• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strange food preferences

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
    I drink gravy instead of tea at night XD
    That CAN'T be good for you, Amelia.

Pickles and mashed potatoes. In addition to eating PB by the spoon, I love it on just about everything. On it's own, with cocoa powder, in porridge, on bananas, strawberries, celery, carrots. Crackers, bread, the usuals. As dessert, as breakfast. Not just PB either - all nut butters. Could eat them all by the spoonful.

One I tried last night that was a bit gross: blair's sudden death sauce on yam fries. The combo of hot and sweet was really weird.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      Go for it! It's quite popular in Japan. It was a girl I lived with there who told me about it. The tea warms the rice up (generally left over from the previous evening meal). I eat brown rice, but I'm starting to question whether white rice is really as bad as people claim. The Japanese diet is extremely healthy and they mainly eat white rice. In fact, rice is such a massive part of the diet, that one way of refering to the main meals of the day, is by saying 'morning rice', 'midday rice', etc, whether or not rice is consumed! It's quite charming.
      I'm going to have to try this now *eyes her cup of tea*

I really don't get weird with my food, though. I like gator tongues and yellow carrots and that's about it.
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
        I'm going to have to try this now *eyes her cup of tea*

I really don't get weird with my food, though. I like gator tongues and yellow carrots and that's about it.
        When you say gator tongue...do you mean an alligator's tongue? or is it some kind of weird southern thing I've never heard of? Because, uhm, ew.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
          When you say gator tongue...do you mean an alligator's tongue? or is it some kind of weird southern thing I've never heard of? Because, uhm, ew.
          Alligator tongues. I tried them when I was in Florida a while back and I was desperately hungry. They taste just like shrimp.
          my etsy store
          My blog

to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
            It's cyanide. When combined with stomach acid, apple seeds produce hydrogen cyanide, and it takes a lot for a human to be poisoned by them. Dogs generally weigh less than people, so it wouldn't take as much to poison a dog (or a cat or child, for that matter).

What amazes me is that along with apples & pears, all pit fruit seeds (plums, apricots, peaches, nectarines, and bitter almonds) contain cyanide, but there is more than one website out there touting the 'amazing healing benefits' of apricot 'kernels'.
            Thanks for that. They are both dangerous though, right? And if it can kill small animals, it can't be good for you, wouldn't you think?
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I was told about the apple seed thing when I was in high school, although it didn't put me off. Then I passed on this wisdom to a friend in uni who laughed at me and said I'd have to eat thousands of them before it had any affect. She was studying medicine so I didn't question her, although she WAS only a student. It's on granny smith cores I eat usually, and I can't always afford them, so I should be okay!

No one has mentioned chilly chocolate yet? Surely at least Danie Marie will have eaten this; I saw it frequently when I was living in Germany. You never see it here in England though. I guess the combination is just too crazy for us boring Brits (you know we like our food bland!).
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

mac'n'cheese with mashed potatoes....
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

You're right, Jembru. To get the effects of cyanide with at least apple seeds you need to eat an outrageous amount. So if you chomp on a few seeds while eating an apple you won't die

OK, not really outrageous but I like to eat fries with hot sauce and ketchup.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                    Thanks for that. They are both dangerous though, right? And if it can kill small animals, it can't be good for you, wouldn't you think?
                    Yes, cyanide is a poison - and it can kill large animals & humans, too. It's just a different kind of poison than arsenic, lol. Arsenic's a metal, cyanide is a carbon/nitrogen compound.

Pretty much everyone gets exposed to both cyanide & arsenic on a daily basis from natural & man-made sources, but our bodies are pretty good at binding them w/inert molecules & getting rid of them. It's all a matter of dosage & long-term exposure to larger amounts than a person's body can naturally detoxify.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Tried strawberries and olives last week out of curiosity. TERRIBLE IDEA. >.<

Mostly art.

Comment

oatmeal with PB, plain yogurt, raisins and cinnamon...

And I've never tried it, but I've had a hankering to try strawberry-chamomile mead for EVER (I came up with the idea when I was preggo with v1.0)
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Probably not that strange, but I like grilled cheese with apple (it's good! Try it!) and mayonnaise on french fries (but not fast food french fries, like Wendy's or McDonald's, casual restaurant french fries).

I just saw a recipe on TV today for a bean burrito--with popcorn. As in actually in the burrito. I think I will try it someday.

Comment

Not really strange but I love cheese and jam toasted sandwiches. It's delicious but it seems to make other people go 'yuck'!
                            http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Not sure how odd they are but. I eat artichoke dipped in mayo. And plain boiled cabbage. Nutella and peanut butter on a tortilla heated up. Oreos soaked in milk, like mushy soaked. I like cheese on broccoli and brussel sprouts.
                              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                oatmeal with PB, plain yogurt, raisins and cinnamon...

And I've never tried it, but I've had a hankering to try strawberry-chamomile mead for EVER (I came up with the idea when I was preggo with v1.0)
                                Strawberry chamomile mead sounds AMAZING.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X