X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parenting Debate: To Snip or no?

Originally posted by Auseklis View Post
    Why would nature make a human (male) a certain way that isn't functional/normal?
    Why would nature make babies that grow bones instead of scars/flesh so they eventually die because their body becomes so rigid they can no longer expand their lungs?
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Why would nature make a human (male) a certain way that isn't functional/normal? Why don't we need to circumcise animals/pets or stock animals etc and they do not get infections.
      Nature doesn't "make" anything with forethought or direction. We all (humans and other animals) actually have plenty of body parts that are functional but not at all efficient or optimal or well designed. Nature makes things that are just good enough...that doesn't mean they are great, it just means you can survive. Its pretty much how evolution works.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

It does actually have a purpose though. I've noticed that, having been with guys who are and aren't, guys who aren't are more sensitive during sex, but less sensitive when they're not erect. It's a bit protective. Everything I've read has also backed this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
          Why would nature make babies that grow bones instead of scars/flesh so they eventually die because their body becomes so rigid they can no longer expand their lungs?
          I think you are exaggerating a bit. It's not like foreskin is a disease.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
            I think you are exaggerating a bit. It's not like foreskin is a disease.
            It wasn't my intention to make that comparison, I'm just annoyed by people who think nature is perfect or kind. You'd think someone from Australia would be aware of the darker side of nature.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              It does actually have a purpose though. I've noticed that, having been with guys who are and aren't, guys who aren't are more sensitive during sex, but less sensitive when they're not erect. It's a bit protective. Everything I've read has also backed this one.
              Your knee has a purpose...and its probably one of the worst designed parts of your body.

Just because something has a purpose doesn't mean its optimally made or that it is necessary for survival.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

you need your knees to help you run. that seems necessary for survival to me

Comment

Why would nature make a human (male) a certain way that isn't functional/normal? Why don't we need to circumcise animals/pets or stock animals etc and they do not get infections.
                  I just read a thread about gender dysmorphia. Why would 'nature' make the wrong mind in the wrong body? I dunno. Shit happens I suppose.

As for animals? Well we need to tend to the hooves of horses or else it gets pretty ugly up in there. We need to clear out the anal glands of dogs. Don't even ask about the stench if you don't. We need to give de worming shots to cats and dogs. Etc etc.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Personally, I wish my parents hadn't decided the whole circumcision thing for me. It's not their body, and their not the ones that have to live with the choice. Rather or not the dad or the mom decides is completely irrelevant to the fact that the baby didn't.

If there are health benefits to circumcision then a person should be presented with the choice later in life. It's not like a foreskin is some kind of lethal appendage. Unless the child is somehow going to die without a circumcision, it's just needless hacking on a small infant.

As far as the aesthetics thing goes, that's complete poop. I've seen some pretty badly circumcised penises in my day. It might seem shallow of me but there's been a few times where I've stopped talking to guys because I just couldn't get over the butchery that happened in their pants.

Comment

I am uncircumcised.
                      I have never had one health problem because of it. Obviously anecdotal evidence, but yeah.
                      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        As for animals? Well we need to tend to the hooves of horses or else it gets pretty ugly up in there. We need to clear out the anal glands of dogs. Don't even ask about the stench if you don't. We need to give de worming shots to cats and dogs. Etc etc.
                        It might sound cruel, but all that you just described is just humans interfering with evolution. If we allowed those animals to go how they are then nature would clean house and get rid of the ones that didn't adapt. As far as I know having a foreskin isn't endangering a human's ability to live and pass on their genes.

Comment

I had a friend who had to get circumcised when he was around 13 for some health reason I forget. It's something he chose, when he was old enough to do so, to deal with a health issue he had at that particular time. He was really embarrassed about it, felt like he was wrong or incomplete in some way.

Obviously he wasn't. He had a health problem and had surgery to deal with it. Surgery is not the same as the cosmetic mutilation performed on children. 'Cause that's all it is, majority of the time. Cosmetic mutilation.
                          Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                            It might sound cruel, but all that you just described is just humans interfering with evolution. If we allowed those animals to go how they are then nature would clean house and get rid of the ones that didn't adapt. As far as I know having a foreskin isn't endangering a human's ability to live and pass on their genes.
                            The issue was about why would nature do such a thing. Well humans mess with nature. Would have, should have, could have. We've messed things. So now things are messed and we need to intervene. Sorry, short pithy answer. I'm just tired as hell and about to hit the bed! Regardless of my personal opinion, it's just that my personal opinion. That shouldn't be a factor in your decision for your child.

I have no issue with snipping or no snipping. I think it's a decision a parent makes for their child. And not for me to make it for them.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I was circumcised at birth. I certainly can't say I'm unhappy with the current equipment; it's served me quite well. But, if I'd had the choice, I would rather have not been circumcised. We've had a couple of family members, however, who didn't circumcise their kids only to find out later that some of the males in our family have to have their foreskins removed because they will tighten to the point that they cause great pain when the child is around three years old (primarily during urination). I saw a young family member having to deal with this pain and it was heart-breaking. So I would say that I feel no male should be circumcised at birth; they should be left in their natural state and given a choice - unless there is a good medical reason to circumcise at birth to avoid later pain and stress.
                              OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                              The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                              Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                Your knee has a purpose...and its probably one of the worst designed parts of your body.

Just because something has a purpose doesn't mean its optimally made or that it is necessary for survival.
                                Point taken.

Comment

Working...
                                X