Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What assumptions did you have when you read usernames of other members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinterTraditions
    replied
    Re: What assumptions did you have when you read usernames of other members?

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
    Anyone with a name involving any combination of 'wolf', 'raven', 'fox', 'star', 'moon', 'dark', 'black', 'silver', 'nightshade', 'thorn', 'blade', 'sword', 'death', 'night', 'vampire' or 'blood' is most like a Special Dark Snowflake. If they've got the Latin equivalents, they're trying to fool people into thinking they aren't Special Dark Snowflakes.

Anyone with a name involving 'white', 'light', 'bright', 'day', 'peace', 'bless', 'gentle', 'heal' - are 'white' witches, Christo-Pagans/Wiccans...

Anyone with a name involving any combination of 'deer', 'feather', 'wind', 'bear', 'running', 'eagle', 'free', 'water', 'clear', 'river' - is a hippy. Or suffering from Post Hippy Dramatic Syndrome.

Anyone with a name involving 'kitsune', 'kami', or 'shini' is a furry or has gotten all of their Pagan learning from anime.

Anyone with a name involving 'chaos', 'kaos', 'kayos', 'Anansi', 'Coyote', or a lot of k, y, z, q, ae, etc. are probably Chaos Magicians, Discordians, Erisians, or something along those lines.

Anyone who just has their own name, why are you not anonymous on the internet? Are you trying to fool people into thinking you have nothing to fear or hide? Or are you a spammer?

Anyone who has a God/deity/well-known spirit's name or some variant thereof, wtf were we thinking?
    I don't fit into any of these groups? xD

Leave a comment:

• kijani
    replied

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
    Anyone with a name involving any combination of 'wolf', 'raven', 'fox', 'star', 'moon', 'dark', 'black', 'silver', 'nightshade', 'thorn', 'blade', 'sword', 'death', 'night', 'vampire' or 'blood' is most like a Special Dark Snowflake. If they've got the Latin equivalents, they're trying to fool people into thinking they aren't Special Dark Snowflakes.

Anyone with a name involving 'white', 'light', 'bright', 'day', 'peace', 'bless', 'gentle', 'heal' - are 'white' witches, Christo-Pagans/Wiccans...

Anyone with a name involving any combination of 'deer', 'feather', 'wind', 'bear', 'running', 'eagle', 'free', 'water', 'clear', 'river' - is a hippy. Or suffering from Post Hippy Dramatic Syndrome.

Anyone with a name involving 'kitsune', 'kami', or 'shini' is a furry or has gotten all of their Pagan learning from anime.

Anyone with a name involving 'chaos', 'kaos', 'kayos', 'Anansi', 'Coyote', or a lot of k, y, z, q, ae, etc. are probably Chaos Magicians, Discordians, Erisians, or something along those lines.

Anyone who just has their own name, why are you not anonymous on the internet? Are you trying to fool people into thinking you have nothing to fear or hide? Or are you a spammer?

Anyone who has a God/deity/well-known spirit's name or some variant thereof, wtf were we thinking?
    First of all, I laughed so hard when I read this that I nearly spewed coca-cola on my screen. With that said, I agree. Completely. With all of it. And I'm still giggling.

Here's a question, and I don't think you covered this one.

What about names involving colors? Or names in foreign languages involving colors? *points to her own username* I'm going to make fun of myself in doing this (and it's partly true in my case lol) but usually these sorts of names make me go "Okay. Someone was playing with their crayola crayons today." or in the case of foreign language color related stuff "Okay, smart a**. That's a lot of effort just to say 'yellow'." (for those of you who DON'T know, 'kijani' is green in swahili... Like I said, poking a bit of fun at myself, too).

>_>

<_<

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
    I kind of wished they'd expand on Alexander's story, actually. He seemed like an interesting character!
    That would have filled the story out more. Figure if Michael is a descendant of his then he had to have fathered other children. Which potentially would mean other "Creatures" might be based from his line as well as so called normal people.

Leave a comment:

• Juniper
    replied

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Have to admit that's what I tend to think of first when I see that name. Sort of wonder is it a werewolf, vampire or the head of the family that has to clean up the messes of the kids.
    I kind of wished they'd expand on Alexander's story, actually. He seemed like an interesting character!

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
    I see Corvus, I just think of the Underworld movie. :P
    Have to admit that's what I tend to think of first when I see that name. Sort of wonder is it a werewolf, vampire or the head of the family that has to clean up the messes of the kids.

Leave a comment:

• Willow
    replied

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
    heh I love it. I've been trying to think of something other than corvus since I've sorta moved away from what it represents in my life but I cant think of anything. I guess corvus has just become me ^^;

I try not to judge too much based on names but I assumed a few things sometimes
    V I thought was a rock nut since volcano- and clastic is a kind of rock (volcanic rock I think)
    Thal has a thing for water since her name is sea in greek
    caelia I thought was something deep and spiritual which I knew not of from some ancient myth. Come to think of it I still don't know what it means.
    Perz I thought the z was odd but maybe she wanted to seem more hip? probably someone who's dealt with Persephone.
    Bjorn something Slavic or shamanistic?
    Hawkfeathers bird lover
    Gardenia flower lover
    Junpier ... well I still think of the Juniper tree story which just leads me down a whole train of thought which is better left unthought
    Dakini Rose Isnt Dakini a tantric goddess? maybe this person does yoga
    I see Corvus, I just think of the Underworld movie. :P

Leave a comment:

• Heka
    replied

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
    Guys, for the 235432344th time. I have no idea what the correct pronunciation is. Just say it which ever way you want

Or you know ... you can call me Daddy.
    *shakes head*

Leave a comment:

• Shahaku
    replied

So, D, I looked it up. Man I love google.
    One place says DOO-moo-zee
    the other: duːmʊzi
    There was one site that had the pronunciation in a little vocal box thing, but I couldn't get it to work.
    So, there we go.lol

Leave a comment:

• Yorin
    replied

Guys, for the 235432344th time. I have no idea what the correct pronunciation is. Just say it which ever way you want

o.O Well then lol

As for any assumptions for names, I don't know for me. Honestly it's more a "oh hey, that's their name on here, cool"

Leave a comment:

• Dumuzi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Juniper
    replied

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    I've been way off! Possibly the worst. I was reading it as, Dumootsee (Dʌmʊt'si: ). I guess because I was learning German when I re-joined this forum, so was used to reading 'z' as 'ts'.
    You're not alone. :P

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Originally posted by Heka View Post
    Yay I've been saying it right! Haha
    I've been way off! Possibly the worst. I was reading it as, Dumootsee (Dʌmʊt'si: ). I guess because I was learning German when I re-joined this forum, so was used to reading 'z' as 'ts'.

Leave a comment:

• Heka
    replied

In my head it sounds like doomoozee. Not sure if that's the correct pronunciation though.
    Yay I've been saying it right! Haha

Leave a comment:

• Kahlenda
    replied

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    Dumuzi... I have been pronouncing that wrong for four years... this is gonna take quite an effort to correct.

Best guess on how my mind works? Kahl=caul. +d +n = cauldron. Now I have an image of a playful alchemist over a cauldron.. that's really not gonna work out. Next option? Colander. And you're definitely not a strainer. Remember, it's simply a very first impression/reaction.

hahah nah nah its fine not a problem just wondered how you came to the couldron thing hahaha

Leave a comment:

• Dumuzi
    replied

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    Dumuzi... I have been pronouncing that wrong for four years... this is gonna take quite an effort to correct.
    No no. You might be right, I really don't know what the correct pronunciation is. Was just saying how it sounded in my head.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X