int he way of this - but - I have found that a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water a couple of times a day does far more good, far more quickly, than cranberry juice. I haven't had a UTI in years (knock wood) but that trick always worked for me.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking into alternative methods. I've had some in the past but never that came on so suddenly and with only the pressure symptom. No pain when peeing etc. I would pee, and it was a full pee. But still feel the pressure. I thought it might actually be a painful ovulation during the middle of my cycle. But drinking the water seemed to really help. I'm probably also dehydrated since it was a double shift yesterday, hot and I didn't get a break. I just worked 8am to 3pm. Then a dinner break then 5pm till about 7:30. I had to go home because my belt was squishing my tummy and I couldn't stand up straight. I was worried it was my kidneys. But it wasn't side pain or pain. Just fullness. It seems to be better now, and I can only assume the water flushed something away.

Comment

Cranberry is good 2010
              Not so fast 2012
              Cranberries help prevent bacteria from adhering to the lining of the kidneys, urethra & bladder, so they're really best as a preventative measure. If you've got inhouse bacteria already causing an issue, cranberries won't cure you - only antibiotics will. The cranberries may reduce the length of time you're stuck with a UTI by washing away some of the existing bacteria, thereby reducing how much the bacteria can reproduce. From what I understand, in order to get the best results from cranberry juice, you have to go buy the overpriced 'pure 100% no-sugar-added not-from-concentrate' cranberry juice from a reputable health food store. And it will taste like bitterness and nightmares.

Or, you could pick up the pills from the same health food (or your local pharmacy/drug store/grocery store, whatevs) store that have the antibacterial extracts concentrated in them, pop a couple 2 times a day & be done w/all that drinking of cranberry pain nonsense. Bearberry (aka Uva-Ursi, or Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) is highly effective for preventing UTIs as well, but may cause liver damage.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                And it will taste like bitterness and nightmares.
                As someone with frequent UTIs, I can confirm this. That stuff tastes like sadness and melancholy.

Mostly art.

Comment

See I get occasional UTIs, and I've never used cranberry juice, but I love cranberries! Sadness? Melancholy? Bitterness? Nightmares? No way! It's delicious!

My tastes are a bit hipster though.
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                    See I get occasional UTIs, and I've never used cranberry juice, but I love cranberries! Sadness? Melancholy? Bitterness? Nightmares? No way! It's delicious!

My tastes are a bit hipster though.
                    I love everything cranberry, but the pure juice is really mouth puckering and bitter and astringent. I can only drink it if I cut it half with apple juice.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      I love everything cranberry, but the pure juice is really mouth puckering and bitter and astringent. I can only drink it if I cut it half with apple juice.
                      I love the mouth puckering! Haha told ya, hipssssttteeeerrrr!
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I had a bladder infection once and the only thing the doc gave me was antibiotics... But this stuff called Azo REALLY helped dial down the pain a lot, and it's over the counter. Just don't mind the bright orange pee. :P
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                          I had a bladder infection once and the only thing the doc gave me was antibiotics... But this stuff called Azo REALLY helped dial down the pain a lot, and it's over the counter. Just don't mind the bright orange pee. :P
                          My only problem with this stuff is that if I can't feel it, I can't be sure it's gone. And I have a history of these things sticking around for quite awhile. I prefer to get switched to a different antibiotic if I'm still symptomatic after two days or so, cause if it's still sticking then, the antibiotics not gonna work in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                            Yeah, I read about that. But I don't have pain so there's no point to take it. It's an analgesic. I drank a lot of water for the last two days. Something I should be doing anyways. So I feel better. I can stand up and not feel pressure. Let's hope it stays that way.

Comment

Colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic /antiviral/antifungal available at your local health food store (and it WILL NOT turn you blue unless you make it yourself and add copper, so don't do that. In fact, it's easy to properly make at home, just google). Honey is a natural antibiotic (buy locally grown, if you can), as is garlic (available in capsules if you don't want garlic breath) and olive leaf extract (available in the health food store or herbal store). All of these are effective, easy to use, and relatively cheap compared to a doctor's visit.
                              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
                              Clan of my Clan
                              Kin of my Kin
                              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

When was the last time you apologized and didn't mean it?

Comment

Working...
                                X