Cultural Appropriation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Cultures have been splitting, merging, evolving, stealing ideas, borrowing them, giving them away, forcing them on others, and throwing idea away since the dawn of human kind.

IMO, it comes down to what kind of person you are...if you are honestly well-meaning and trying to be respectful, most people aren't going to be jerks.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

There is nothing wrong with being proud of belonging to a culture. I am proud to be Geordie and hate that the dialect has been watered down with slang: 'don't' is 'diven't' in Geordie, not 'deen't' as the young'un's are saying. The dialect is almost dead now and that's sad. So in this respect, I wish to honour and uphold my heritage. However, I have a contact in Germany, who speaks English with a Geordie accent, and likes to practise with me. This is no way offensive, and in fact, I am flattered, that someone outside of the north east, cares about the dialect, and not just the accent, as famed by Big Brother and Ant and Dec.

The danger, is when you get possesive about your heritage. What? You were BORN and I should be impressed? You managed to squeeze your way out of your mother's lady hole, and that is the one acheivement, in your entire life, that you have to hold onto and be proud about. Anyone who thinks that where they were born is an accomplishment, really needs to rethink their entire life, because if that's the best they have managed... Oh dear.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
        Thanks for giving the question a go, James! Do you think though, that maybe those cheesy things can be justified if they act as a gateway for someone starting serious consideration?

I think the nearest thing we had in Wales was probably the male voice choirs, yet nobody (as far as I know) thought they were cheesy. People got really mad when Clinton mentioned 'Welshing' on a deal though....
        I hadnt thought of that Tylluan I wonder how that term came into the language.

Youre lucky not to have them cheesy types. Look at this guy, Daniel O Donnell, he actually has tea with grannies and sings songs about his mammy. He sings songs that no one here sings just to please foreigners... Make. It. Stop.

TBH I dont think they serve as a gateway I think if people are honest in their search for culture they deserve to find the real thing as unpallatable as it may be rather then the lot who insinuate themselves in between peoples expectations and the reality so they can make a few pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
          I hadnt thought of that Tylluan I wonder how that term came into the language.

Youre lucky not to have them cheesy types. Look at this guy, Daniel O Donnell, he actually has tea with grannies and sings songs about his mammy. He sings songs that no one here sings just to please foreigners... Make. It. Stop.

TBH I dont think they serve as a gateway I think if people are honest in their search for culture they deserve to find the real thing as unpallatable as it may be rather then the lot who insinuate themselves in between peoples expectations and the reality so they can make a few pounds.
          The video reminds me of that episode of Father Ted...

As for the term welshing, it probably derives from the old 'Taffy was a welshman, taffy was a thief,' nursery rhyme (how could they teach that to children???)

I agree that people searching for culture deserve to the find the real thing, but I still suspect that many are enticed by the cheesy bits at first.... we may never know.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          There is nothing wrong with being proud of belonging to a culture. I am proud to be Geordie and hate that the dialect has been watered down with slang: 'don't' is 'diven't' in Geordie, not 'deen't' as the young'un's are saying. The dialect is almost dead now and that's sad. So in this respect, I wish to honour and uphold my heritage. However, I have a contact in Germany, who speaks English with a Geordie accent, and likes to practise with me. This is no way offensive, and in fact, I am flattered, that someone outside of the north east, cares about the dialect, and not just the accent, as famed by Big Brother and Ant and Dec.

The danger, is when you get possesive about your heritage. What? You were BORN and I should be impressed? You managed to squeeze your way out of your mother's lady hole, and that is the one acheivement, in your entire life, that you have to hold onto and be proud about. Anyone who thinks that where they were born is an accomplishment, really needs to rethink their entire life, because if that's the best they have managed... Oh dear.
          I love the Georgie accent... one of my grandfathers came to Wales from Gateshead. I think my own pretty scatty background has taught me that culture is very fluid. Despite my name, I'm a genuine Heinz 57 varieties....
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The video reminds me of that episode of Father Ted...

As for the term welshing, it probably derives from the old 'Taffy was a welshman, taffy was a thief,' nursery rhyme (how could they teach that to children???)

I agree that people searching for culture deserve to the find the real thing, but I still suspect that many are enticed by the cheesy bits at first.... we may never know.
            Hah yeah Eoin McLove. I think that Father Ted charactor might have been based on Daniel O Donnell

I never heard the taffy nursery rhyme anyway so hopefully that old prejudice is dead everywhere except the US. Though that said prejudice against wales was still a part of my education. In terms of nationalist politics Wales being British and Celtic at the same time is a contradiction so Welsh history and culture was just ignored after Wales = British = bad was given to us.

Lots of my education was hard to reconcile with my experiences thank feck Ive family all over the place that I couldnt hate like I was taught to. All I was told about Wales was in 1798 Welsh soldiers killed the famous leaders of the rebellion and then boiled them down to grease their boots before being righteously killed... imagine teaching kids that. Filling minds with hate and testing them on it... feck sake. Though my cousins in Wales and England had a similar story when it came to their education about ireland. Its a feckin miracle we arent all killing each other now and we get the politicians smiling at us claiming they fixed it all when they were the cause of it.

Ah feck em all anyway.

Comment

I don't think most americans know (or care) enough about Wales to be actually prejudicial toward the welsh. I wouldn't be surprised if most of what we know about Wales comes from Torchwood.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Well, it was a nursery rhyme that was still quoted whenever we went outside Wales as kids... and presumably got carried to the US in some shape or form, because Clinton definitely pre-dates Torchwood.

James - it's strange what you say about the Irish equating the Welsh with the British because we had a huge Irish population here in Wales... and the nuns always said they were taught to be kind to the Welsh because 'they were good to us in the famine.' There's a statue to the Irish famine victims in Cardiff, believe it or not.

And of course the funny thing in Wales is that by and large they really dislike the English. Never ever walk down St Mary Street when Wales are playing England at home wearing a white rugby shirt. If Ireland are playing though, you'll be most welcome in a green jersey!

Comment

- - - Updated - - -
                  I've never heard that, or the term, so I don't know that it's going around a lot anymore.

Comment

I don't generally hear 'welshing', I came across 'welching' in a fanfic once but neither term is extraordinarily commonplace.

That said, the US has a host of regional differences in a number of areas. It's quite possible that such terms are commonplace in another area of the country.
                    Last edited by MaskedOne; 19 Aug 2012, 11:01.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Gypping is the more common, and equally offensive term. Jewing is also in use, though less common than either.

Indian giver is a similar term as well, and also hilariously ironic given the histories involved.
                      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Hmmm...I've heard the term "welshing", but only in the context of "welshing on a bet/deal" (someone going back on ttheir word, not someone stealing), I never would have thought about the fact that it originated from being Welsh. Same for being gypped (which I've always seen spelled "jipped", and not even seen spelled that often in the first place), and never heard it used as meaning having something stolen, but instead being short-changed....and I never would have associated it with someone being a Gypsy (if someone told me it was a racist thing, I probably would have associated it with some derivative of the term "Jap" or something, from WWII). And...the only person I've ever heard use the word "Jew" like that is a Jewish friend of mine.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

I've always heard it as welching (with a ch sound as in chair) not welshing so have never associated with the Welsh. And gypped has always been jipped when I've seen it also.

I never really give much thought to where words/slang originates if I'm honest so it's always interesting to learn something new.
                          http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            Hmmm...I've heard the term "welshing", but only in the context of "welshing on a bet/deal" (someone going back on ttheir word, not someone stealing), I never would have thought about the fact that it originated from being Welsh. Same for being gypped (which I've always seen spelled "jipped", and not even seen spelled that often in the first place), and never heard it used as meaning having something stolen, but instead being short-changed....and I never would have associated it with someone being a Gypsy (if someone told me it was a racist thing, I probably would have associated it with some derivative of the term "Jap" or something, from WWII). And...the only person I've ever heard use the word "Jew" like that is a Jewish friend of mine.
                            Same, and I spelled it jipped as well. I had NO idea it had anything to do with gypsies until I was about 18 or so. No one else I know knew it came from those roots either.

I think some words and phrases can start out racist, but are around so long that they just change in meaning and no one has ANY idea that they mean that anymore. There are several phrases like this in German. And even more that kind of sound racist to foreigners but don't have those roots at all. For example, a lot of people think the phrases "working black" (working under the table) and riding black (not paying for a ticket) come from some sort of racial thing, but they actually come from the fact that a lot of people in the past carried out these activities at night when it's dark out, and also the connotation that there was something dark, "dirty", and unsavoury about such activities.
                            Last edited by DanieMarie; 19 Aug 2012, 11:38.

Comment

James - it's strange what you say about the Irish equating the Welsh with the British because we had a huge Irish population here in Wales... and the nuns always said they were taught to be kind to the Welsh because 'they were good to us in the famine.' There's a statue to the Irish famine victims in Cardiff, believe it or not.
                              Thats the first time Ive heard that Tylluan, its common knowledge that the choctaw and lakota indians sent us money after the trail of tears and that the quakers helped us by setting up soup kitchens but Ive never heard anything about Wales helping Ireland. That says it all really doesnt it. Its more likely Id be told that martians helped us during the famine then British people. As an adult Ive never come across it either, the only links I know of between Wales and Ireland are medieval and come through a colony in Wales and later through the 'celtic' church there.

And of course the funny thing in Wales is that by and large they really dislike the English. Never ever walk down St Mary Street when Wales are playing England at home wearing a white rugby shirt. If Ireland are playing though, you'll be most welcome in a green jersey!
                              Thats interesting, I had no idea that Welsh people didnt get on with English people. The only experience I have of the cultures meeting are my cousins so Ive never seen that rivalry. Is it over the mines closing in the 80s or is it more a defining yourself by the contrast between you and your nearest neighbours?

Its also interesting that Wales has a kinship with Ireland but ime the reverse isnt true... fluidity of culture can be restricted by national and international politics. Though I suppose the polarisation of indigenous ethnicities here could be used to prove that on a micro scale. Though a european context for all that is probably a better way to view things, we could look at the rivalry between britain and Ireland in the same way and be equally enlightened beyond the propaganda.

Ah its a sad day today but atleast for the sadness of what politics has done and continues to do Im learning something new that can put old grudges to rest Thats a bit of positivity that makes the world brighter. Thanks Tylluan

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                                I've always heard it as welching (with a ch sound as in chair) not welshing so have never associated with the Welsh.
                                Actually the two are connected. The Welch Regiment (in the British Army) was made up of .... Welsh regiments.

Comment

Working...
                                X