Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
    I'm not going to shoot this idea down yet, but this is going to take a lot of coordinating and forum modification. Not something we have anyone available right now to delve in to. Well discuss this idea in the staff section some time. But there will be nothing like this any time soon.
    Thank you for your honest response. In the meanwhile we can carry on having fun thinking of house names.

Comment

I'm lame. My first thought for four houses... earth, wind, fire and water.

I need to get out more. Or at least let my brain out, from time to time. Elements, sheesh!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Can someone explain to me what the house idea means? (Sorry, I'm slow. My mother says I'm special though!)

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        On my other forum, every August, when the forum has it's anniversary, we have the 'YOT Awards' We have something like 15 categories from 'funniest posts' to, 'most loveable' and there is even 'member you'd most like to have a drink with'. Then someone is chosen to collect votes and everyone votes members for each category. Those who win, get to have the category they won under their name and avatar so it's visible whenever they post. I'm currently sporting YOT's 'Most Lovable' although I also won 'Best fan fic'.

We have a thread for it where we suggest categories for a few months prior. Then when we have agreed on a final list, voting starts 4 weeks before August 11th.

Just another idea..
        This can also be done. If enough members want this, and after it gets talked about in the staff section we can do something similar.
        [4:82]

Comment

Rowling divided Hogwarts (fictional school of Witchcraft, Wizardry and suicidal stupidity*) into 4 student houses. Successes by students reflected well on their houses and failures reflected badly. The students were sorted upon entry by a mind reading hat based on student desire and specific character traits.

Gryffindor got those with exceptional courage (we'll leave alone the issue of the damn rat)

Ravenclaw gained those with a great thirst for knowledge

Slytherin, the cunning and ambitious

Hufflepuff took the fair-minded, loyal and hard-working (and if any of them had ambition to match industry, that should scare the **** out of everyone but decent portions of the fanbase tend to underrate them)

As stated earlier, a great wizard should have ALL of the above. The house structure in that series annoys me more, the more I think of it.

*In universe, suicidal stupidity is not part of the formal title. I consider this oversight evidence of the widespread cultural idiocy and immorality of the Wizarding World in general.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

OK. And how is this related to an internet forum? If members want to have different 'houses' here, does that mean it's simply a title given to them or like actual sections of the forum or what?

So many questions!
            [4:82]

Comment

Can't help you there. The extent of my interest in a house structure is how best to keep the staff from sticking me in one. Its application to a forum is better explained by those who want one.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I think it would be best to keep the serious ideas in their on, separate, threads... This way we can gauge better on who and how many people like the idea, and can even implement polls if needed for their own respective topics.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Okay, I'll start a thread about my awards idea!
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                    OK. And how is this related to an internet forum? If members want to have different 'houses' here, does that mean it's simply a title given to them or like actual sections of the forum or what?

So many questions!
                    It would basically be a bit of friendly competition. You could get points for your house for various things. Staff could maybe give them out as they see fit and/or there could be games and events. So for example a staff member might say "Highest reported score on Nanaca Crash http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...5-Nanaca-Crash!! today gets 10 points for that person's house". Then once every few months the house with the most points would be declared the winners and the scores would be reset to 0. I'm sure you had something a bit like this in one of your schools?

- - - Updated - - -

Neopets just had a Pirates Vs Ninjas event, which is kinda similar.
                    Last edited by AL!CE; 02 Dec 2012, 17:33. Reason: readability

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                      It would basically be a bit of friendly competition. You could get points for your house for various things. Staff could maybe give them out as they see fit and/or their could be games and events. So for example a staff member might say "Highest reported score on Nanaca Crash http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...5-Nanaca-Crash!! today gets 10 points for that person's house". Then once every few months the house with the most points would be declared the winners and the scores would be reset to 0. I'm sure you had something a bit like this in one of your schools?
                      See, when I read your idea, I assumed it would be something more straight forward like an average of post count and reputation of all the members in each group. So active members and popular posters help bump up their house. This is why I wondered if it would be possible to set up the forum to do this. It seems a bit complex to me.

Your idea would only be possible if members were interested enough in getting behind it and the admin had plenty of spare time on their hands. It COULD work, but both ways are complicated.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm with Team Ziltoidia 9:

Click image for larger version

Name:	24199342.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	351548
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                        surrounded by plush, downy things,
                        ill prepared, but willing,
                        to descend."

Comment

I'm with Team No.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            I'm with Team No.
                            Like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	3r2jed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	351549
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                              Like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1265[/ATTACH]
                              lol. yup. I feel bad for that cat. I've seen other pics of him. He's actually like that.
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                                lol. yup. I feel bad for that cat. I've seen other pics of him. He's actually like that.
                                Apparently she's really spoiled, and the owners have used the meme to raise money for charity. I see it as turning lemons into lemonade.
                                my etsy store
                                My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                                X