X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord of the weeds
    replied
    Re: Meat Eaters are Horrible People

Man cannot live on bread alone, or vegetables for that matter. Well at least I couldn't. I do raise all the meat that I eat so I know how it lived.

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

As much as I'd love to, I'm also not supposed to eat a ton of red meat. I can digest it fine, but if I eat it too often my body does funny things. I do love beef, venison, wild boar, and lamb though, so when I eat it, I really eat it. Mostly, I eat fish, turkey, and chicken.

Leave a comment:

• volcaniclastic
    replied

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post

I will eat your cows :P
    Do it. Beef was actually the first thing that set me off down the path of being a vegetarian (for longer than 6 months - I flitted back and forth as a teen). In 2008 I stopped being able to digest red meat - it makes me violently ill for some reason, and it never did growing up - so I quit eating it and ate only pork and chicken, but...I don't really like pork or chicken. Eventually, I realized it'd been over 6 months since the last time I even tried to eat meat, and decided to make the conscious switch. That was about two years ago, or so. I gave up fish for a while too, but I'm too athletic to sustain a vegan diet, so I brought fish and eggs back in.

and here we are! I do miss it sometimes, but usually only on special holidays where my family makes turkey.

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

Attitudes like this drive me crazy. If you want to be vegetarian, go for it. If your beliefs tell you that you shouldn't eat meat, I don't care. But some of us don't have a bloody choice. It's called an allergy, and allergies to non-meat proteins such as soy, lentils, beans, and other legumes are among the most common food allergies in the world. I'd love to see someone justify how a diet getting protein from only quinoa, oatmeal, eggs and a few nuts would be healthy. It's not varied enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I'm not a meat-eater, but I'm pretty content to let you all eat steak. Hell, eat my portion too. Eat all the cows.

Except the ones in India. They will take offense.
    I will eat your cows :P
    Last edited by DanieMarie; 22 Nov 2012, 10:31.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
    You mentioned humane chicken slaughter & the proper order of eating chickens, Corbin, and I wholeheartedly agree with eating roosters first. Like before they get their spurs!
    LOL - seriously, the order is arranged so that no feed is put into non-producing animals. It doesn't do you much good to spend $20 on feed for what will be a $3 carcass. Avoiding the spurs (you should tangle with a peacock sometime - they can fight off a 'coon...) is just a pleasant bonus.

The thing is, killing an animal is inherently violent. We (people in general) would like to convince ourselves that it's kind or humane... and it can certainly be done in such a way that it is less painful or terrifying to the animal - and it's what I would prefer... but dead at the hands of another is always dead at the hands of another.

I, personally, don't raise meat birds anymore. The luxury of not having to kill my food is nice (I really do not like killing), and I will enjoy it as long as I can. But, truth to tell, we might just as well all anti-up and admit that life is based on death as much as death is based on life. Something has to die so that something else can live (it's a resource issue...).

For as long as I can manage it, I want to be the one living, and I never feel much like apologizing for it.

Leave a comment:

• AL!CE
    replied

Every species has a limited span of existence. Some last longer than others. The real question isn't; will the human race die out (because the answer is obviously yes) but will it evolve into something else before it dies out? The long term future of the dinosaurs was birds. I think the long term future of us might actually be robots, who says evolution has to be biological? In the future our grandchildren will be made of metal.

Leave a comment:

• ChainLightning
    replied

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
    Pandas are an evolutionary dead end because they don't like sex much and their diet is dependent on one plant; bamboo. If bamboo goes so does the panda and in the meanwhile they just don't bother reproducing as much as they should.

Humanity is a danger to itself but we are more capable of over coming adversity than any other large mammal. If something wipes us out it'll probably take every mammal larger than a domestic cat with us too.

That doesn't change my opinion that Homo sapiens are a similar 'black hole' to Ailuropoda melanoleuca. A dead end.

Leave a comment:

• Ophidia
    replied

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    I think, if I recall correctly, that there was one chicken that lived for several months without a head. They fed it by putting a tube down it's neck (the ax was hot from shopping, and cauterized the neck when the head was cut off). Chickens don't really need their head...
    Yup, Mike the Headless Chicken

You mentioned humane chicken slaughter & the proper order of eating chickens, Corbin, and I wholeheartedly agree with eating roosters first. Like before they get their spurs!

One of my aunts usually just slaughtered her old hens by breaking their necks. She had a hook on the side of the coop similar to a rabbit wringer. The aunt I lived with preferred beheading. From my own experiences, using a chicken wringer with too much force can cause more shocking beheadings. When you've got a butcher knife, at least you expect it & don't drop the chicken.

Leave a comment:

• AL!CE
    replied

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post

Perze mentioned the evolutionary black hole that pandas are. I'm of the opinion that humans are, too. Not just an evolutionary black hole but a willful and delusional black hole.
    Pandas are an evolutionary dead end because they don't like sex much and their diet is dependent on one plant; bamboo. If bamboo goes so does the panda and in the meanwhile they just don't bother reproducing as much as they should.

Humanity is a danger to itself but we are more capable of over coming adversity than any other large mammal. If something wipes us out it'll probably take every mammal larger than a domestic cat with us too.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkfeathers
    replied

I was a very healthy vegetarian for about 10 years. If you get the right mix of legumes, etc., it's sufficient in proteins, etc., and quite cost-effective. I remember going out on a date with a fellow vegetarian during that time, however, who was one of those "pub food" ones Volcaniclastic mentioned....the guy ate potato chips, fried mushrooms, etc. ALL THE TIME!! Lol I still have many meatless days, as I accumulated a lot of recipes during those years that don't include meat, and I simply like them.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    On the subject of eating and killing chickens.... my mother-in-law used to tell a story about how her father couldn't face wringing a chicken's neck so he beheaded it instead, and it then ran (headless) into the house and all around the kitchen splashing blood everywhere.... Eeeuwww.....
    I think, if I recall correctly, that there was one chicken that lived for several months without a head. They fed it by putting a tube down it's neck (the ax was hot from shopping, and cauterized the neck when the head was cut off). Chickens don't really need their head...

Leave a comment:

• ChainLightning
    replied

I can see that there's going to be another debate about human digestive systems and tooth arrangement.

People have circumvented what nature intended, by the ability to reason, rationalize and also to modify not only their environment but their diet. As a species, we're omnivores. As humans, we're what we choose to be. There's a difference. Apples and hams.

Perze mentioned the evolutionary black hole that pandas are. I'm of the opinion that humans are, too. Not just an evolutionary black hole but a willful and delusional black hole.

I know. It's because I eat meat once in a while, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

On the subject of eating and killing chickens.... my mother-in-law used to tell a story about how her father couldn't face wringing a chicken's neck so he beheaded it instead, and it then ran (headless) into the house and all around the kitchen splashing blood everywhere.... Eeeuwww.....

Leave a comment:

• Ophidia
    replied

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    No, you're right. It is silly. I think hardcore vegans (the ones that won't USE animal products either - ie: wool, honey, beeswax, leather) are retarded.
    It's because our brains need easily-processed protein and fat (meat) to keep being modern human brains. We would never have advanced as far as we have without meat.

It's like pandas. Most pandas are functionally retarded because they refuse to eat anything except bamboo. Pandas are still bears, they have claws & teeth and an omnivore's digestive system. But they choose their diet. If they ate like the other bears, they wouldn't be so much of an evolutionary black hole.

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
    Humans are built to mostly eat insects and fruit.
    Humans are true omnivores, but we actually have a hard time extracting useful nutrients from the bodies of most insects. It's the same problem we have with eating grass. Chitin just isn't nutritionally viable for large primates - and most insects are mostly chitin.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

What's the best way to humanely kill a chicken?

(This sounds like the set-up for a bad joke, but it's a serious question...)

Does ringing it's friggin' neck qualify?

Don't make friends with your food. It is apt to cause digestive problems in those who are less than really, really hungry, or with otherwise sensitive stomachs. Enjoy the luxury of being able eat only PC food, most people don't have it...

The usual method of chicken raising goes like this:

Get dozen or so straight run (unsexed) chicks. When they get old enough to sex by eye, eat the males (some people claim the hens lay better if there's a male, but it really doesn't matter). When the hens get old enough to start laying, eat the ones that don't lay. When a hen stops laying, eat it... Unless it's a broody hen. Never eat a broody hen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X