Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meat Eaters are Horrible People

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Frankly in the current economic climate, I'll just eat what I can get....
    Exactly. Not saying I would go vegetarian if I could, but I would at least want to eat free-range animals. I would want to buy meat from a local farm so I know they were treated humanely. But many of us simply don't have the money for that in this economy. I do feel bad sometimes knowing that the meat I'm eating probably came from an animal in a factory that was abused And even if they were not abused, it is likely the animal was not living a happy life. Even then, I love the taste of meat too much to NOT eat it. That's just something that I'm going to live with all my life.

Comment

Since it's been shown that plants can feel pain, vegetarians are theoretically just as evil as meat-eaters. The difference is the things we eat have a face and make noise whereas plants just die quietly.
      ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
        Exactly. Not saying I would go vegetarian if I could, but I would at least want to eat free-range animals. I would want to buy meat from a local farm so I know they were treated humanely. But many of us simply don't have the money for that in this economy. I do feel bad sometimes knowing that the meat I'm eating probably came from an animal in a factory that was abused And even if they were not abused, it is likely the animal was not living a happy life. Even then, I love the taste of meat too much to NOT eat it. That's just something that I'm going to live with all my life.
        If you have even a tiny yard, get some chickens...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasmine View Post
          Since it's been shown that plants can feel pain, vegetarians are theoretically just as evil as meat-eaters. The difference is the things we eat have a face and make noise whereas plants just die quietly.
          I've always thought about that. I feel that as long as you treat the animal nicely and let them live a long life, it shouldn't matter if you kill them for food. Because that's pretty much what you're doing with plants. You're growing them with care and waiting until they grow to be the biggest, then you RIP THEM FROM THE GROUND AND DEVOUR THEM RAW.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          If you have even a tiny yard, get some chickens...
          Well, perhaps not all my life. I strive to live in a modest house with a decent amount of land in the back to grow my own fruits and vegetables, and perhaps have some pigs and chickens. And have enough to money to buy local organic products. But that doesn't seem possible in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
            I've always thought about that. I feel that as long as you treat the animal nicely and let them live a long life, it shouldn't matter if you kill them for food. Because that's pretty much what you're doing with plants. You're growing them with care and waiting until they grow to be the biggest, then you RIP THEM FROM THE GROUND AND DEVOUR THEM RAW.
            I agree. For me it's not about the fact that you kill the animal (which is done humanely wherever possible) but the manner in which they were kept while alive. I share your guilt of having to eat battery farmed animals, but free range and/or organic is so expensive :upset:
            ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Comment

Originally posted by Jasmine View Post
              I agree. For me it's not about the fact that you kill the animal (which is done humanely wherever possible) but the manner in which they were kept while alive. I share your guilt of having to eat battery farmed animals, but free range and/or organic is so expensive :upset:
              Totally. They don't know they are going to be killed. They can live their whole life happily. And when they are killed (assuming it's done in the quickest and painless way possible) they don't even know what hit them.

Comment

What's the best way to humanely kill a chicken?

(This sounds like the set-up for a bad joke, but it's a serious question...)

Does ringing it's friggin' neck qualify?

Don't make friends with your food. It is apt to cause digestive problems in those who are less than really, really hungry, or with otherwise sensitive stomachs. Enjoy the luxury of being able eat only PC food, most people don't have it...

The usual method of chicken raising goes like this:

Get dozen or so straight run (unsexed) chicks. When they get old enough to sex by eye, eat the males (some people claim the hens lay better if there's a male, but it really doesn't matter). When the hens get old enough to start laying, eat the ones that don't lay. When a hen stops laying, eat it... Unless it's a broody hen. Never eat a broody hen.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  No, you're right. It is silly. I think hardcore vegans (the ones that won't USE animal products either - ie: wool, honey, beeswax, leather) are retarded.
                  It's because our brains need easily-processed protein and fat (meat) to keep being modern human brains. We would never have advanced as far as we have without meat.

It's like pandas. Most pandas are functionally retarded because they refuse to eat anything except bamboo. Pandas are still bears, they have claws & teeth and an omnivore's digestive system. But they choose their diet. If they ate like the other bears, they wouldn't be so much of an evolutionary black hole.

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                  Humans are built to mostly eat insects and fruit.
                  Humans are true omnivores, but we actually have a hard time extracting useful nutrients from the bodies of most insects. It's the same problem we have with eating grass. Chitin just isn't nutritionally viable for large primates - and most insects are mostly chitin.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

On the subject of eating and killing chickens.... my mother-in-law used to tell a story about how her father couldn't face wringing a chicken's neck so he beheaded it instead, and it then ran (headless) into the house and all around the kitchen splashing blood everywhere.... Eeeuwww.....
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I can see that there's going to be another debate about human digestive systems and tooth arrangement.

People have circumvented what nature intended, by the ability to reason, rationalize and also to modify not only their environment but their diet. As a species, we're omnivores. As humans, we're what we choose to be. There's a difference. Apples and hams.

Perze mentioned the evolutionary black hole that pandas are. I'm of the opinion that humans are, too. Not just an evolutionary black hole but a willful and delusional black hole.

I know. It's because I eat meat once in a while, isn't it?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                        On the subject of eating and killing chickens.... my mother-in-law used to tell a story about how her father couldn't face wringing a chicken's neck so he beheaded it instead, and it then ran (headless) into the house and all around the kitchen splashing blood everywhere.... Eeeuwww.....
                        I think, if I recall correctly, that there was one chicken that lived for several months without a head. They fed it by putting a tube down it's neck (the ax was hot from shopping, and cauterized the neck when the head was cut off). Chickens don't really need their head...

Comment

I was a very healthy vegetarian for about 10 years. If you get the right mix of legumes, etc., it's sufficient in proteins, etc., and quite cost-effective. I remember going out on a date with a fellow vegetarian during that time, however, who was one of those "pub food" ones Volcaniclastic mentioned....the guy ate potato chips, fried mushrooms, etc. ALL THE TIME!! Lol I still have many meatless days, as I accumulated a lot of recipes during those years that don't include meat, and I simply like them.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post

Perze mentioned the evolutionary black hole that pandas are. I'm of the opinion that humans are, too. Not just an evolutionary black hole but a willful and delusional black hole.
                            Pandas are an evolutionary dead end because they don't like sex much and their diet is dependent on one plant; bamboo. If bamboo goes so does the panda and in the meanwhile they just don't bother reproducing as much as they should.

Humanity is a danger to itself but we are more capable of over coming adversity than any other large mammal. If something wipes us out it'll probably take every mammal larger than a domestic cat with us too.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              I think, if I recall correctly, that there was one chicken that lived for several months without a head. They fed it by putting a tube down it's neck (the ax was hot from shopping, and cauterized the neck when the head was cut off). Chickens don't really need their head...
                              Yup, Mike the Headless Chicken

You mentioned humane chicken slaughter & the proper order of eating chickens, Corbin, and I wholeheartedly agree with eating roosters first. Like before they get their spurs!

One of my aunts usually just slaughtered her old hens by breaking their necks. She had a hook on the side of the coop similar to a rabbit wringer. The aunt I lived with preferred beheading. From my own experiences, using a chicken wringer with too much force can cause more shocking beheadings. When you've got a butcher knife, at least you expect it & don't drop the chicken.
                              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                                Pandas are an evolutionary dead end because they don't like sex much and their diet is dependent on one plant; bamboo. If bamboo goes so does the panda and in the meanwhile they just don't bother reproducing as much as they should.

Humanity is a danger to itself but we are more capable of over coming adversity than any other large mammal. If something wipes us out it'll probably take every mammal larger than a domestic cat with us too.

That doesn't change my opinion that Homo sapiens are a similar 'black hole' to Ailuropoda melanoleuca. A dead end.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                                X