How do you think Spells work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you think Spells work?

Ive had conversations with my BF about how I think magic works and thought it would be a neat little topic.

But I think general spell casting is mostly about putting your intent out into the world, that can cause ripples in karma, which by focusing you direct. So rituals and the such, aid us to focus the intent and direct it to where we are wanting it to be.

Re: How do you think Spells work?

I think it's a combination of intent and the amount of energy devoted to it.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Ok, I don't understand a lot about it, and I'm probably misunderstanding everything that's been done in the field science-wise, but I think spellcraft works via quantum physics. Plus, there are a lot of psychological factors that go into play, which is why most spells make changes in the spellcaster and their behavior, and not so much in the object of the spell.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

"The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

My theory is that spells are more like a prayer. You put your energy with an intent into the world. And something listens. Whether it's the energy and force of all things, or if it's a god/goddess who is listening. I'm still on the fence on where I believe our spells get sent to. I feel that chants and pre written spells help focus your mind and get the idea more concentrated, but aren't necessary. And I feel that items used in spell work are used so that you have something to associate your intent with, but are also not necessary. I think that you can do your spells any way, as long as you are putting energy and clear intent into it.

Comment

I feel like energy and intent are important, but I also feel like you need something beyond that. Focus aims a spell and energy powers it, but a spell can still fail regardless of how much time and energy and intent into it. A spell requires belief to truly work, (again just my opinion) if you don't really feel like the spell is going to help, it likely wont. If you do it once or fifty times, with ritual preparations or just some thoughts and feelings in the quiet of home, if you are already convinced that the spell will fail it already has. You have to keep your mind open, and keep your subconcious from sabatoging you before you begin. Mostly though I agree with what has been said so far beyond the bit I added.
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Real magic doesn't break the rules of physics it works with or around them, in ways as yet unknown to science. An extreme example of this would be: if person a) curses person b), person b) doesn't turn into a frog but they might get hit by a bus a few days later or contract a nasty disease.
              So exactly how does magic work? No-one knows for sure but my theory is this: When you cast a spell spirits take notice and make things happen for you, either because they want to or because they are compelled to (not all spirits think like we do).
              I think that (most) dark matter and dark energy is in fact the spirit world. If dark energy is capable of overpowering gravity so that the galaxies get further and further apart, it shouldn't be too hard to imagine that energy powering our spells.

Comment

I'm going to very upfront about the prayers=spells idea: I don't agree with it at all. Actually, I find it false advertising and one of the many things that trips up new people.

A spell is achieved through your own skill and effort. A prayer is asking an outside source for assistance. To put it in mundane terms......

Prayer = Asking Dad for $20
                Spelling = Mowing lawns to earn $20

Are they both about getting $20? Yes. However it's not the result that is the deciding factor. It's how you get there. And the means are vastly different; it's those means which makes prayers and spells different.

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                  I'm going to very upfront about the prayers=spells idea: I don't agree with it at all. Actually, I find it false advertising and one of the many things that trips up new people.

A spell is achieved through your own skill and effort. A prayer is asking an outside source for assistance. To put it in mundane terms......

Prayer = Asking Dad for $20
                  Spelling = Mowing lawns to earn $20

Are they both about getting $20? Yes. However it's not the result that is the deciding factor. It's how you get there. And the means are vastly different; it's those means which makes prayers and spells different.
                  Personally I agree with you, but I can also see where the other side comes from. In psychology there's petitionary prayer (where the spell example would fall under) and thanksgiving prayer, confessional prayer, and others. Since some people use spellwork to ask specifically a deity the idea of petitionary prayer as a form of magic could apply in their case.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

to descend."

Comment

Prayers and Spells are both asking the universe for something. Prayers are just more polite, spells more demanding.

Comment

Magic is reality, reality is magic. The disciplines that are commonly called magic are manipulations of fundamental reality. They also don't all necessarily work the same way. Prayer != psionics != external energy manipulation != etc....
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                        Since some people use spellwork to ask specifically a deity the idea of petitionary prayer as a form of magic could apply in their case.
                        Something being a form of magic doesn't make it a spell. My point was specifically the difference between prayers and spells. Unless they are giving up the reins to whatever deity is being asked, I don't call that prayer. You can ask a deity (or other being) for assistance, but in a spell it's to you calling the shots and your efforts directing the energies.

It's the difference between asking Jack to take that history test for you (prayer) and asking Jack to give you a hand studying for said test (spell).

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                        Prayers and Spells are both asking the universe for something.
                        For you maybe. I'm not asking when I cast a spell. I'm doing.

Comment

Something being a form of magic doesn't make it a spell. My point was specifically the difference between prayers and spells. Unless they are giving up the reins to whatever deity is being asked, I don't call that prayer. You can ask a deity (or other being) for assistance, but in a spell it's to you calling the shots and your efforts directing the energies.
                          And like I said some don't see the difference. For example, in Ancient Egyptian magic you tend to gain that power by either likening yourself to a deity or pulling directly from a deity in the form of a prayer.
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

to descend."

Comment

And like I said some don't see the difference.
                            Choosing not to see a difference doesn't make that difference go away.

For example, in Ancient Egyptian magic you tend to gain that power by either likening yourself to a deity
                            Do you mean you're aspecting a given deity?

or pulling directly from a deity in the form of a prayer.
                            Define prayer, because I'm not sure how you "pull" something from another when you're asking it to be given.

Comment

Choosing not to see a difference doesn't make that difference go away.
                              Yes it does. Like I said identifying with a deity meant the magic of such a power made it indifferent to "asking".

Do you mean you're aspecting a given deity?
                              Both. The line gets blurred when one likens themselves to a deity.

Define prayer, because I'm not sure how you "pull" something from another when you're asking it to be given.
                              I actually did in my first post that quoted you. There's a link to it.
                              my etsy store
                              My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                              X